Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #1546
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
When the MS1200 visited Omaha, with it came a tech who had gone to Bologna to train specifically on the new bike. He alluded to a solenoid or stepper motor adjuster for the rear suspension that would in fact modify the ride height electronically.

He did also confirm that the front forks did not electronically adjust.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #1547
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
The Ohlins TTX rear shock's electronically adjustable spring preload, will naturally effect the sag ride height, but unless it's actually physically extending the length of the shock (extremely doubtful), it's merely offering the convenience of not having to manually set the preload, to suit the loads carried.

Altered ride height attained by firming/softening up the suspension, isn't the same as sliding front forks up and down in the triple trees, nor extending or retracting the measured distances between a rear shock's eyelets, on a linkageless bike...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #1548
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 448
while all the electronic adjust-ability of the s is cool, I just can't see me really buying in. It just costs way too much and I tend to "set and forget" stuff. I think the standard model has the same amount of travel as the s in enduro mode. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #1549
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Altered ride height attained by firming/softening up the suspension, isn't the same as sliding front forks up and down in the triple trees, nor extending or retracting the measured distances between a rear shock's eyelets, on a linkageless bike...
996DL
to be more precise, preload is not softening or hardening the suspension, just changing the ratio of positive to negative travel...
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #1550
maybilcatchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
it will be a great bike im sure.. long service intervals, great power, and awesome reliabilty for a ducati. they ran one straight for 40k miles on nurburing with out one oil change and had no issues.. I love my bmw and i love the ducati i had so im not biased... i just love motorcycles and that my friends look like an awesome motorcycle
maybilcatchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1551
KMmoto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57
Any motorcycle promotional video that doesn't include audio of the engine's music is completely worthless.
The commercials that Ducati is running in Italy are better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ikWPaz4HQ

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #1552
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMmoto1
The commercials that Ducati is running in Italy are better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ikWPaz4HQ

Really nice.

"when I was little, people told me the world could not change like that, with a push of a button. You know what? They were wrong.

Today, with a click, I can change (transform) the world whenever I want. The new Ducati Multistrada Milledue. Change (transform) with no limit."

I like the "milledue".

Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #1553
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,644
An old friend whose opinion I greatly respect was on the press launch. I had dinner with him a little while after he got back, and we spoke at length about the new Multi.

He really liked the bike, and thought that the bike was very well thought out, with excellent accessories and features. His thinking was that the 'sport/touring' version was the real value meal out of the three versions being offered for sale. It could do all the others could, and who really needs the CF bits of the sport version? The base model price diff made it a no-brainer to go with the ST one.

He made enough of a case for me to track one down for a demo ride. I really enjoy my GSA, but he got me thinking really hard about this new Duc. The much improved maintenance intervals are a big point in this market segment, too.

Haven't looked forward to a new model launch in a long time, this one has me going.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #1554
madidu
Hmmm...

Oddometer: 32
flogging a dead horse

or whatever the flipside of that is--not tickling a live donkey, presumably...

Anyhoo, here's another rave review of the new Multistrada, this one from our Austrian friends at 1000ps (http://www.1000ps.at/testbericht-234...uzuki_RMX_450Z [never mind the URL...]), who are not only fun to read (trust me on this one) but also share the apparently universal patriotic bias of moto journalists, which in their case translates into a preference for all things KTM, but, you guessed it, they still sang the Multi's praises.

At this point, the question may no longer be "why buy this bike?" but instead "why not buy this bike?" (other than the obvious reason: $$, or rather $$$$$). It would be fun to see a review that addresses this question. Or perhaps we should take bets on which magazine/website will publish a negative review of the bike--my money is on the German "Motorrad" magazine, which after carefully applying highly objective scientific rigorous evaluation criteria...inevitably picks a BMW as the test winner.

-- Markus
madidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #1555
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by madidu
or whatever the flipside of that is--not tickling a live donkey, presumably...

Anyhoo, here's another rave review of the new Multistrada, this one from our Austrian friends at 1000ps (http://www.1000ps.at/testbericht-234...uzuki_RMX_450Z [never mind the URL...]), who are not only fun to read (trust me on this one) but also share the apparently universal patriotic bias of moto journalists, which in their case translates into a preference for all things KTM, but, you guessed it, they still sang the Multi's praises.

At this point, the question may no longer be "why buy this bike?" but instead "why not buy this bike?" (other than the obvious reason: $$, or rather $$$$$). It would be fun to see a review that addresses this question. Or perhaps we should take bets on which magazine/website will publish a negative review of the bike--my money is on the German "Motorrad" magazine, which after carefully applying highly objective scientific rigorous evaluation criteria...inevitably picks a BMW as the test winner.

-- Markus
Thanks for the link to the test.
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #1556
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Has anyone read anything that would explain why Ducati decided to use a steel handlebar over a Renthal or Answer type aluminum bar ? That would be one of the first things I would be replacing.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #1557
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
Has anyone read anything that would explain why Ducati decided to use a steel handlebar over a Renthal or Answer type aluminum bar ? That would be one of the first things I would be replacing.
"Looks" like an aluminum bar -- where did you see that it was steel ?

If it is steel, it is probably to dampen vibration.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #1558
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
May edition of Motorcyclist, page 67, they mention "Tapered steel handlebar".
I have not seen mention of this in the few other writings. Perhaps they are incorrect.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #1559
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 348
Well, I was out looking for furniture today when a 1200S Multistrada came hammering past, with trade plates on. "Aha" I thought and hot footed off to the local Ducati dealer. There it was in their workshop, cooling down. It's a lot better looking than the pictures - the promotional reading is in the form of a small hard back book, complete with accessories, so I took a copy home.
It turns out that this is their demonstrator, and when it's registered and taxed next week, they're going to call me over for a test ride. I think if push came to shove, much arm twisting etc I could manage that...
Just sitting on it felt good, nice ergonomics, with a relaxed knee bend, so should be good comfort wise.
I've got a R1200 GSA at the moment, and have just sold a Triumph 1050 Tiger, so this is shaping up to be a serious contender for it's replacement (cash permitting - I coughed when I heard the price)
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #1560
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Hold off on the furniture, till after the demo ride...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote