Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #46
matthangen
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
The benefit of using plastic bottles is that you can ditch them and/or replace them every day. I wouldn't carry more than 3L (2 of the 1.5 water bottles common in Africa) in throw away bottles, if I needed more i'd go for something more permanent. This question, I believe, was about Morrocco and doing some touring. As big as the continent is, here in West Africa we can usually find fuel every 50 miles or so pretty easily, with 100 miles being moderately common, and 200 miles very rare. Keep in mind there are 100cc motos everywhere who only have 1.5 gallon tanks. On my West African touring, in Benin, Togo, Ghana, Burkina Faso, and Mali it was sometimes better to have a worn out t-shirt to filter fuel with than it was to carry spares. I can almost always get fuel on the side of the roads in 1L glass bottles (set up in little stands) but often preferred passing it through a shirt and praying it wasn't too cut with water or kerosene. On my bike, a XR650, I had a 4.7 gallon tank that easily got me 200 miles before reserve and carried 1.5-3L of fuel on top of my pack under a bungee top facing up at an angle. I kept it there so that if I fell I wouldn't crush it. I never had one leak. I never needed it but it kept me from worrying and kept me from carrying big jerry cans (1 gal of fuel plus weight on those square tanks and racks has to be 12-15bs) and when it's clear major cities are close enough not to need them I chuck them and have new ones next time I buy some water. You can insult folks, call them dumb, etc. but I wager most doing stuff like this are the ones who've actually ridden their bikes off the beaten path and spend their money on plane tickets and tires instead of utopian farkles you rarely need. This is coming from a guy who's logged 10k miles in Africa and a cross country and back US trip without all the extras. So buy em' if you want them but lay off the insults to those of us who prefer a little more ADV in our rides.
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
That's great but where do you put your license plate?
I dont need no stinkin license plate.

The rear of my bike isnt exactly stock. i dont have the factory plate mount so the plate usually just hangs off the highest part of the happy trails rack. Its gotten so mangled from getting eaten by the rear wheel, when bottoming out while im "off the beaten path". Not sure why it isnt on my bike in this pic. Probably took it off to rob a bank that day.
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #48
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
So buy em' if you want them but lay off the insults to those of us who prefer a little more ADV in our rides.
Quoted for truth.

I usually use 2L coke bottles in my Sweet Cheeks seat pad (one bottle with gas, one with water; water on the exhaust side). If I need more water than gas, I use both bottles for water and then fill coffee bladders with gas, strap 'em to the back, and drain them into the gas tank as early as possible.

The coffee bladders are great because they take up almost zero space and are reusable. They aren't affected by gas. They're free if you work in a medium size office building. Some people will think you're an idiot for using them, but those same people will think you're an idiot for using soda bottles.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #49
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
I dont need no stinkin license plate.

The rear of my bike isnt exactly stock. i dont have the factory plate mount so the plate usually just hangs off the highest part of the happy trails rack. Its gotten so mangled from getting eaten by the rear wheel, when bottoming out while im "off the beaten path". Not sure why it isnt on my bike in this pic. Probably took it off to rob a bank that day.
I know what you mean. My plate is zip tied to my rear fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
So buy em' if you want them but lay off the insults to those of us who prefer a little more ADV in our rides.
Indeed!
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #50
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I seem to recall some people getting a length of plastic hose, the clear, heavy duty kind. (The ones we used to make beer funnels with)

Anyway, it was prob between 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and 5 feet long. They capped off one end, coiled it, filled it with gas, and strapped it to their bike. A couple of extra litres at least. Seems like a good plan.
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #51
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
I seem to recall some people getting a length of plastic hose, the clear, heavy duty kind. (The ones we used to make beer funnels with)

Anyway, it was prob between 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and 5 feet long. They capped off one end, coiled it, filled it with gas, and strapped it to their bike. A couple of extra litres at least. Seems like a good plan.

^This reminded me of the scene from Easy Rider where they hide money in their gas tanks!
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #52
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:

between 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and 5 feet long. They capped off one end, coiled it, filled it with gas, and strapped it to their bike. A couple of extra litres at least.
Interesting..That's thinking outside the box!
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #53
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105

I carried 9-10 liters in these 2 jugs shown in position on shelves I made on the backs of the panniers.The nylon strap goes through the handle and brakets oin the shelves and panniers. They don't put squeeze preasure on the jugs.
I've used these on several hundred miles of gravel roads and thousands of miles of pave with no leakage or ill effects.The jugs I used were free after I'd used the S-100 bike cleaner that came in them.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
drswift
DRSWIFT

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

I carried 9-10 liters in these 2 jugs shown in position on shelves I made on the backs of the panniers.The nylon strap goes through the handle and brakets oin the shelves and panniers. They don't put squeeze preasure on the jugs.
Holy gas bomb, Batman!

'07 R1200RT
drswift is offline   Reply With Quote