Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I just picked up a Yamaha C3 for town scootin' and winter duty to save my Honda 919 from another winter of salt and sand and pain. It's so, so fun! I had no idea scootin' was so fun!

dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Yes a very rare scooter...

Its likely not because its a bad scooter but just reflects how horrid the scooter market is here in the states. A lot of good stuff just gets over looked and then comes and goes in the blink of an eye.

I was walking in downtown Kirkland WA last Saturday evening and 3 C3's went zooming buy me. Must have been half of all of them ever imported right there!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #33
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Yes a very rare scooter...

Its likely not because its a bad scooter but just reflects how horrid the scooter market is here in the states. A lot of good stuff just gets over looked and then comes and goes in the blink of an eye.

I was walking in downtown Kirkland WA last Saturday evening and 3 C3's went zooming buy me. Must have been half of all of them ever imported right there!

The Moss Bay Bombers!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,408
Even here in Vancovuer BC scooter get overlook and if you can put up with the cold you can ride 300 days a year. 2 dealers have 2009 c3 for 2250 out the door with taxes yet they still sit there. One has got 7 2009 Vino 50cc still there. Guess people would rather spend 6 grand more on a car then hack the cold of fall and winter.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Even here in Vancovuer BC scooter get overlook and if you can put up with the cold you can ride 300 days a year. 2 dealers have 2009 c3 for 2250 out the door with taxes yet they still sit there. One has got 7 2009 Vino 50cc still there. Guess people would rather spend 6 grand more on a car then hack the cold of fall and winter.
Vancouver winters are nothing. I ride 365 in BC on a motorcycle and bought my to make it even easier and more fun. I'm looking forward to some slushy Vancouver scootin'

dustin2 screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 07:53 PM
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I wish they made a bigger version of the C3. I like the utilitarian looks of it, and the oversize tires :)

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #37
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
So, I take it Yamaha has dropped the C3 for the US market??

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
I liked the look, but having already been through 2 50cc scooters (2 stroke Zuma and Honda Met) 50cc was just not enough. I got the Vino 125.

Also, something most people don't know about the C3 and the Vino 50 is they both have a load limit of under 200 pounds. Yes people put a lot more than that on them, but that's what it says in the owners manual. Both the Zuma and Met were around 260 pounds, just barely enough for me with a few pounds left over. The Vino 125 is well over 300 pounds, so is the Zuma 125. When you are on the heavy side, you need to check the load limit of some of these smaller scooters, and for some reason it is not available online, only in the owners manual.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #39
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
i like the looks, if i had a 150 cc edition, then i would buy. I have a 100 cc scooter and it is just enough 90% of the times, so a 50 it is just not for me

Damasovi
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #40
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
IMHO 50cc scooters are just not safe. For the rider or other traffic. They are just too slow.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
IMHO 50cc scooters are just not safe. For the rider or other traffic. They are just too slow.
They are intended as inner-city transportation. They are perfectly safe if the rider keeps to the intended venue.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
They are intended as inner-city transportation. They are perfectly safe if the rider keeps to the intended venue.
They are deathtraps in most cities. Their super slow acceleration on 45 mph city streets will get you killed quick. I tried to ride 2 of them in the city. I wore an orange road construction vest and a white helmet. I converted the turn signals to 4 way flashers and left them on most of the time. If you are sitting at a red light, when that light turns green, the car (or around here, lifted truck) is going to take off in a normal manner (meaning fast) and there you are, a sitting duck, right in front of them. I had a couples do that, and couldn't brake in time, so they swerved up onto the sidewalk to avoid hitting me, blowing their horn and calling me every name in the book. A 50cc scooter is a suicide machine on city streets and if you keep riding one there, you are going to get seriously injured or killed.

I did find a fairly safe use for those 50cc scooters. My state has thousands of miles of 2 lane paved roads with shoulders, with speed limits up to 65 mph. I racked up several thousand miles riding on the shoulders of these roads, where bicyclists ride. I did get hit once, while riding a 50cc pedal moped, by some idiot in a Suburban who tried to pass on the shoulder. The same thing would have happened had I been on a bicycle. Most cities now have a lot of bicycle lanes, but scooters are not allowed to use them. Riding a 50cc scooter in city traffic is like being on foot in front of a cattle stampede.

If you live in a very small rural town, they may be fine. But not in a city, other than maybe on 25 mph residential streets, which isn't going to do you any good.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
There was a guy from Michigan who tried to ride around the country on one of these. He made it to Caliofornia before ending his ride report. I'm not sure what happened to end his ride but I believe he crashed and decided to give it up. It was an interesting ride report up to there. The link is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694448

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
They are deathtraps in most cities. Their super slow acceleration on 45 mph city streets will get you killed quick.
I'm curious about your comments. The C3 is my first ever scooter and first vehicle too slow for a highway. I can see its limitations here and there in the small(er) town I live but I've generally found it to be just fine for 80 percent of what I do locally. So far.

I'll report back :)

dustin2 screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 10:56 PM
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
for me the limitation of this fine scooter is also its 50cc displacement. idk what "around town" means for a lot of folks but for me it means the streets of Los Angeles. and its hills and crazy drivers. could i do a 50cc? sure, but it would be disconcerting at times and i could not lane split safely. and beating cars off the line and getting out front and staying there would be impossible many times

i am a proactive rider. 50cc where i ride does not safely promote that. now if i just want to pick a 35mph "bubble" and ride in it at the mercy of 4000lb vehicles, that would be my choice and very well could be a safe one. but it doesn't feel so safe to me when i ride like that

so no. something that can readily get to near 50mph in most conditions on flat road is desirable. with plenty of roll on left at 40-45mph for passing and keeping pace. i just can't see doing it any other way

sorry little C3 :(