User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
Achtung OP
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
86 Honda XL600R won't start.

I'm helping a friend of mine get his 86 Honnda XL 600R going. The problem is the left side of the cylinder head under what appears to be an inspection cover of some sort, there is a chunk broken off of the actual cylinder head. Now each time you kick the bike over you can hear compression coming out and if you cover the hole with your finger you can feel the intake sucking air back in. Now when you reomove the five or so screws securing the cover there is a metal gasket with a sort of baffle in it and at the bottom of the cavity is a machined hole that obviously leads into the combustion chamber. Does anybody know what this hole and steel gasket are for? Also has anybody had any experience with these bikes leading them to believe that this problem is indicative of something more serious going on, ie that hole is not supposed to lead into the combustion chamber your decompression valve must be broken in half type of problem? He claims to have checked the manual and it has no mention of said cover. Any advice or ideas are welcomed. Thanks John
Old 03-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,178
A couple of good photos may be of use - bit hard to say what's actually going on here?

Steve
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
John, check over at http://www.XLintperformance.com
I had a '87 XL600R a while back. I think that the automatic compression release mechanism was originally in that left side cover, but in later models it was moved to the other side and just lifted an exhaust valve. The cover was still there as a vestige. I don't remember much about the bike, but the guys on the XLint Perf forum always had the answers.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Achtung OP
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
John, check over at http://www.XLintperformance.com
I had a '87 XL600R a while back. I think that the automatic compression release mechanism was originally in that left side cover, but in later models it was moved to the other side and just lifted an exhaust valve. The cover was still there as a vestige. I don't remember much about the bike, but the guys on the XLint Perf forum always had the answers.
Thanks I believe that is exactly what it is. I went to the dealership and looked up the cover gasket and its called a compression release gasket. However the compression release is cable actuated and on the other side on this bike, so it must be some left over junk. I'm going to check out that sight.
John
Old 03-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

No problem. An XL expert once told that extra little compartment on the left side was an egg cooker, just put one in and it will cook it
Old 03-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #6
jlsworks
Acid Stained

Oddometer: 781
Dammit! that brings back some kicking memories. No holes in the motor, but my old '85 XL600R suffered badly from bad/sensitive coils. Once I figured that out and bulked up in the weight room doing squats, it was fine.
jlsworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsworks
Dammit! that brings back some kicking memories. No holes in the motor, but my old '85 XL600R suffered badly from bad/sensitive coils. Once I figured that out and bulked up in the weight room doing squats, it was fine.
Screw that shit, magic button DRZ for me baby!
Old 03-27-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
jdiaz

Oddometer: 31,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Screw that shit, magic button DRZ for me baby!
I added a kicker to my DRZ-E, and it usually fires on the first or second kick if I don't mess up the throttle drill. I just do it to screw with the Yamaha guys, who seem to have to do everything but sacrifice a chicken to get their bikes to start. :):

Jon
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote