Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
zigyphoto OP
Pay attention

Oddometer: 898
paint to match aluminum on R11 / R12 GS?

Am touching up some aluminum bits (heads, OEM rear rack) on my R1150 and R12GSs and need a spray paint that matches the metal. I've read that Krylon has a silver that is close, but cannot find at my local places and do not want to continue to ride / drive around looking. Anyone know which Krylon it is?

thanks, z
zigyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
kaltzg
Gail

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigyphoto
Am touching up some aluminum bits (heads, OEM rear rack) on my R1150 and R12GSs and need a spray paint that matches the metal. I've read that Krylon has a silver that is close, but cannot find at my local places and do not want to continue to ride / drive around looking. Anyone know which Krylon it is?

thanks, z
KRYLON 1403 Dull Aluminum is a great match. It's important to use several light coats rather that one or two thick coats. When you apply it too thickly it has a tendency to form a rough texture. So, 4 or 5 light coats allowing the paint to tack up between each coat. Then after the color coat dries, cover it with a couple light coats of Krylon Clear Satin. This is a great match for the silver engine paint as well as the BMW trim silver. While this paint is not hightemp paint, it holds up very well on the Oilhead engines. I repaired my scuffed up valve covers a 40,000 miles ago and they still look great. The biggest problem is finding the 1403 in stores. Here is a link to purchase, but they only sell it by the 6 can case. Still, its only $24.00 per case. You wont have any problem finding the clear satin.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(rxo5ecjajcigbx45tzngzp45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=17184

Be careful, if you get those bikes looking too good, people will wonder if you ever ride them.

Gail
kaltzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
zigyphoto OP
Pay attention

Oddometer: 898
gail,

thank you for that detailed response! greatly appreciated.

best

z
zigyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
fire carl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
paint

here is a link for some silver bmw paint that is a match for the silver rims, found this after scratching my rim at a tire change

http://www.colorrite.com/
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/greys.htm
fire carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
papaj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
bluish valve covers

Does anyone know of a good paint that will match the blush color of the GS valve covers?
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigyphoto

thanks, z
Yep, kaltzg is correct! After searching everywhere, I found the Krylon
paint at a local Ace or True Value hardware store (can't remember which it was )

Here are some pics:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335992

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,740
I cut to the chase and got the ColorRite.

matches the best I've seen (I work with paints and finishes at GM), andhave dabbed a bit on the frame chips here and there. Once dry, you don't even see there was any issue.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
ColorRite number

I've looked at the ColorRite web site and sent an Email trying to get their color number (or anyone's) for the aluminun engine color on a 2005 GS. Can't get anywhere with it. Does anyone have that number, please.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
malloy
Studly Adventurer

ColoRite 8055

Hillbilly replied that his paint is ColoRite 8055. I looked at their website and it is said to match BMW #437, white aluminum. Pricey stuff, though.

I found some of the S.E.M. Silver #15083 that Rick Danger mentioned in another thread. It is for vinyl and plastic but seems to go on fine and the guy at the car paint store said if it will stick on plastic it will do fine on metal - it is done all the time, yada, yada. The color is pretty close so far - one coat over several primers but not quite as metallicy.

I couldn't find the Krylon 1403 dull aluminum locally (small town) but it is listed on Autozone's website.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Progress Report: The SEM Silver with several coats of SEM high gloss clear coat (#13003) is not a perfect match on a R1200GS valve cover, but close. It is just a little darker and not quite as much metalic content. SEM Satin Gloss clear coat (#13013) might have been a little better so far as gloss level as the high gloss defintiely has more shine than stock tones. SEM paints are avaiable at NAPA and car paint/refinishing stores.

I got a lot of "orange peel" with the color coats no matter how I proceeded: quick recoats - no sanding; slow (24 hour) recoat with sanding. So I piled on the clear coats so I would have a lot to work with when "color sanding".

Turns out "color sanding" is really wet sanding the clear coat after it has cured. There's a thread in the Garage about it ("Sanding Questions"). Anyway, it sure saved the day in terms of the quality of the finish - smoothness, gloss, etc.

I saw a silver aerosol at Orchard Hardware and Supply under their own brand name. It looked pretty close. Also there is a line of Rustoleum hobby and craft enamels called American Accents that comes in a silver metallic (#2909636) that is very close to the frame silver. But it is a "latex enamel" so might not be suitable for our needs. It comes as brush or aerosol. The closest oil based brush on I can find is Rustoleum Aluminum (#7715). Comes in half pints (great) but is VERY silvery, lighter and brighter than the R1200GS frame but works in a pinch.

malloy screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 11:16 AM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote