Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #376
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
........................ It couldn't last. Burkhard had one of his very good ideas. "I av a veery gut offroad weg zum Tekirova von 'ere" he said in his best Turkish accent. Then all hell broke loose, or at least my panniers, dental fillings and anything that wasn't strapped down did. Here's Sep doing a very good job of keeping his modified R60 Beemer upright

The "road" consited mostly of soft stone and dry clay which would crumble as you went over it threatening imminent front end wash-outs and offering little in the way of grip. This nonsense went on for two hours and 20 km's up and down and down and up. The temp was up in the 30's and my radiator fan fuse had blown so things were beginning to get quite heated

Look, here's the mad German off to seek out more thrills

Eventually we made it to a secluded cove. As I looked around I found I had been deserted

Seems as though Burkhard had heard my "when we get to a nice quiet spot I'll DROWN THE BAS...D!" mutterings and had decided to do a runner along with Sep

After feeling quite chilled by being pleasantly chilled by the cool water I decided to let bygones be bygones, grit my teeth and get on with it. This calm state of mind lasted until we reached the track as another hour of pleasure commenced. "Come back here you Frankfurter munching thingemejig, you!!!!!!!!!!"

And to cap it all he said "Vy do you zink zat I rite my xt600 und not meine XT660R like you". Crafty bugger, no wonder we can't beat 'em at football

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 11:36 AM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #377
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.........................Back once again on the main roads and it was time to fill up and admire Sep's off road weapon

Then a blast through the rush hour traffic in Antalya, out the other end and a mindless trip past the thousands off billboards that line the route to Manavgat. We turned off at the sign for Koprulu Kanyon where I next saw Burkhard and Sep trying to talk down a jumper

Now apparently Carlos had fallen on hard times and decided to end it all

He sported the maniacal grin of one at peace with himself and the world and before we knew it he was off visiting his maker

Hey that's not meant to happen said I as Carlos surfaced and started swimming towards the river bank.

Turns out that Burkhard had bunged him twenty lira to jump off

Leaving the two nutters to their pranks I toddled off to take a piccie or two of what this place is famous for, bridges. Kopru means bridge. Hopefully nobody would be jumping off these.

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 11:37 AM
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #378
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.....................Then it was time to rest our weary heads. More by good luck than good management we found the only rafting centre/camping ground/ retaurant that was open. After a fish supper the cares (what cares?) of the day were washed away with a couple of Efes and the gentle lapping of the river against our sleeping quarters

You can just imagine the mischief going through this man's mind

Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #379
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

.....................The next day rose brighter than I did after a nights dreaming of being washed away, being eaten by non existant sharks and playing cards on the river bed with the trout I had wolfed down the night before. Good stuff that Efes beer.

Whilst I searched for breakfast some of the locals were having theirs while some youngsters had a scrap

Today we were off to play in the Dedegol mountains. We were in paradise. Breathtaking views from high passes, fertile fields, friendly folk, prosperous villages and no other vehicles on the roads.

Sep trying to take it all in

After six hours of bliss it was time to wind open the throttle and head back for Kas. Though we did manage to visit the Candir reservoir on the way home

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #380
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Damned.
And I'm stuck at work under heavy loads..... Even worst ! I'll be in the company HQs next week.... town of the infamous 1st magic roundabout !
yes, England..... call me looser.
While you are having tons of fun out there and Dirkos and his mates are approaching Greece while sending me SMS telling me how great life is.....
I may have offended God/Allah in some ways, that's for sure !

Viel Spass, as they say.
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #381
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Eek!!! Bloody good ride you are doing there Turks Keep them coming.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #382
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
Damned.
And I'm stuck at work under heavy loads..... Even worst ! I'll be in the company HQs next week.... town of the infamous 1st magic roundabout !
yes, England..... call me looser.
While you are having tons of fun out there and Dirkos and his mates are approaching Greece while sending me SMS telling me how great life is.....
I may have offended God/Allah in some ways, that's for sure !

Viel Spass, as they say.
/thierry
"Loser!!"

Well, apparently you have to mix work with play so Dirkos and me have come to an arrangement. You do all the work and we'll play

How come you have the time to read this? You aren't multi tasking are you? Juliet would be proud. That's something I can't do. Allegedly!! Say Hi to England for me would you. Most of the snow should have gone, along with the last prime minister, by the time you get there.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #383
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Yayla time.................

It's warming up and folk are heading off to the Yaylas (high pastures). Juliet was busy with the new lodger, found orphaned under a car

so I'd better slope off and check out the pastures Around May time folks in these parts take their goats, sheep and belongings up to the high grounds where the air is cooler and fresher and grazing is plentiful. A month ago this pass was snowbound

Now most of the snow has gone. What's left of it can be found flowing down the mountains

Some of the peaks still have snow

but the valleys are bereft of the stuff

and so the annual migration begins. This husband wife and son were part of the advance party. This will be their home for the next six months.

In a couple of weeks time this area will be full of families with their animals

Some of the infrastructure is already in place such as kilims for relaxing in

and vegetable gardens

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #384
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

......................to protect their flocks and herds the locals use these fellas

known as Kangols. This youngster has had his ears clipped as an aid to sharper hearing. He also sports a rather fetching collar to prevent potentially fatal wounds being caused to the neck by ferocious................
............puppies

There are plenty of youngsters around

These were on water carrying duty

to take home

All was well with the world until the bike spluttered to a halt. All the bouncing about had caused the negative battery cable eyelet to break. Nothing a cable tie or two can't fix.

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 10:41 AM
Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #385
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Some lovely pics there DickyB. Those sheep dogs and their collars of spikes, know them well from Syria......ferocious and protective of their heard of sheep, they do their job well ....was mountain biking then......would love to meet them again on my GS....not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb
......................to protect their flocks and herds the locals use these fellas

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #386
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

...............Up in the mountains it was a cool 12 degrees Celsius. Back on the coast it was in the mid twenties. The sea at Kaputas was doing it's stuff

Now, if anyone can explain what makes the sea that colour then please go ahead.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #387
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
We recognise that :-)

P&Cxxx

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #388
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowes
Some lovely pics there DickyB. Those sheep dogs and their collars of spikes, know them well from Syria......ferocious and protective of their heard of sheep, they do their job well ....was mountain biking then......would love to meet them again on my GS....not
Cheers Bowes,

Yep, the blighters can scare the living daylights out of you when they come tearing towards you out of nowhere, usually from a flank. I find that stopping in my tracks and making good dog noises usually confuses the life out of them and they revert to being bashful pups. Mind you when I am stopped it's usually with the clutch in, a low gear selected and right hand firmly wrapped around the throttle.

This one didn't speak English and had no concept of the expression "Good dog"

Cheers,

DickyB
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #389
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle
We recognise that :-)

P&Cxxx
Hey Mcgiggles,

Thought you might but what causes it? I'm struggling here

Cheers,

Dave
Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #390
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Hi Dave,
Why is the sea blue some places and green other places? Color's a tricky thing to understand. Every single color you see is an ingredient in pure white light. (Sunlight is a good example of white light.) A rainbow lets you see the main ingredients in white light -- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Colors such as light blue, pale green or fuchsia are there, too. What colors you see depends on which colors of white light are absorbed by an object, and which colors bounce back to your eyes. Say you are looking at a red book. The chemical and physical make-up of the book lets it absorb all the colors except red. The red bounces off the book and back to your eye. And the sea? Well, scientists don't agree on this one. Some say light from the blue sky reflects off the water to you eye, and that color of water itself is greenish-blue. Others say water is blue, and that oceans look green along the coasts because underwater plants reflect more green. Either way, the next time you go for a dip in the sea, look closely. There's more to water's color than meets the eye!

HTH
P&C

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote