ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,630
Cascade Discovery Route

Since sometime in 2011, I have been working on an Adventure Route that leaves from the Hood River area and heads South to meet up at Big Lake, near Sisters, OR, where OBCDR Routes #3 & #4 take up. I was planning to do something with it like the BDR Group has with their BDR websites, but the reality is that I have no time, nor the patience to do such things. So, I wish to make this Cascade Discovery Route a NW-ADV thing. I wanna see this Route used and ridden. I worked hard finding these gems of bad roads, and I wanna share it all for free. I have most all tracks, so now I guess I need some help.

Should I use a GPS site of some kind to host these GPX Files for easy download? I need it to be free of charge, and with no need to "join" anything to get the tracks. I considered "Dual Sport Maps" for a while, but it has been in and out of money and time since he started that most excellent and ambitious project. I do have the domain: "CascadeDiscoveryRoute.com", it's a cheap basic site with GoDaddy that uses WordPress, but I don't know how, or really don't wanna learn, nor take the time to do all that is needed to make that a viable site for this gig.

The Cascade Discovery Route, as it stands so far, is the long and hard way from Hood River to Sisters, it takes up almost 300 miles on the way there, trying to find the best (bad!) dirt-only roads and several old historic wagon roads along the way. These are the dirt-only roads that came BEFORE the FS Development gravel roads, and have NEVER been improved. It is not a quick juant, nor an easy one. It has taken a couple of rather experienced riders a full three day & nights to get there, and three more to get back. This is the drawing made by one of 2013's Route riders, trying to explain this route in map form, overwriting the CDR on an OBCDR map. Note the light blue squiggly line in the top left corner:
(this is not the actual CDR route, just drawn-in squiggly lines)

It is a Big Bike friendly route,.....if you wanna work hard, and have some serious challenges along the way, and don't mind broken blinkers and scratches. That said, some Big Bike riders will absolutely HATE it, and likely curse me for calling such nastiness "fun". It is Small Bike friendly, too, in that it has less than 40 miles of pavement in that 300 miles, and these are mostly just for the required gas stops.

Some pics of said dirt-only old roads:

It also must put up with plenty of plain ol' gravel roads, just to get to the next bad road, and avoid any pavement along the way (the MAIN goal).

I need this Route to evolve. While I found a great set of bad and beautiful roads over the last four years, there is always something better out there, and I want this Route to include it, if it can be reached by dirt. I also wish to take this Route into Washington, from Hood River to RimRock lake, to provide a more challenging alternative to the Southern sections of the WABDR, and to hopefully lose that big section of pavement from Randall to the start of Bethell Ridge just East of RimRock Lake. I have good dirt-only stuff from HR to Trout Lake, but need some more time with the North end, which must stay West of Mt Adams to avoid the Reservation.

Mostly I need a geek or two that wanna be a part of this, and help me with the computer parts I don't like. It won't make any money, but I believe it will provide a popular Route for the Big City folk that don't have the week+ vacation that the OBCDR requires, and for those looking for more challenges than much of what WABDR and the IDBDR offers.
So post up some ideas....what's the next step?

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 13,372
Appears you finally got a proper bike:

P.S.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,843
Good on you for sharing AJ! I'd give you a suggestion of how to share those, but I've never used a GPS. All those Bend to wherever in Oregon routes I've found over the years are stuck in my head.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,843
It stays just south of the Warm Springs reservation doesn't it? That's always been a tough spot to navigate around. Lot's of dead ends out there.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,884
Thanks for sharing your hard work with the rest of us I know it was a labor of love and a lot of research.

Can't wait to ride this route on the new bike when it gets here
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,039
Shoot, Walla Walla to Lakeview is only 2.5 days if you twist that thing on the right.

Next step? Start sharing your tracks and we'll start riding it.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
It stays just south of the Warm Springs reservation doesn't it? That's always been a tough spot to navigate around. Lot's of dead ends out there.
The fun parts of the Route stick to just barely West of the Warm Springs Res, and on South down to where it hits the Jefferson Wilderness near the Olallie Lakes area.

The only long gravel road sections are just West of Hwy 22, South of Detroit to the Santiam Pass. I tried for many days, but only basic gravel West of Hwy 22 (lots of closed gates through there) and nothing goes through to the East of Hwy 22.

This was all just in my head for the first three years, and I also prefer to just ride it by memory. The GPS tracks I have now are from other riders with me on the Route.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Appears you finally got a proper bike:

P.S.
That's Pigpen's XRR.

I still ride the BOP.
Big Orange Pig.
Bigger and more fun than any BRP.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Shoot, Walla Walla to Lakeview is only 2.5 days if you twist that thing on the right.

Next step? Start sharing your tracks and we'll start riding it.
I wanna put the tracks I currently have here on this thread, how do I link them?

They do need some clean-up, I have yet to master and don't enjoy using Basecamp.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Thanks for sharing your hard work with the rest of us I know it was a labor of love and a lot of research.

Can't wait to ride this route on the new bike when it gets here
You got most of Day 1 of this Route (minus some newer additions ) on the way to the Bend KTM Rally.

Congrats on selling the bike, hope your new 690 is all you think it is.
I do expect it will be the best bike for everything but those rare 200+ miles slab runs.
But, how big of a cooler can it really carry?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 13,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
That's Pigpen's XRR.
I know.

It was a joke.

DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Grahamcracker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I'm pumped for this AJ! Exactly what i've been looking for, I want to go do it now!!!!

I make all my routes with ridewithgps. You have to sign up to make routes and save routes online. You can export them in all the popular formats. You can also route off of roads if needed. I'd be happy to help if I can!
Grahamcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,597
AJ - If it were me, I'd add files for both "Tracks and Routes" to your existing Cascade Discovery Route site under the links section. It looks like there is a file download manager available for WordPress, else sign up for a DropBox and put the link on that page (and here if you want).

You might also setup a PayPal account on there and use it for "Donations". Put a story on there that dontations are used to cover the initial creationa and provided you get some, ongoing communication of the route (re-routes, updates that kind of thing). Sort of the old "Shareware" model - if you use it, pay for it.

The above should only be a couple of hours worth of work to setup. All the other fancier stuff you may have wanted to do on that could happen later if you get some donations.

Want to spend even less time? Update the above site and tell people to e-mail you (along with a small donation of their choosing) and you will e-mail them back with an attachment of the Routes and Tracks file to cover your time.

FWIW - I loved MapSource and Hated Base Camp, but the more I work with it, the more I've gotten use to it for creating routes/managing tracks. Happy to test troubleshoot what you come up with.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
81forest
ADDRider

Oddometer: 1,189
This is awesome. Can't thank you enough for wanting to share this priceless info with us. I will be watching this thread closely, wish I could help with the GPS knowledge but I am a noob as well. Thank you!!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

I really want an interactive map on this thread somewhere where we can all include lots of pictures of the campspots, bad roads, and views along the way. With a group contribution, we can photo-document the Route pretty well. It should also include the gas stops, grocery and liquor stores en-route. Links and clickys, that kinda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
I thought about going South of the Res and into the Metolius area, but there are no dirt connectors from the West side of the Jefferson Wilderness. I wanna avoid any kind of a run on the big highways.