Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #61
Hogan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yeah, I'm well aware that using any flight of stairs in DC as a makeshift jump is means to have at least 10 guns pulled on you by members of various government agencies. It still seems like a decently fun time regardless. I'm sure not quite the same, seeing as launching off said stairs is part of the joy of the job, it might be worth looking into. Although, I feel I probably am too late what with the invention of the internet, and e-mail, and blackberries, and all sorts of things that make life more convenient, there is probably much less of a demand for motorcycle couriers, but they probably still exist in limited quantities.

You're right though, if I did get such a job, I wouldn't be able to pull of the same stuff, I would have to obey at least the minimum... But then again, if I get a supermoto... Is there really any other way to ride one?
Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #62
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan
Yeah, I'm well aware that using any flight of stairs in DC as a makeshift jump is means to have at least 10 guns pulled on you by members of various government agencies. It still seems like a decently fun time regardless. I'm sure not quite the same, seeing as launching off said stairs is part of the joy of the job, it might be worth looking into. Although, I feel I probably am too late what with the invention of the internet, and e-mail, and blackberries, and all sorts of things that make life more convenient, there is probably much less of a demand for motorcycle couriers, but they probably still exist in limited quantities.

You're right though, if I did get such a job, I wouldn't be able to pull of the same stuff, I would have to obey at least the minimum... But then again, if I get a supermoto... Is there really any other way to ride one?
If you make it happen, better make sure you tell us all about it :)
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #63
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
Truly great stories. Your writings are a nice change from the usual ride reports.

thanks

Aloysius
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #64
Hogan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
If you make it happen, better make sure you tell us all about it :)
For sure! I've already been looking into it... Well, the bike I 'need' anyway... I think a new WR250X is in order, now I just need to find the job itself hahaha.
Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #65
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,349
I managed to find that pic of me on my TS185 in Montgomery, AL in 1979 (could have been early 1980). My brother was dabbling in photography at the time and took this b&w pic.....

We built the ramp ourselves and played around in the field behind my dad's house. I seem to recall that my record was 37 feet....

This is the bike that I used to drive down the railroad tracks, as mentioned earlier in this RR. Somewhere, I think I have a pic of that girl from England who broke her wrist on the back of my GS450 (well, OFF of my GS450, technically speaking.....).
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider

GB screwed with this post 09-13-2008 at 08:36 PM
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #66
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones
I managed to find that pic of me on my TS185 in Montgomery, AL in 1979 (could have been early 1980). My brother was dabbling in photography at the time and took this b&w pic.....

Attachment 186128

We built the ramp ourselves and played around in the field behind my dad's house. I seem to recall that my record was 37 feet....

This is the bike that I used to drive down the railroad tracks, as mentioned earlier in this RR. Somewhere, I think I have a pic of that girl from England who broke her wrist on the back of my GS450 (well, OFF of my GS450, technically speaking.....).
Great stuff!! Love it, the pic scanned perfectly.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #67
wa.tarider
transalper

Oddometer: 139
Great stuff

Now that's adventure!!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride and even some history Try to get the magazines to run them. You are that good!
wa.tarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #68
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 772
London

7 years in the game in London,got me where I am now.Cx500,s CB250rs,s VT500,s GT550-GT750,S all part of the game.Went every where,Seen every thing.Delivered everything,everywhere,legal documents to frozen rabbits.
7 in the morning London winter,pitch black,rain,snow,freezing,gail blowing.Summer swealtering none of that all the gear stuff,watching the girls go by in Soho.Celebrities,Royals,Judges,CEO,s.Models actually the only real shitheads.
A huge gang of us all working in different companies,meeting up in the weirdest places,always drinking tea,coffee sitting waiting for the next job.
The summer lul,the christmas rush,being sent one up to Croydon,being sent the other direction from home last thing at night.
Two top boxes one bungeed to the back seat,handlebar muffs,waterproof worn all day so the sweat cant get out and you end up soaked anyway.
Sitting in some reception in full raingear,freezing outside but roasting inside,dilema to take it off or not.
7 whole years,the best of times and the worst as the saying goes.
One of the old gang walked in to my bar in Ecuador today and writing this the only thing I really miss is the boys,we,re all middle aged men now.But those indeed were the days.
To any old London despatch riders on here.
Here,s to Us,who,s like us? Damn few and they,re all dead
Albert theturtleshead
ex GLH,TURBO EXPRESS,ADDISON LEE,ANDERSON YOUNG,MACH 1 AND REUTER BROOKS.
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #69
andrew150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Great Stuff

Thanks for the stories. I have watched some documentaries of bicycle couriers in NYC, pretty cool!

Andrew
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #70
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead
7 years in the game in London,got me where I am now.Cx500,s CB250rs,s VT500,s GT550-GT750,S all part of the game.Went every where,Seen every thing.Delivered everything,everywhere,legal documents to frozen rabbits.
7 in the morning London winter,pitch black,rain,snow,freezing,gail blowing.Summer swealtering none of that all the gear stuff,watching the girls go by in Soho.Celebrities,Royals,Judges,CEO,s.Models actually the only real shitheads.
A huge gang of us all working in different companies,meeting up in the weirdest places,always drinking tea,coffee sitting waiting for the next job.
The summer lul,the christmas rush,being sent one up to Croydon,being sent the other direction from home last thing at night.
Two top boxes one bungeed to the back seat,handlebar muffs,waterproof worn all day so the sweat cant get out and you end up soaked anyway.
Sitting in some reception in full raingear,freezing outside but roasting inside,dilema to take it off or not.
One of the old gang walked in to my bar in Ecuador today and writing this the only thing I really miss is the boys,we,re all middle aged men now.But those indeed were the days.
Albert theturtleshead
That was long long breath brother...but I enjoyed it.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #71
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
That was long long breath brother...but I enjoyed it.
Ah my friend in 7 years there were so many stories,so many incidents,people,I,if I wasn,t so lazy could write a book,but I don,t have the literary talent of Mr Bones.
The job left me with so many things,I,m never lost,I can deal with anyone from the best to the worst,Tenacity,driving all day in the shittiest conditions,Perseverance,finding that impossible address and most of all the ability to make rapid decisions,the best one being to get out of it and be my own boss in South America after 7 years of having Radio controllers who were dumber than me telling what to do all day whilst giving all the cream work to their suck-up buddies.
I keep a photo of my old CB250RS behind the bar to remind me of the good old days and to remind me why I work so hard at my business,cos if that shit don,t work I,ll be climbing back on board.
Al theturtleshead
if you,d like to know what one of the things I do now check the BEER IN ECUADOR thread in the Latin American regional section.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #72
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Ah my friend in 7 years there were so many stories,so many incidents,people,I,if I wasn,t so lazy could write a book,but I don,t have the literary talent of Mr Bones.
The job left me with so many things,I,m never lost,I can deal with anyone from the best to the worst,Tenacity,driving all day in the shittiest conditions,Perseverance,finding that impossible address and most of all the ability to make rapid decisions,the best one being to get out of it and be my own boss in South America after 7 years of having Radio controllers who were dumber than me telling what to do all day whilst giving all the cream work to their suck-up buddies.
I keep a photo of my old CB250RS behind the bar to remind me of the good old days and to remind me why I work so hard at my business,cos if that shit don,t work I,ll be climbing back on board.
Al theturtleshead
if you,d like to know what one of the things I do now check the BEER IN ECUADOR thread in the Latin American regional section.
Deal!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #73
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Albert theturtleshead
OMG I bet YOU have some stories to tell! It's hard to really capture the craziness, the "live for the moment" attitude, the "deliver or die" way of life in writing, but you should try.

And I really forgot to write enough about the weather. Driving in the rain all day long for three days in a row, driving with Hippo Hands, a Throat Coat and every piece of clothing I owned and seeing the electric sign on the bank say FIVE degrees (F). Learning that when the Bank signs downtown got up to 50 degrees I could take the gloves off. Struggling to keep envelopes dry in snow and driving rain and high winds. Keeping an eye peeled for ice. Trying to maintain enough speed (wearing shorts and a t-shirt) to not die in the sweltering heat of Washington DC in August....

Of course, that same sweltering heat brought out the babes in skimpy outfits. I actually parked once long enough to go hang out at a Polo match on the Mall near the Lincoln Memorial, just for the "scenery". I saw Linda Blair of Exorcist fame downtown once, and tried to talk to her, but some security guy of hers put a stop to it.... I actually dated two receptionists I met.....

I can't imagine SEVEN years. I did TWO and although I wish I'd given it a little longer, seven seems like tempting fate!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #74
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Ah yes!

I guess thats the other talent given to me by the job,everyone said you.re going to open a bar in Ecuador,you,re tempting fate aren,t you!!! 9 years later there are two of them and a microbrewery.
On Wednesday this week I finance my new business in Colombia,it,s a Mining Geophysics company.I know next to nothing about geophysics,when I moved to London I knew nothing about despatch riding,when I moved to Ecuador I,d never been behind a bar(in front of a shit load of course)So my old mates by going to Colombia I,m poking fate in the eye once again.
Fuck it whats the worst that could happen!!!
Al theturtleshead
ps sorry about the highjack
Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #75
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Ahem....new ride threads soon please.

Hey Joey...I'm leavin the US way soon...posted a "see ya" thread over in inmates, if ya like stop by and say 'bye'...I'd love to see at least one "hit" LOL.

I'll be back on in a few weeks (maybe days) internet willing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379684