Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #46
mdsn969
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I bought couple of these "security screws" for my Zumo 550 based on these forum posts and other posts and for the life of me still can't figure out what it's true purpose is!

I use my Zumo 550 on my V-Strom 1K and my KLX650C. I have ram mount on both my bikes along with a power harness and I simply swap the Zumo cradle depending on the bike that I am riding that day.

I had heard that in very rough terrain, the zumo clamp could flip up and cause my Zumo to fall out of the cradle. Yet, without the security screw, this has never happened and I have taken my KLX650 to some serious off road rock infested riding areas like Uwharrie and my Zumo never unhooked by flipping up the lever due to terrain or crashing.

I then assume that the security screw is to keep someone from stealing my Zumo when I leave it unattended. I guess there are people that may get confused having to unscrew a screw before taking an expensive piece of equipment....

Better explanation is that I along with thousands of others Zumo owners fell to a clever marketing ploy for these "security screws" that really does not serve a single function. When I leave my bike, I just take my Zumo with me. I also heard that if nothing else, it is for a peace of mind that the Zumo cradle lever will never back off or flip up accidentally with the security screw in place yet in all my riding, this has not happened once in the 3 years that I have taken my Zumo to every conceivable terrain.

Hey, I fell for it too as I am the proud owner of two security screws that I have yet to use.
Trust me, at the most inopportune time the latch will flip up and your Zumo will be a goner.

I have a Zumo mount on 3 bikes and a thumb screw on all three as well.

The screw is not designed to deter a thief directly (it makes it easy to take your Zumo off the bike and with you). It is designed to keep the Zumo from skidding down the road and works beautifully...

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #47
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms969
Trust me, at the most inopportune time the latch will flip up and your Zumo will be a goner.

I have a Zumo mount on 3 bikes and a thumb screw on all three as well.

The screw is not designed to deter a thief directly (it makes it easy to take your Zumo off the bike and with you). It is designed to keep the Zumo from skidding down the road and works beautifully...
Thanks for backing up what I saw too...

Everything is working good,,, till ya see a Zumo go into Launch Mode off a bike!!!
Austin City Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #48
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Got me two of 'em

Just ordered two screws. No I am not considering it a "Security Screw" simply as insurance so it doesn't flop out of its cradle. Just completed a ten day trip through out Death Valley and never had a problem with the cradle unlocking but to be honest I did worry about it happening. For $5 bucks I will not need to worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
steelmagnolia

Oddometer: 309
Feedback

No affiliation, ya da, ya da...but very happy with mine. Ordered and received two with very quick shipping. MUCH better, for me anyway, than having to fool with that tiny black screw (ever loose a screw from your eyeglasses-just about as bad) and having to keep up with the screwdriver. Great quality; threads lined up perfectly and installed easily.

Remember, this is not an anti-thief screw; it is to keep your Zumo from falling out of the mount. However, it is now much easier to pop your Zumo out of the mount instead of leaving it in while you run inside the store "for just a minute" since the original screw is such a PITA.

Thanks!
steelmagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #50
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Glad everyone is digging the screw!!!

And the BESTEST PART?!?!?! It is saving some major coin,,, and top of the line item to boot!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #51
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Kevin56 who makes the screws is bringing a batch down to the Moonshine Lunch Run and you can inspect,,, check out,,, ask question,,, examine,,, purchase,,, and install your screws right here!!!

Also,,, save on shipping buying them here!!!

Just another reason to ride a bunch of miles,,, to Central Illinois,,, in April,,, to a town with a population of 2,,, to eat a Moonburger,,, and go home...

As an added bonus a Ruff Road /Back Road ride will be going on Saturday Morning leaving at 8:25 am central time so you can check out some really cool/muddy roads and creek crossings if you so desire!!! Hard Road/Ruff Road both end up at Moonshine Illinois... I mean,,, where else,,, would you ever want to be???

www.moonshine-run.com
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #52
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Nuther very satisfied customer here. My Zumo had never popped out of the cradle, but having it up high on a TechMount it picks up a lot of vibration and I was always worried about losing it.

Bought two screws. Installed one and rode across VT and into NH on without a doubt the roughest, most heavily winter-damaged pavement I've ever seen. Of course, being on a GS I refused to slow down, so the bike, the rider and the GPS all took a beating.

The Zumo held on heroically, thanks to that little screw. Shoulda bought four; they're small

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #53
jrchain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
zumo security screw

Somewhere I saw an ad for a knurled thumb screw to replace the tiny security screw on the Zumo motorcycle mount (the one you have to use the goofy little screw driver to loosen). Now I can't remember where I saw it. Can anyone direct me to where I can get that replacement?
'02 KLR 650
jrchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #54
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchain
Somewhere I saw an ad for a knurled thumb screw to replace the tiny security screw on the Zumo motorcycle mount (the one you have to use the goofy little screw driver to loosen). Now I can't remember where I saw it. Can anyone direct me to where I can get that replacement?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381458
Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #55
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,172
got mine here - http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=1153.0

also available here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=zumo+screw
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #56
jrchain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thank you gentlemen. There it was--right under my nose!
'02 KLR 650
jrchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #57
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Just got 2 e-mails asking about the Zumo Screw Guy... Wouldn't you like to be known as the guy who screws everyone,,, and is never satisfied???

Bump this up and let the screwing begin again!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #58
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

This is Kevin's e-mail... Good guy...

kpelliott1@charter.net
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #59
Sandbag
Low Tech

Oddometer: 51
Yep I never use that stupid "security" screw & have never had my Zumo fall out...... until a couple weeks ago. After spending an hour walking a trail & cussing myself for not getting this $5 insurance policy, I was lucky & found my 550 laying off to the side of the trail a MILE from where I noticed it was gone. Some how it was not run over my the 5 guys behind me & didn't land on a rock face down. I have purchased my $5 insurance policy.
Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #60
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbag
Yep I never use that stupid "security" screw & have never had my Zumo fall out...... until a couple weeks ago. After spending an hour walking a trail & cussing myself for not getting this $5 insurance policy, I was lucky & found my 550 laying off to the side of the trail a MILE from where I noticed it was gone. Some how it was not run over my the 5 guys behind me & didn't land on a rock face down. I have purchased my $5 insurance policy.
Im glad you found it Tim. We just shot the ADV bull & swapped stories while
you Hiked the trail. Thanks to Alex for giving you a lift back.
That was one FINE ride .
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote