Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #481
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
but did any other countries get the white Le Mans (1) models that were sold in Australia?

This LM 850 was purchased in Italy by the PO, looks white to me. I'm the second owner, it had the original Italian rego label bolted to it when I bought it in 1986

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #482
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,573
Hi Mike
Yep - a magnificent example, and a credit to you! Just the footrests, pipes and head-protectors are changed - even have both stands!
ZA-sold bikes had a diamond two-piece front crashbar as styandard - yet you rarely see them anywhere else...
So, white was available in Italy too; interesting that the factory brochures only should the red and ice-blue options.
Sad person that I am, I have the two Mk1 brochures framed together to show the differences between Series A & B... Don't think there was a brochure for Series C - it became the Mk2.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #483
Nolan Woodbury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Pipes with boloney ends? You're thinking of Stucchi Luigi's system aren't you? Had a set on a couple of my bikes, but they rotted away quick-smart; sounded good though!
Often called the 'Bruno Scola' system, this design was used for some time on Tonti's factory V7S racers. I've heard it was a top performing system, but never made it to production for obvious reasons. I've seen home-brewed copies too:

A better look captured in a worse photograph:

Nolan Woodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #484
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
On the other hand, it's not really a bike you ride long journeys on anymore.
right on.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #485
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
Harden up Flug
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #486
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,628
Short distance = one latte' shop to another,
long distance = latte' shop in one state to a latte' coffee shop in another state
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #487
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,223
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #488
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,136
A friend of mine called me the other night from MT. He was hanging out with his neighbor the other day and the subject of Motorcycles came up. The neighbor said "I have something you've probably never seen"....He took him out back and in a shed sat an old Moto Guzzi sidecar rig. My buddy described it as a wheel chair accessable sidecar.
Apparently he had a wheel chair bound friend who passed away and left him the bike. How long it has set?and what it is? I have no idea. My friend is not very motorcycle savvy.
We'll be in the neighborhood later this week so I hope to run over there and take a peek at it. I don't have too high of hopes as the MT. weather extremes wouldn't be to nice to the old chrome bore Guzzis......Hopefully we'll have a few photos by the weekend.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #489
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
A friend of mine called me the other night from MT. He was hanging out with his neighbor the other day and the subject of Motorcycles came up. The neighbor said "I have something you've probably never seen"....He took him out back and in a shed sat an old Moto Guzzi sidecar rig. My buddy described it as a wheel chair accessable sidecar.
Apparently he had a wheel chair bound friend who passed away and left him the bike. How long it has set?and what it is? I have no idea. My friend is not very motorcycle savvy.
We'll be in the neighborhood later this week so I hope to run over there and take a peek at it. I don't have too high of hopes as the MT. weather extremes wouldn't be to nice to the old chrome bore Guzzis......Hopefully we'll have a few photos by the weekend.
Oh well, there are plenty of uses for old Guzzi engines.......

Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #490
Nolan Woodbury
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
right on.

Probably the best handling motorcycle I ever tested. The 1098R was pretty good too, but the G-B Supertwin made me feel like rock star. Guzzi nirvana-
Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #491
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Woodbury View Post
Often called the 'Bruno Scola' system, this design was used for some time on Tonti's factory V7S racers. I've heard it was a top performing system, but never made it to production for obvious reasons. I've seen home-brewed copies too:

A better look captured in a worse photograph:

That is very, very similar to the system we imported from Stucchi in the late '70s & early '80s. The quality - especially of the paint - was rubbish and they usually needed some "adjustment" with a bloody big mallet to make them fit ... one set actually had the cylinder offset on the "wrong" side - damed if I know how they managed that!
But they tucked in well and had easily-removed DB-killers - an end cap held in place with a single bolt. Sadly these were known to vibrate free and the entire end-cap, when it came out, usually disappeared over the horizon. The rider always knew this had happened - without the caps, they were very loud!
They also didn't last long and quickly rusted to bits, so they got a reputation for being a waste of money; about the time the Mk3 was launched (which didn't fit the pipes) demand dried up so we dropped them. Probably sold 40 - 50 sets over a couple of years.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #492
Nolan Woodbury
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That is very, very similar to the system we imported from Stucchi in the late '70s & early '80s. The quality - especially of the paint - was rubbish...
This might be that system then, with wrapped headers. I was hedging it was homemade.

The bike is a Convert automatic owned by Sue Stacy Hampton, who (I believe) found it on eBay. I have a 10K original 'Vert in pieces and could do something similar. Loving this!

Most everyone has seen this; the optional 'race kit' exhaust for the 850 Lemon. A pal of mine found this on eBay (paid dearly) and scabbed it on his 850III. The report after claimed "too loud" for the street.

Good info Precis! Thanks-
Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #493
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Nolan - Id suggest that the 'Vert's wrapped headers are stock - there is no front balance pipe - and that the Stucchi tailpipes have been grafted on.
I always thought that the Convert was poorly cast as a Tourer and that it's unique transmission would have worked better in a city-bike.
In the 70s & early 80s, my riding buddy had one, a foil to my Le Mans and we rode many, many miles together - as we had on our XS750E's before.
He found that it went fastest if he sat bolt upright behind the screen, with both hands on the bars and both feet on the boards; if he hunkered, moved his hands or feet - the speedo would drop. He was politely called "burly", wore an open-face & smoked a pipe.
Now he's lost weight, given up smoking and rides a Yamaha cruiser - and lives on the other side of the world.
Where we were riding at the time, there were long flat straight roads in superb condition, with absolutely no traffic and we were under official instruction to "go as fast as you can". Perfect for max-velocity tests! FWIW, on a good day with cool air, I got the LM's speedo to 6 o'clock for about 15 minutes.
If only we really understood how lucky we were!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #494
tugboat
MicroTourer (tm)

Oddometer: 101
'77 Convert

tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #495
tugboat
MicroTourer (tm)

Oddometer: 101
82 California II

tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote