Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #31
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
True randyo, I should have been more specific but I was going for the general idea. When you were researching ethanol did you look at switchgrass & the like? I wonder how the cellulosic ethanol fairs.

Hell DAKEZ "Their" feeding it to you, I don't think it will kill the cows!

I take it you don't eat any hybrid veggies.

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Hell DAKEZ "Their" feeding it to you, I don't think it will kill the cows!

I take it you don't eat any hybrid veggies.

Murf2
They are not feeding it to me.

As for the veggies, it depends on how you define "hybrid"

The carrot has come a long way since Afghanistan shared it with the WORLD.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #33
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Hybrid and genetically modified are worlds apart.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #34
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Hybrid and genetically modified are worlds apart.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #35
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Have y'all ever checked the difference in gas mileage in your bikes? I have. I've made several attempts to remove all other variables except the fuel and found that my bike runs about 7% to 10% better with real gas. At least it did in the spring and early summer. I have not seen how cold weather affects things.

There is only one station in my area that has real gas and they boast about it. Their sign uses the term "real gas" and the pumps say it as well. The funny thing is, we are in an area that should have all stations with ethanol. It seems that the owner of this store will not allow the tanker drivers to add the ethanol. He has had to change contractors several times but he is insistant that he will not take it.

The station is actually a marina but he has one pump away from the dock. Other marinas in the area all have E10 listed on the pumps so its not like he should have a pass on it. I'm impressed and the results show in terms of fuel economy. Unfortunately, he is 9 miles from my house, in the opposite direction of where I normally drive. It doesn't make sense to go so far out of my way to buy from him very often.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #36
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Somewhere in Montana! Yep 7-10% better fuel economy with our good Canadian gas or....somewhere in Montana.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #37
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
There is only one station in my area that has real gas and they boast about it. Their sign uses the term "real gas" and the pumps say it as well. The funny thing is, we are in an area that should have all stations with ethanol. It seems that the owner of this store will not allow the tanker drivers to add the ethanol. He has had to change contractors several times but he is insistant that he will not take it.

The station is actually a marina but he has one pump away from the dock. Other marinas in the area all have E10 listed on the pumps so its not like he should have a pass on it. I'm impressed and the results show in terms of fuel economy. Unfortunately, he is 9 miles from my house, in the opposite direction of where I normally drive. It doesn't make sense to go so far out of my way to buy from him very often.
I think you'll find that the E10 mandate is for on-road vehicles...

But I could be wrong...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #38
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Have y'all ever checked the difference in gas mileage in your bikes? I have. I've made several attempts to remove all other variables except the fuel and found that my bike runs about 7% to 10% better with real gas. At least it did in the spring and early summer. I have not seen how cold weather affects things.

If you drive up to Stafford, the Sunoco off 610 is not labeled as having ethanol. I have not gone in to talk to the owner yet to double check it though.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #39
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
If you drive up to Stafford, the Sunoco off 610 is not labeled as having ethanol. I have not gone in to talk to the owner yet to double check it though.
That's good to know. I'll stop by myself since I work up in Stafford a couple days a week. I suspect they have E10 but just "forgot" to put the lables on the pumps. That's the story I got from the Sonoco at Massaponax a few months ago. Because of the clean air requirements in this metro area, I don't think they can escape it. I'm still not sure how Anna Point Marina has gotten away with it.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #40
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
problem with E10 in snall engines, lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers rottotillers etc is that with MOST homeowners, the equipment sets being unused for weeks or months between uses , ethanol evaps and gumms up the carbs
So, let me make sure that I understand this process:

-"Pure" gasoline (as in, no ethanol) won't gum(m?) up carbs.
-The ethanol in E10 evaporates from the bowl, leaving through the vent lines as a gas
-All that remains in the bowl, presumably, is "pure" gasoline
-Carb is now gummed up.

So, pure gasoline is the solution, but when yours ethanol evaporates (resulting in pure gasoline in the carb), gumming results?

I'm confused.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #41
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
The problems I see most with ethanol is it's an excellent solvent. Bad thing on old dirty gas tanks. Lets lots of dirt,sediment and goo loose into the system. Which then does nasty things to jets,injectors ect.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #42
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Isn't gasoline also a really good solvent? I know it works great for cleaning air filters...
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
I have done track days before in my car, and I make sure that I have almost no gas when I get to the track (they sell gas with no ethanol), and I fill up before I leave. Does no good the rest of the time, but at least for those few days I have ethanol free gas in the tank!

There used to be a gas station about a mile from me that was ethanol free, and they advertised it as well. However, about a year ago they pulled all their signs, and now have the big stickers on the pumps saying "may contain 10% ethanol." No other place near me has ethanol free pumps. This all started about 2 years ago around my neck of the woods. Before then most stations were ethanol free.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #44
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
Isn't gasoline also a really good solvent? I know it works great for cleaning air filters...
It'll work on certain substances, but not water based ones. There are much better and safer solvents out there though.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #45
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
So, let me make sure that I understand this process:

-"Pure" gasoline (as in, no ethanol) won't gum(m?) up carbs.
-The ethanol in E10 evaporates from the bowl, leaving through the vent lines as a gas
-All that remains in the bowl, presumably, is "pure" gasoline
-Carb is now gummed up.

So, pure gasoline is the solution, but when yours ethanol evaporates (resulting in pure gasoline in the carb), gumming results?

I'm confused.
pure gasoline will gum up a carb, just takes longer a few months instead of a few weeks
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote