ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #61
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAdvRider
Just got this from TVNAV:

Hi Randall, the 478 does not come with the software. GARMIN use to give it to us but they recently started charging us for it. We can include it for an additional $20.00. Thanks.

Darrel Goheen
GPS@tvnav.com
http://www.tvnav.com
Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800
AIM: TVNAVGARMIN

So, what that means is that I can get the 478 for $690 (refurb) and get the CNNT2009 Unlocked DVD to install on my PC for and additional $20! That is like... Almost Free!

And the 478 comes with everything to use it in the car including speaker etc.

All I need then is the $10 ram mount and I'm on the road for $720. Beat that!

Yes, I know that some like the touratech mount. I'm cheap. Move on.
TVNav IS awesome.

But that $20 covers the disk. Since you already have the unlock code, ANY CN North America NT 2009 disk will work for you.

P.S. I'd buy the disk.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #62
LowAdvRider
Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer: 131
478 screen

Just went for a ride with my wife. Just now got back. It was nearly dark and we where trying to find the road to a kayaking destination. Couldn't see the 2610 well because of oncoming lights etc. Screen is junk. Same resolution as the Zumo etc. Almost missed the road and did a ABS stop to make the turn. Idiot. Ended up with my wife pasted to my back.

I need the 478. My eyes are getting old. And my wife is worth it.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #63
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAdvRider

I need the 478. My eyes are getting old. And my wife is worth it.
I know nobody asked but here's a feature most miss. The 478 will allow you to have 3 screen brightness levels, full, minimum, and a mid point that you can select. With the unit on, press the power button briefly to access the brightness control. Select a brightness level using the rocker and press enter. The unit will now default to this brightness level when turned on but if you access the brightness control using the power button and then press the power button again you get full bright, press again and you get minimum, once more and back to default. Works in daylight or night mode. I've found it handiest at night, full bright is very distracting IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #64
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
The more I use the 478, the more I LOVE this thing.

I'm slowly fine tuning it to make it run the way I like it to.

I really like the fact I can make it ask me how I want it to calc the route each time I head somewhere. Shortest Distance? Quickest Time? Avoid Main Roads? I think the 2820 made me pick one method in the setup screen then used that method until I went back to the setup screen and told it otherwise.

I reset the direction of travel to be towards the top of the unit. It was kinda funny to watch the State of Tennessee spin around in circles. I'm not sure I'm completely crazy about this setting, but it's a little easier for me to figure out where I should be looking for my next turn. I think I liked the 2820's way of handling this a little better. I'm going to check my 2820 tonight and see how it's set and see if there's a similar setting on the 478.

The only thing I'm missing is a quick way to mute the XM. Anybody gots a suggestion? I'm just using the volume control on the dongle that Swashplate and I are using, but I'm hoping for something even quicker.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #65
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
The more I use the 478, the more I LOVE this thing.

I'm slowly fine tuning it to make it run the way I like it to.

I really like the fact I can make it ask me how I want it to calc the route each time I head somewhere. Shortest Distance? Quickest Time? Avoid Main Roads? ...
Set up the Custom Road Preferences and you will have 4 ways...
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #66
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Back to the questions...

I put together some custom routes a while back in MapSource for my 2820, but for some reason of the seven routes, only two of them made it. Any ideas what's going on here? I have a sneaking suspicion that a couple of odd waypoints are my routes that have been mis-interpreted by the 478.

Also, when you're picking an Icon for a waypoint, one of the categories is "Custom". I thought you'd get the custom icon if you added it to a waypoint in MapSource then upload the waypoint to the 478 with the new icon. Is that how it's done? If not, anyone know how to get them in there?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #67
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Back to the questions...

I put together some custom routes a while back in MapSource for my 2820, but for some reason of the seven routes, only two of them made it. Any ideas what's going on here? I have a sneaking suspicion that a couple of odd waypoints are my routes that have been mis-interpreted by the 478.

Also, when you're picking an Icon for a waypoint, one of the categories is "Custom". I thought you'd get the custom icon if you added it to a waypoint in MapSource then upload the waypoint to the 478 with the new icon. Is that how it's done? If not, anyone know how to get them in there?
Ximage is the app for graphics transfer. RTM, trust me.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #68
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Ximage is the app for graphics transfer. RTM, trust me.

I just figgerd that out and realised I didn't know what I was doing or replacing, so I decided to bail. I know you have to replace one or more of the generic type symbols in order to get your custom icon in there. A feature sadly lacking on the 2820.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #69
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Back to the questions...

Crap.

I keep answering my own questions.

I had to open each route, recalculate them, then re-upload them to the 478. Standard GPS stuff.

Okay. This route transfer business is hinkey at best. If the route doesn't have the little car beside it, the 478 won't know what to do with it and will delete it after you select it, realise it won't navigate the route, and quit out of it.

Xeraux screwed with this post 09-03-2008 at 08:52 AM
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #70
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

I made a custom BMW Roundel for the 478.

You'll need to use your graphics program to convert it to a .bmp file, but the quality will be identical.

I used paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/) to create it. Nice little free graphics program.

Name:  BMW_Logo.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  1.9 KB

Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #71
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

What the hell, here's a KTM logo, too.

Same as above. Use your graphics program to convert it to a .bmp file.

Name:  ktmlogo_orange.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  3.6 KB

Old 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #72
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Also made a custom sunshade for the 478 out of an old plastic folder. (No, I do not own a KLR. ) It's a little more stout than the Touratech GPS Sunshade I was using on my 2820.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #73
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,618
I've never felt I needed a sunshade on the 276 series gps's. My 478 is very bright.

Now the Zumo, and the 2730...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #74
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Also made a custom sunshade for the 478 out of an old plastic folder. (No, I do not own a KLR. ) It's a little more stout than the Touratech GPS Sunshade I was using on my 2820.

Looks good. Now replace that Garmin mount before the unit bounces off your scoot one day. It's happened to others.

Even though it may take a while, the TT MvG is awesome, and awesome insurance.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #75
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
Now replace that Garmin mount before the unit bounces off your scoot one day. It's happened to others.
Really?

That's the marine mount with the metal pins that stick and lock into the unit.