User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
KTM 690 electrical failure

Hey fellas, hopefully someone here can help me get my 2008 KTM 690 SMC going again. The other day I took it out for a spin and right in the middle of a wheelie my dash lights started flashing and the bike shut off. I got it started again while still rolling, but it only stayed running for about 15 seconds before the same thing happened again. The entire dash display was flashing on and off.

When I disconnect and reconnect the battery the dash will come on for a few seconds and then shut right back off. I know it's not my battery as I tested with a known good one. I've checked the connections and grounds on most everything I could think to check, I made sure the screws on the relay were tight, no fuses are blown...to include the relay fuse, I checked the wires running under the battery box and those are good.

The only thing that looks suspect is the wires on the connector coming from the ignition. There are 3 wires going into a connector by the airfilter, 2 of these wires that go into one connection are slightly exposed....you can see bare wire about 1mm out from the connector...although the crimp inside the connector still appears to be good. I also have the Power Commander V...I wonder if this could be the culprit? Any thoughts on what else to inspect?
Benjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
First check all your grounds for corrosion. Then test the voltage regulator. It's a known failure point.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjd View Post
Hey fellas, hopefully someone here can help me get my 2008 KTM 690 SMC going again. The other day I took it out for a spin and right in the middle of a wheelie my dash lights started flashing and the bike shut off. I got it started again while still rolling, but it only stayed running for about 15 seconds before the same thing happened again. The entire dash display was flashing on and off.

When I disconnect and reconnect the battery the dash will come on for a few seconds and then shut right back off. I know it's not my battery as I tested with a known good one. I've checked the connections and grounds on most everything I could think to check, I made sure the screws on the relay were tight, no fuses are blown...to include the relay fuse, I checked the wires running under the battery box and those are good.

The only thing that looks suspect is the wires on the connector coming from the ignition. There are 3 wires going into a connector by the airfilter, 2 of these wires that go into one connection are slightly exposed....you can see bare wire about 1mm out from the connector...although the crimp inside the connector still appears to be good. I also have the Power Commander V...I wonder if this could be the culprit? Any thoughts on what else to inspect?
Easy enough to rule out the PC V, just disconnect it, then reconnect up the original harness. It only takes a few seconds. When you turn the key on are you getting any codes flashing?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
SMCRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Did you get anywhere with this? my bike is having similar problems.
SMCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thumb Similar Issue but Quits When Wet

Hey Gents, I have a 2008 690E and it runs like a champ until it gets wet.
Then it won't start until it dries out. Fortunately the bike is in Tucson so it dries out pretty fast! But I still need to fix this issue since it might be going up for sale in the near future.

I will attempt to attach a short video of the FI error, actually it throws more than one when it occurs:

14: input signal of pressure sensor ambient air too low/high, and
68: connection of the manifold pressure sensor is not airtight.

I think the moisture causes an electrical short and trips the error code rather than there being an actual mechanical issue but would be interested in opinions of guys that are in the know!
Any suggestions appreciated.

ArcticRider screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 08:13 PM
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote