ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #826
bentmettle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I "rode" mine from the shed to the road on Saturday. About 100 feet. 20 minutes. Put it back. See ya's in the spring I say.

I have an AWD Turbocharged car with Finnish winter tires mounted up. The moto can take a break
bentmettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #827
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie
Land Rover - see ducati above
Whaaaat ? Did you bump your head ?

Everybody knows Land Rovers don't break down - ever !

I'm quite sure they're always on the top of the list when it comes to quality and low cost of ownership.

And what's wrong wit you man ? Enough with the lame cars already (excluding the Spirit RT). You might as well buy a Maytag and drive that to work everyday . .

Oh, and quit talking about cages already. Phew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
I went over to Btome's house today and it was 5 degrees out.

He wanted to ride his CRF 230 on the lake. (He is always trying to get you to drink the macho coolaid!), so I did and we proceeded to try to start this poor bike that had been sitting out in the garage cooler. Of course it wasn't in his garage, it was in his in-laws who live ten houses down. So we get our favorate tundra wear on and head out on to the lake and walk down ten houses to the bike. Did I mention it was 4 degrees out? And it was windy. Like 25 mph windy. So I agree, the coolaid has been downed. We start walking in the slushy lake down to get the bike. It is 3 degrees out and 100mph wind as we go. It kind of sucked. but once you buy in to the adventure and drink the macho coolaid there is no turning back. The walk to the bike took forever, but we finally get to the garage. Bruno opens the garage and the bike is sitting there, cold and pissed off. We don't think there is a snowball's chance in Waterford that the bike is going to turn over. Bruno wheels the bike out and sits on it and fiddles with the choke. There is no kick start so he has the electric start to go with and that's it. A battery in cold storage is a crap shoot. Will it start? The bike kicks over slowly like a tired old hag. He twists the throttle and gets more and more life. Finally by the tenth try he gets it going from a low roar to a even thump. Now I'm thinking this was a bad idea and now it's time to giver a try. Mind you this bike has pretty good set of knobs but no ice studs. I just slushed through the lake and there is no way that I am going to break my neck on the ice. I figure I'll let Bruno try first. He backs the idling bike out and gets stuck. There is an easy 14 inches of snow just outside the garage and he hits it like a brick wall. We have to pick the bike up and turn it around in the snow so he can point it down the driveway. He gets back on it and kicks it into gear. A roostertail of power flies in my face and he is off. Two inches per hour. The thing is not going anywhere. He would have needed ten penny nails in his tires to move. All the while the ass end of this bike is flailing and bucking from side to side. I push him forward and he dog paddles out to the street. The driveway was unplowed and you really couldn't tell where the driveway ended and the yard began.

He gets it into the snow covered street and hammers it. It was like he had two sticks of butter under his wheels. Insane. He makes it back and stops. Now helmetless I giver a try. I kick it into gear and it is like the greasy-ist balancing act that I have ever tried. No brakes no steering. The road was a sheet of ice. Did I metion it was 2 degrees out? It was fun but both my collar bones came back intact.

We didn't even consider the lake after that.
Hehe . . Nice report, Todd.

I can't believe how slippery the riding was.

That was retarded !
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #828
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwilhelm
I should not be forced to buy something a don't want or like.
Agreed.

And, you're not.

All you have to say is "I bought an Xterra because that's what i wanted".

That's it.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #829
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Andy, i'm interested in a really clean Mini Trail.

Todd told me you know about Mini Trails, can you point me in the right direction ?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #830
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Andy, i'm interested in a really clean Mini Trail.

Todd told me you know about Mini Trails, can you point me in the right direction ?
See my website at www.andywaddell.com. EBay or craigslist is as good a place as any to find them, but it all depends on what you want: something as a base for a resto, a rider that's mechanically sound but maybe not terribly pretty for farting around on while camping, something for the kids to learn on, a pristine original for your "collection", or a pristine resto. All prices and conditions, depending on what you're looking for. And as you're probably aware, eBay is a great place to get screwed because what's the guy claims ain't what the guy really has in his backyard shed! There's hundreds of people that drag the PoS out of their parents' barn, wash it, and claim it's a "nearly mint CT70". Um...yeah. I can help you; I've got the trained eye for them to know what I'm seeing.

Hit me on email offline (address is on my website) with more about what you're looking for. As with anything else, it depends on 1) what you want the bike to do and 2) your budget. I've built all levels, from "just a rider" to near-show-quality.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
andywaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #831
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
4 pages ago I joked about you "clicquey" foreign car pukes and your automotive pablum... enough already.

"snippage"

Besides, the assembly plants, be they big 3 or "new domestic transplants" only have so much to do with the quality and reliability of the car. The lions' share of the "pieces and parts" that go into building a car are built by the automotive supply base, not the car companies. That means that the guy who makes the seats / dahsboards / headliner, etc in your Honda Accord also makes the seats / dahsboards / headliner in your Chevy Malibu or Ford Taurus. If the American car manufacturers fold, many of their suppliers will be shorted a quarter's worth of payments for shipped components. If those suppliers find themselves losing that sort of revenue, they are going to have a damned hard time making shipments to their other customers (i.e. Honda Toyota, Nissan, etc) unless the other customers want to buck up. Unfortunately, one way or another, we are all going to feel the pinch on this one.

We now return you to your regular 2-wheeled programming... unless you want to see another page-long rant like this one
Thanks, Matt. I don't drive anywhere near the miles that you do, but you summed up my experience with American cars very well. They are far better than their detractors would have them be. I live well down on the automotive food chain. I typically buy vehicles with over 100k miles already on them. My current vehicle is a 96 Ram 2500 that I bought a year ago that had 210k on it. Gas, oil (including an occasional quart between changes) and tires. I could go on for an hour, but I won't bore you with that. My point is that they work well.

Your last paragraph makes a point that a lot of people, even professional commentators, miss. If the "Big" Three go down, there will be thousands and thousands of people who never drew a check from any of them who will be out of work. In fact, there already are. I know that on a very personal level. I have worked, in the last three years, a total of 18 months.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #832
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Oddometer: 266
OMG my hands! I tried to take my carb out of my KLR today, in my parents un heated garage. Well I did not get two far. I have not been able to feel my fingers for over an hour now.
Does anyone know of a good heater for a 2 car garage? I don't want to spend a boat load.
But this winter I need to fix the KLR, put shackles and spacers on the X, and simi-rebuild the WR. I need to be worm in there.

I can't get over all this global warming we are having.

My condo garage is heated, but it is only a single and my Talon is in it. The wife keeps yelling at me to get it out of there so she can park in it.
'04 CR50F
GLDS
jpwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #833
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Quote:
OMG my hands! I tried to take my carb out of my KLR today, in my parents un heated garage. Well I did not get two far. I have not been able to feel my fingers for over an hour now.
Does anyone know of a good heater for a 2 car garage? I don't want to spend a boat load.
But this winter I need to fix the KLR, put shackles and spacers on the X, and simi-rebuild the WR. I need to be worm in there.

I can't get over all this global warming we are having.

My condo garage is heated, but it is only a single and my Talon is in it. The wife keeps yelling at me to get it out of there so she can park in it.
The kerosene "salamander" ReddyHeaters aren't bad. Depending on the insulation level of the garage they'll take it anywhere from "tolerable" to "toasty". About $149.99 for a 50k BTU unit when I bought mine, and they're pretty stingy on kerosene. That's what I used for a number of years when I was using the main garage as a workspace sometimes during the winters.

PS: Don't waste your time with the propane units, ReddyHeater or otherwise. I didn't have a bit of luck with them. All they did was pump out a lot of headache-inducing fumes and little heat. YMMV, but I hated 'em.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #834
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Quote:
4 pages ago I joked about you "clicquey" foreign car pukes and your automotive pablum... enough already.
Sorry I am a Auto nut as well as a Cycle nut.
And there is not much new news in the way of bikes. Thought I was keeping the thread busy, hehe.
It is the Detroit (motor city) thread.

I am not trying to bash American cars, or hurt everyones feeling.
People should not get upset for constructive criticism.
Seems like everyone involved with the big three take offence to that all the time. And just cover their ears and keep on the same path.

I take offence when some redneck ignorant UAW person bashes in my car door of my US made Nissan, because it is not a Ford.

The US autos needs imports to survive and the imports need US autos to survive, if either just up and fold completely it will destroy the US.

I don't want to see the big 2.5 go under, I want to see theme change and become viable again, maybe make a car I and many other Americans would want to buy. I would love to see the advertising for the big three booming again, So I can make good money in town again. But this will not happen if all parties are not at the table to change their ways. You can't pretend like there is not a problem with US autos and throw tax payer money at them.

Ford is the only one I see that is moving on things. Ford will survive.

This will be my last post about the Big 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-610

My point is yes a Corvette Z06 can touch it and come very close.
I think we will just have to agree to disagree

Specs from R&T test.

Z06: 505bhp, 3350 lb, RWD, $79,595 for the test vehicle
11.7 @123.7 mph
0-60 in 3.4 sec

Great car, a true American sports car
to me the looks are a little dated, but I would love to have one if I were rich and have multiple sport cars.
The Z06 is the higher end model Corvette

GT-R: 480 bhp, 3960 lb, AWD, estimated $72,880 for test vehicle, $69,850 Base.
quarter mile 11.8 @116.5 mph
0-60 in 3.4 sec

Only one model for now
The GT-R is 500lbs heavier (pig).
35 less bhp than the vette
It has a faster take off.
Comes standard with selectable launch control system

No way can the vette hang with it in the twisties, rain or snow (normal day to day driving) thanks to the suspension and AWD

From R&T "The Corvette experienced a little more difficulty keeping pace with the others when the road started to bend."

From R&T " The GT-R's handling was in a league by itself"

Personally I love the way the car looks.
From R&T "Simply put, the GT-R is the most potent automobile to ever come from Japan, and will surely have manufacturers in America and Europe rethinking their ways. If it weren't for the car's $69,850 asking price (an estimated $72,880 for our test car) — and the fact it wears a Nissan badge — the GT-R might well be considered the most exotic car on the planet."

The GT-R is not nicknamed Godzilla for nothing.

Remember I am a rally guy, I like to drive. I think 1/4 mile racing is lame, How is holding the wheel straight and holding the gas down driving?
This is why I say no American sports car can touch it.

There will be a Nissan GT-r V-Spec next year, dropping 330lbs and adding 70hp
In tests it did Nürburgring at an incredible 7:25 per lap. (For comparison, Walter Röhrl lapped the Ring in 7:28 while driving a Porsche Carrera GT in 2004.)

John I wish I could say you get your Z06 and I will bring my GT-R, and lets race. No matter what the outcome, I think we would both be very happy guys.
'04 CR50F
GLDS

jpwilhelm screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 11:32 AM
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #835
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywaddell
The kerosene "salamander" ReddyHeaters aren't bad. Depending on the insulation level of the garage they'll take it anywhere from "tolerable" to "toasty". About $149.99 for a 50k BTU unit when I bought mine, and they're pretty stingy on kerosene.
Thanks Andy, man I have not seen kerosene in years, I wonder where they sell it around here.
'04 CR50F
GLDS
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #836
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Quote:
Thanks Andy, man I have not seen kerosene in years, I wonder where they sell it around here.
Many gas stations sell it. Just ask; many have a kerosene pump around the side of the building or something. Places like Home Depot and etc. also sell it, but it's more costly than getting it at the pump.

PS: check your PM
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #837
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

I don't feel it on the GTR, JP.

I think it's all boy racer'd out. It's got no class. Reminds me of those lame cars the Drifter wannabe's like.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #838
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
I don't feel it on the GTR, JP.

I think it's all boy racer'd out. It's got no class. Reminds me of those lame cars the Drifter wannabe's like.
See I have always been a fan of the Nissan Skyline (GT-R).
It is said everyone loves to hate the GT-R.
But one thing you can't do is deny it's ability as a sports car.
Bruno you really need to see it in person to get a real feel for it.
Kind of like the Ford Cosworth.
Plus your just mad it outperforms the 911, hehe
Don't worry I am a big Porsche fan too.

I feel that way about a vette, I just picture some Ken doll looking guy stuck in the 80's and thinks he is the shit, driving one.

I found this very funny, you might get a kick out of it.
Porsche Guys or Corvette Guys?

Let me know what you find out about the mini trials Bruno, I would love to get one.
'04 CR50F
GLDS

jpwilhelm screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 11:51 AM
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #839
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

I like this one, Andy;

And this one;

Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #840
John-610
John W.

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Sorry I am a Auto nut as well as a Cycle nut.
John I wish I could say you get your Z06 and I will bring my GT-R, and lets race. No matter what the outcome, I think we would both be very happy guys.
JP - For the record I owned a Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Sold it to pay for a new undisclosed car, lost my dignity, and sod for a new house 13 years ago a sad day in my life in the name of progress.

You seem to characterize the Corvette as something that can only go in a straight line or drag race. In you R&T arcticle there is only .1 second from it and and the 911 on the track. I think most people would consider a Porsche 911, the new ones, fairly good handling. Car mags are like us when we get something new, this was one track, sure would like to see a better sampling.

BTW Toyota will announce a 1.7 Billion dollar loss, first in 41 years, what the hell is going on with the leadership at that company!

ANDY - I QUIT NO MORE CAR CRAP FOR ME!

Bruno - Was that really November when it was 75 degrees and we were riding, election day. WOW seems a long way away now.

JW
John-610 is offline   Reply With Quote