User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Todo Bien

A phrase I have been using since I began my trip south from Phoenix Arizona to Cozumel. I use it as a question, an answer, and it even seems to work as a greeting. Tonight I am in Acayucan Mexico. I am heading North again, towards los estados unidos, after covering some 3500 miles since departing December 16th, 2014. I am probably 3 to 4 days away from mi casa. I have a decent internet connection and so I thought I would post some pics of my journey. Mexico is a beautiful complicated Country. I could spend a million lifetimes travelling through Mexico and not even feel like I scratched the surface of all she has to share....For my friend DK.....

Mocorito

Olive gets her own room in Mocorito

Doing Laundry in one sweet sink

One from today - Palenque Mayan Ruins

And one from Cozumel, just a few days ago....

Where it all began:

I jetted off to Tucson on the 9th of December after realizing my passport had expired Luckily we have a passport center there and after a short conversation with the attendant and $170 later, I had my passport USPS'd to my front door in two days!

Jetting back from Tucson after visiting the Tucson passport center

Documents in order, insurance paid, it's now or never. The view stateside looking at the Nogales border crossing.

I'm in Mexico! Maybe lunch in Hermosillo

Lunch Stop

KM 21 1st stop for TVIP and Tourist Visa. Make sure you make copies and carry originals of your passport, registration/title, insurance etc. Get the tourist visa copied for the banjercito. I got lucky when the attractive young lady behind the counter didn't send me out the door to get it copied. She felt pity on me after I used the saddest eyes and face I could make. She got up from her chair, walked to the back and made a copy. She was really pretty....

In line

Road to Guaymas was a mad house! Three vehicles playing who could die the fastest went off the road doing 80 or 90. They passed me right before it happened. I thought to myself "not long for the World." Sure enough, about a quarter click down the road, there was a ball of dust and smoke. I knew there was nothing I could do, dozens had already stopped to help. Right before I got into Guaymas for the night, an ambulance, a bombero and a couple police cars were heading towards the accident, not as rescuers, but rather as "collectors...." what a sad thing to witness right before Christmas. Lesson for the rest of the trip! Ride your ride and slow the F down....
Guaymas Holiday Inn Express. One nice Hotel!

Room with a view

Waking up

Great way to load and unload gear

Olive out front, ready for another day

1st I had to see the water - love the sea

Next stop Mocorito! A fellow Inmate suggested this small town and I have to say it has been one of my all time favorites in this whole damn beautiful trip! Asta til later....

toowoomba screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 09:58 PM
toowoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424

Well worth the wait! What was your choice of apparel for wet weather riding? Is it working to your satisfaction?
There are two pictures of your ride report that may need to be re uploaded... Might be my connection too... The one in Tucson and the other is the very last pic... It's just all black.

DurtKlod screwed with this post 01-06-2015 at 04:03 PM
DurtKlod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
Hey toowomba if near Guadalajara stop by for a visit. Give me a couple of days notice as I am out and about a lot. If not in the area, be sure to come back soon paisano.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post

Well worth the wait! What was your choice of apparel for wet weather riding? Is it working to your satisfaction?
There are two pictures of your ride report that may need to be re uploaded... Might be my connection too... The one in Tucson and the other is the very last pic... It's just all black.
Hey Durt, thanks for the info. I have a pretty sketchy internet connection tonight, so may not be able to fix the pics. My BILT gear is holding up quite nicely. A little damp, but should be good to go by tomorrow. I left Acayucan early this morning to a damp tropical wet front that turned into a 5 hour ride in the rain. Slowly built up, so I was able to settle in to a day of rain. Climbing up and over the mountains outside Córdoba, was like driving through a cloud. I only snagged a couple pics, none while I was in the thick of it. But it was beautiful scenery. Unable to upload pics tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to continue where I left off.... Coming off the mountain heading towards Puebla, the rain let up and the sun came out - what a great feeling that is! Asta til later
Old 01-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Hey toowomba if near Guadalajara stop by for a visit. Give me a couple of days notice as I am out and about a lot. If not in the area, be sure to come back soon paisano.
Thanks Kiko. Heading farther north tomorrow, probably towards Leon. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to take you up on your kind offer! Gracias amigo
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
You will like Leon, muy cool plaza and surrounding pedestrian walks blocked off from traffic. Great place to buy shoes or leather goods. There is another inmate who will be there or near there probably tomorrow or the day after, junyah. Check out his ride report.

I'd like to go there but I have something going on in Michoacan this week so I will be riding south.

Keep close tabs on your bike and your tank bag etc, I got hit about 3 weeks ago in GTO and lost a chromebook, samsung tablet and G12 Canon camera in the afternoon at a Walmart (mi bodega aurrera) parking lot no more than 15' from a bus stop and no one saw anything. Dec and Jan seem to be more heavy for petty theft, the locals say because all of the Mexicans from the North come down for the holidays. You'll have a great time, be sure to go to Guanajuato city and see las momias.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Hey,those two pictures finally loaded 100%. Don't know if it's something you did or if my internet connection finally allowed them to load.
So, having never ridden in the rain, I've never had to deal with this, hence the dumb question... How do you see when your face shield is covered in rain? RainX? Reach up and wipe it off every so often?

While you are down there enjoying the warmth, it snowed a little up here...

Followed by a fantastic sunset...

We are currently sitting at 6 degrees and slowly falling!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey,those two pictures finally loaded 100%. Don't know if it's something you did or if my internet connection finally allowed them to load.
So, having never ridden in the rain, I've never had to deal with this, hence the dumb question... How do you see when your face shield is covered in rain? RainX? Reach up and wipe it off every so often? While you are down there enjoying the warmth, it snowed a little up here...

Followed by a fantastic sunset...

We are currently sitting at 6 degrees and slowly falling!
What great photographs! Your House looks cozy and warm! That's one beautiful sunset! Put an ocean and a palm tree in that pic, raise the ambient temp up to about 78-80 and I'm there.... Truly looks like Home Durt! Wish I could send some sun.

Never heard of rain x, but I'd be willing to try it and anything else that would assist in keeping rain from impeding vision. I used the take left hand off of handlebar and wipe face shield then repeat method, along with tucking my head one side or the other to let the wind velocity blow the water off. I thought if I guy could invent a small face shield wiper, I'd try that too! So here's where I stopped to give thanks after a brief reprieve from the rain during my descent towards Puebla. The other picture is looking back at what I had just come over.

And now back to Mocorito..... I stayed in the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The People/Staff were incredibly welcoming and the Town was like going back in time. Beautiful town square, very well kept and all the People had a Buenos Tardes or an Hola. Great Town, thanks to fellow inmate "going south," for the suggestion.

Brand new Hotel, only been open 3 days, but it felt like it had been there from the beginning. Smells of the wood and stone floors reminded me of South America. Loved it here!

Great Staff

Lobby for a King

He gave me his blessings

What a room

She never gave me her name, cold as stone

Morning has broken

Met this Gentlemen who offered the sage advice of "only stopping for official Police, Municple or Federal and the Military." Advice that would come in very handy down the road. "Be especially watchful for Black SUV's...."

I'll add more later, but for now the proverbial Mexican Internet is doing it's thing again....
slowly
slower
slow

Finally, one from tonight. My view out the restaurant door.... Todo Bien and Buenos Noches mis amigos

toowoomba screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 10:20 PM
Old 01-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowoomba View Post

Met this Gentlemen who offered the sage advice of "only stopping for official Police, Municple or Federal and the Military." Advice that would come in very handy down the road. "Be especially watchful for Black SUV's...."
I remember you writing somewhere else about some tense moments with a black SUV... interested to learn more about that... unless that's all it was.

Look at that other guy behind you checking out Olive's body while you've got your back turned!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
You will like Leon, muy cool plaza and surrounding pedestrian walks blocked off from traffic. Great place to buy shoes or leather goods. There is another inmate who will be there or near there probably tomorrow or the day after, junyah. Check out his ride report.

I'd like to go there but I have something going on in Michoacan this week so I will be riding south.

Keep close tabs on your bike and your tank bag etc, I got hit about 3 weeks ago in GTO and lost a chromebook, samsung tablet and G12 Canon camera in the afternoon at a Walmart (mi bodega aurrera) parking lot no more than 15' from a bus stop and no one saw anything. Dec and Jan seem to be more heavy for petty theft, the locals say because all of the Mexicans from the North come down for the holidays. You'll have a great time, be sure to go to Guanajuato city and see las momias.
Internet is good tonight! Sorry to hear about some of your belongings being stolen, just sucks that there are people in the World who lack respete for others. To me it boils down to respect for other peoples belongings, beliefs and way of life. That criminal element somehow needs to be removed from the gene pool.

Never made it to Leon, ended up taking a slight detour. So many roads and so little time. The farther I made it north, the colder it has gotten. Uhg, I'm not quite ready to give up the sea, sand and sun. Thanks Kiko for the Junyah ride report info. Great RR! Wish I could have hooked up with some of you heavy weights while I was down Mexico way. Hopefully one of these days. Safe travels!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
toowoomba OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I remember you writing somewhere else about some tense moments with a black SUV... interested to learn more about that... unless that's all it was.

Look at that other guy behind you checking out Olive's body while you've got your back turned!
Can't really blame the guy I still am enamored with Olive, more so now than ever, especially after 5000 trouble free miles. She has performed flawlessly. Only one issue - I have been unable to open the gas hatch using the original key. Started somewhere in the Yucatan. Luckily I brought along a spare. Tonights postings will be random as I am headed home in the next couple of days and will be putting my nose to the proverbial grindstone. Sad that this adventure is coming to an end. I already have an idea for my next trip. Ferry from Florida to Cancun is supposed to be up and running soon. So drive to Florida, ferry to Cancun, then drop into Belize, Honduras and come back up through Guatemala.

Todays ride was cold, I encountered a warning and a snowflake icon for most of todays 400 miles. Oh how I miss the Sun!!!

This little piece of paradise was near San Blas. Stayed in a beautiful B&B run by two Americans who rode down there 11 years ago in this -

They were 69 and 70 when they rode that down, 11 years ago.....

Night all, buenos noches.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 549
Keep posting amigo

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowoomba View Post

Fantastic! I don't know what it is about that first one but I really like the composition of the picture. The second one is just... Wow?
Florida to Cancun by Ferry? How long a boat ride would that be?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, I had to mess with that one... I'm a sucker for silvered black n whites...

And then on the flip side, sometimes a little overkill can really make the colors pop...
Old 01-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Couldn't leave well enough alone...

...and get this... The font name of the "TODO BIEN" is Hermann.