Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #1
Echidnachimera OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool2 Kawasaki KLX250S or Honda CRF250L??

Hey everyone! I'm new here my name is Kristen. I've been trying to find myself a bike and have narrowed it down to a Honda CRF250L or a Kawasaki KLX250S. I want a dual sport because I want to travel and you never know when you want to go off-roading. Im about 5'6 and 120lbs so 250's are all I can handle at the moment lol :p So I just wanted some second opinions from people who have more experience then me! Thanks.
Echidnachimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #2
BigIron805
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
At 5'6", you may find the KLX too tall. Although some don't mind that. There is also the Yamaha XT250 that is lower yet. Its best to go sit on a few to see what feels right. The Honda is inbetween the XT250 and the KLX height wise. The KLX is probably the most capable offroad.
BigIron805 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #3
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,883
In before this gets punted to Thumpers.

Oh, and WR250R.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #4
Echidnachimera OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron805 View Post
At 5'6", you may find the KLX too tall. Although some don't mind that. There is also the Yamaha XT250 that is lower yet. Its best to go sit on a few to see what feels right. The Honda is inbetween the XT250 and the KLX height wise. The KLX is probably the most capable offroad.
Yeah I've been told to stay away from it lol. Should I be able to put one or two feet down on the bike or does it matter?
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #5
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidnachimera View Post
Yeah I've been told to stay away from it lol. Should I be able to put one or two feet down on the bike or does it matter?
As a newbie you'll want both feet firmly on the ground. As your skills improve a toe only will be more than enough...

First bike should be considered a temp learning bike. A small displacement DS bike is perfect...cheap to purchase, little to no crash (tip over) damages and easy to sell and move to another bike. My sister is 5'3" on a good day. I started her on an XT250. Then she went to a KX100 then CRF250X that we lowered and now same bike but back to stock height. She can barely get a toe down if she's lucky. She quickly learned she wanted a street only bike as well. Started her on a KZ550 then VLX650 (didn't like cruiser style) then Buell XB9S then BMW R1150R and now has a R6 (track only) and a Ducati Monster 796.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #6
BigIron805
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...deo-91483.html

Heres a comparison article. Just remember, advertising dollars sometimes influence a magazine writers opinion.
BigIron805 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #7
Boxmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
http://adventuremotorcycle.com/revie...o#.U9WTofldWjY

In the article above, they stared with a SF for the lower seat height.
Boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #8
Samtech79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Crf250l or the XT250. Fuel injection makes a starting, altitude and temp changes a piece of cake.
Samtech79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #9
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
As a newbie you'll want both feet firmly on the ground. As your skills improve a toe only will be more than enough...

First bike should be considered a temp learning bike. A small displacement DS bike is perfect...cheap to purchase, little to no crash (tip over) damages and easy to sell and move to another bike. My sister is 5'3" on a good day. I started her on an XT250. Then she went to a KX100 then CRF250X that we lowered and now same bike but back to stock height. She can barely get a toe down if she's lucky. She quickly learned she wanted a street only bike as well. Started her on a KZ550 then VLX650 (didn't like cruiser style) then Buell XB9S then BMW R1150R and now has a R6 (track only) and a Ducati Monster 796.
+1

As someone who has been riding for more than 40 years, I second this opinion. Getting something that you might grow out of in a year is OK for your first bike. You need to get experience and less is more in this instance. Dumping a bike is inevitable when you're learning. Getting something second or third hand for a thousand or two is the way to go. You will have plenty of time later to get that new bike. My personal opinion is that everyone should learn in the dirt where when (not if) you fall, it generally is not as painful or expensive and you will build skills that will help you when you do get on asphalt/concrete.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
twflybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #10
Echidnachimera OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron805 View Post
Oh thats awesome! Yeah I was actually able to sit on the Honda it feels nice though I can only put one foot down, I dont think that should be a problem though?
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #11
Echidnachimera OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post

Yeeaahh thats what the boyfriend told me as well, he just got his KLR650 Cx he is so excited lol :3
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #12
Echidnachimera OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twflybum View Post
+1

As someone who has been riding for more than 40 years, I second this opinion. Getting something that you might grow out of in a year is OK for your first bike. You need to get experience and less is more in this instance. Dumping a bike is inevitable when you're learning. Getting something second or third hand for a thousand or two is the way to go. You will have plenty of time later to get that new bike. My personal opinion is that everyone should learn in the dirt where when (not if) you fall, it generally is not as painful or expensive and you will build skills that will help you when you do get on asphalt/concrete.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yeah thats true! I have been looking for something crazy cheap but my location provides nothing for me as I dont have any vehicle and they're always far away lol. I think I will do that though, just get a cheap one until I have learned that is a great idea, thank you! :)
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #13
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,490
Find a used Kawasaki Super Sherpa, much shorter seat height, ride and enjoy the heck out of it. Then, if you want, sell at no loss to the next rider. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #14
Hack'dTiger
n00b schn00b

Oddometer: 533
Lots of good points mentioned so far. Lowering links are always an option and should be available for most, if not all, of those mentioned above.

For comparison...my wife rides a KLX250, with lowering links. She's ~5'6", and probably around 130lbs. She can barely get the balls of her feet on the ground, but has enough experience to handle it ok.

Edit to add that the TW200 hasn't been mentioned. It doesn't have much suspension travel, but is low to the ground, and would be a good starter. They've got a good following, too, so selling it when you're ready for something bigger shouldn't be hard.
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #15
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
My better half wants to learn to ride. I'd love to find a Sherpa for her....they are awesome regardless if newbie or experienced. TW200 is also a great bike but RV owners are primary owners around here and more than willing to over pay for them.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote