ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #781
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,576
Electrical supply?

Anyone know of an electrical supply place around here? North/East burbs.(Macomb, Lapeer counties?)
Radio Shack has some stuff but it's not very high quality. What I'm looking for is shrink tubing with sealer/glue/waterproof in it and connectors suitable for use on motorcycles and cars. I can order this stuff on-line but I like to try to keep it local.

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."

matkal screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 03:10 PM
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #782
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Oddometer: 266
Well just put my foot in my mouth, a little fairy just told me the kuga is coming to the states. +1 for ford.
'04 CR50F
GLDS
jpwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #783
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 567
Anyone want to dump a lightly used 18" DS or knob tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Is that Kenda tire studded ?

I was looking at Trelleborg's, but i'm having a hard time justifying $350 per tire for a few rides on the lake.

Sorry, studs sold separately... some assembly required. I think they had 3 of the 18"ers on the shelf. Package deal anyone?

Otherwise, anyone out there got a lightly used 18" rear tire that they'd like to sell?

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #784
DetR6oit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwilhelm
To tell you the truth I can't find a American car that really does it for me, So I buy a car I want. That's what America is all about.
There are some nice Pickups out there but I don't need a pickup.

Did you know GM just opened a .5 billion dollar plant in China last Thursday, and said it has no plans of laying off workers in China? Kind of funny asking the American tax payers to float the bills while they employ Chinese. How is that helping out your friends?
Makes complete sense considering this.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...601050436/1148

they are doing well there so of course they aren't laying off workers. They are opening up factories there just like foreign brands are doing here.

Quote:
Why would you care who's pockets the money falls into in the end, it is not ours, just some rich fat cat sitting on the same beach as a Japanese fat fat.
If you buy an import car you are keeping a American employed just the same as if you buy the big three.
Just look at what GM is banking on now, the Volt, what a joke
I was hoping GM would be forced to restructure, and then they could have get people that know what they are doing run the show, and just maybe they would start making cars people outside of Detroit want again. Not to mention all bail outs are unconstitutional. America is broke and is only printing money at the expense of the dollar. Pretty soon everyone will be hurting not just Detroit.
Companies being profitable means bosses getting richer yeah, but the companies also doing better means the workers get the trickle down effect and a profit sharing bonus check possibly too. That money goes on to be spent in our communities. The Detroit automakers make plenty of good products, that are just as high, or higher in quality and reliability over what many of the foreign biased people think are better. VW for example being at the bottom quarter of the JD power dependability list year after year. Lincoln even placed higher than Honda and Toyota last year.

Quote:
Also was it fair to Ford, for them to try to restructure last year when they had to lay off workers and sell Land Rover and Austin Martin, so they could have some money?
Why does GM not give up Saab, Buick or Pontiac?
Hell Chrysler's owners Cerberus have billions but says it will no longer put money into it. If the Owners don't want to pay for it and the banks don't want to give loans, why the hell should the tax payers?
Buick the top selling foreign brand in China and they should get rid of it? Cerebus should keep dropping money into chrysler and potentially put that companies other ventures into bankrupcy also, all for what was primarily caused by this countries financial and credit issues and not completely by the companies own doings? The banks won't give them loans because they are screwed by the credit situation and won't even give many potential customers loans for cars because of the credit collapse. There are a lot more factors than you realize I think

Quote:
Yeah it would be bad if people were out of work, but if someone else took over their would be work again. Hell I have been out of full time work for about 2 years now thanks to the stupid decisions the big three make with their cars. Just maybe if they would have to restructure and stop making lame decisions for cars, Detroit could be booming again. But now thanks to the enabling of the government Detroit will still follow the same path and will arrive at this same spot 6 months from now.

I am not anti big three, I just don't care for most of their cars. I would love to see them succeed and make cool cars again.

Ford has cool cars in Europe I would buy (Mondeo,Kuga,KA), so why not here. They are bringing over the Fiesta but they are dropping the ball on not bringing the 65mpg diesel version. VW, BMW, and Mercedes are all bringing over high mpg diesels in 09. Once again they will be playing catch up. Like Why the hell would Ford not bring the AWD standard Kuga to the states to compete with the CRV, I would buy that over a CRV? Because management are idiots, that is why. Insted we get the Flex . This is why they will fail again.
answer is simple on a lot of that, because of our countries laws for vehicles, and consumer demand. Many of the diesel engines they sell there can't be used here without major redesigns, and the market here sucks for them. Most people don't want them, and when diesel is over a dollar a gallon more, the average person looks at that and says no way. Plus if there were that many extra diesel vehicles the price for diesel could go higher because of the extra demand. I am a diesel owner myself too so I have nothing against them.

DetR6oit screwed with this post 12-21-2008 at 08:01 AM
DetR6oit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #785
d-dub
a.k.a. Daryl

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal
Anyone know of an electrical supply place around here? North/East burbs.(Macomb, Lapeer counties?)
Radio Shack has some stuff but it's not very high quality. What I'm looking for is shrink tubing with sealer/glue/waterproof in it and connectors suitable for use on motorcycles and cars. I can order this stuff on-line but I like to try to keep it local.
ABEL Electronics is on Harper South of 11 mile. 27201 HArper Ave, St. Clair Shores (586.777.8232). That is usually where I get my switches, connectors, led's, shrink tubing... It's a nice "mom-and-pop" electronics store. I don't think they stock heat shrink tube with a sealer in it. I usually just use a glue gun to cover the wire. Then, shrink the tube over the glue.

You could also check a marine supply store. They usually have a good selection of water proof fitting and switches.

d-dub screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 08:21 PM
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #786
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,576
Thanks Daryl!

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #787
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Funny thing is, if you stop buying Nissan that would put thousands out of work in TN.

Now back to bikes, has anyone heard anymore about the tariffs the goverment wants to put on euro bikes?
I'm just busting your balls JP but seriously, don't you want to help your Dearborn peeps before some dudes from Nissan.

Your brother in law can get you an A plan car right?

Alright I'll stop pileing on JP but it is really going to be hard not to.

Since you live in Ford's birthplace and all. In the heart of Detroit. The Motorcity. The arsenal of democracy.

No biggy.

Remember Pearl Harbor.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 12-21-2008 at 08:09 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #788
d-dub
a.k.a. Daryl

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
To tell you the truth I can't find a American car that really does it for me, So I buy a car I want. That's what America is all about.
There are some nice Pickups out there but I don't need a pickup.

Did you know GM just opened a .5 billion dollar plant in China last Thursday, and said it has no plans of laying off workers in China? Kind of funny asking the American tax payers to float the bills while they employ Chinese. How is that helping out your friends?

Why would you care who's pockets the money falls into in the end, it is not ours, just some rich fat cat sitting on the same beach as a Japanese fat fat.
If you buy an import car you are keeping a American employed just the same as if you buy the big three.
Just look at what GM is banking on now, the Volt, what a joke
I was hoping GM would be forced to restructure, and then they could have get people that know what they are doing run the show, and just maybe they would start making cars people outside of Detroit want again. Not to mention all bail outs are unconstitutional. America is broke and is only printing money at the expense of the dollar. Pretty soon everyone will be hurting not just Detroit.

Also was it fair to Ford, for them to try to restructure last year when they had to lay off workers and sell Land Rover and Austin Martin, so they could have some money?
Why does GM not give up Saab, Buick or Pontiac?
Hell Chrysler's owners Cerberus have billions but says it will no longer put money into it. If the Owners don't want to pay for it and the banks don't want to give loans, why the hell should the tax payers?

Yeah it would be bad if people were out of work, but if someone else took over their would be work again. Hell I have been out of full time work for about 2 years now thanks to the stupid decisions the big three make with their cars. Just maybe if they would have to restructure and stop making lame decisions for cars, Detroit could be booming again. But now thanks to the enabling of the government Detroit will still follow the same path and will arrive at this same spot 6 months from now.

I am not anti big three, I just don't care for most of their cars. I would love to see them succeed and make cool cars again.

Ford has cool cars in Europe I would buy (Mondeo,Kuga,KA), so why not here. They are bringing over the Fiesta but they are dropping the ball on not bringing the 65mpg diesel version. VW, BMW, and Mercedes are all bringing over high mpg diesels in 09. Once again they will be playing catch up. Like Why the hell would Ford not bring the AWD standard Kuga to the states to compete with the CRV, I would buy that over a CRV? Because management are idiots, that is why. Insted we get the Flex . This is why they will fail again.

Dude, I agree with DetR6oit...

Domestic auto makers employ 10x the Americans the import OEM's do. Import OEM's will fill the void of vehicle sales. But, but they will not even come close with american jobs, or wages. They are almost matching UAW wages because the have too. IMO, the wages they currently pay will go down without the threat of UAW organising their workforce and an increase in unemployement...

Not to mention: If the Big three were to go under. I think the majority of our manufacturing base will also. In a time of need, Where will our Military go for the manufacturing of vehicles and weapons? Do you think Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc... will be willing to open their factories...

What kind of vehicle are you looking for? Or, interested in? I can't believe you can't find a domestic vehicle to "tickle your fancy".
Old 12-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #789
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie
Sorry, studs sold separately... some assembly required. I think they had 3 of the 18"ers on the shelf. Package deal anyone?

Otherwise, anyone out there got a lightly used 18" rear tire that they'd like to sell?
Check your PM.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
andywaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #790
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Well just put my foot in my mouth, a little fairy just told me the kuga is coming to the states. +1 for ford.
So's the Ka. Look for it in 2010. Ford is actively pursuing the transfer of Eurotech back to the US.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #791
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
I'm just busting your balls JP but seriously, don't you want to help your Dearborn peeps before some dudes from Nissan.

Your brother in law can get you an A plan car righr?

Alright I'll stop pileing on JP but it is really going to be hard not to.

Since you live in Ford's birthplace and all. In the hard of Detroit. The Motorcity. The arsenal of democracy.

No biggy.

Remember Pearl Harbor.

That's right !

You should sell all those damn imports in your garage and replace them with Harley's.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #792
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
That's right !

You should sell all those damn imports in your garage and replace them with Harley's.
Big difference is that there ARE no American equivalents of dirtbikes, or of most street bikes. Unless you want a big-inch cruiser (e.g. Harley), the only product available is an import. (Obviously you know that, but the point is that it's not a valid comparison).
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
andywaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #793
DetR6oit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
That's right !

we can only pray the economy doesn't get bad enough that I feel obligated to buy a buell next time I get a bike
DetR6oit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #794
awschmidt
ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal

carquest auto stores stock dual wall heat shrink in 8" sticks (at least in the ann arbor area they do). you can also check at chrysler dealers as it is a std part number required for repairs and recalls (2008 js tpm recalls use a package of tubes and should be cheap).
edit: mopar part number for the recall pkg of 12 3" dual wall heat shrink is cbrah070.

Kevin

awschmidt screwed with this post 12-21-2008 at 09:04 AM
awschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #795
awschmidt
ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer: 90
Motorcycles are cool. The auto business has always been mismanaged and provided the stability of tnt in a paint shaker. Let's talk about something cool......

SNOWMOBIKING!!!!

awschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote