Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #1576
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Most bikes have a time and mileage clause in their service schedule. It's pretty normal that the brake fluid and coolant are replaced every two years. From what I've learned from the local Ducati club members is that the belts can go past 2 years, but should a belt break, you're stranded.
Isn't this an interference engine? Valves can hit the pistions if the belt breaks? If thats the case your not only stranded but skrewed......I figured it was but it would be great if it isn't, what about a Ducati 2v 900 (in my GC) I'd be happy to find out it's not, always assumed it was but i'm no duc expert by a long shot.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #1577
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
I **think** it's an interference engine, but I'm not sure.. at any rate, if Ducati says 5 years on the belts, I certainly wouldn't go any more than that. I don't think I've ever kept any bike I've owned for 5 years.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #1578
stagecoach
Gear Head

Oddometer: 206
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
Isn't this an interference engine? Valves can hit the pistions if the belt breaks? If thats the case your not only stranded but skrewed......I figured it was but it would be great if it isn't, what about a Ducati 2v 900 (in my GC) I'd be happy to find out it's not, always assumed it was but i'm no duc expert by a long shot.
I'm just going to throw this out there, you make the call...
I work at a Ducati dealership that does moderate service volume, including Desmosedicis and racebikes. Since the advent of the current Ducati belt system starting with the Paso in 1988, we have seen 0 (zero) belt failures. Same belts in World Superbike Racing. Belts can break if something else larger fails, but not likely on their own. To worry about belt failure on this bike is a poor allocation of your time
stagecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #1579
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
So it is an interference engine?

Thanks for the details on the keyless ignition. That's the icing on the cake.. gotta love being able to get on the bike and ride without fumbling for a key.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #1580
stagecoach
Gear Head

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
So it is an interference engine?

Thanks for the details on the keyless ignition. That's the icing on the cake.. gotta love being able to get on the bike and ride without fumbling for a key.
Interference, yes.

Many, many interesting features on thus bike. I'm getting a black S Touring. Should be arriving first week of May. I can't wait, and from what I've seen, I have no worries about the electrics, maintenance, or durability.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #1581
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Saw this over on the Ducati forum.

Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #1582
KarlG
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
I guess that might be part of it. But don't most timing belts on other vehicles usually go for like 5 years or 60,000 miles or something like that?

Also, they specify that the valves have to be checked/adjusted every 24 months, regardless of mileage, plus a bunch of other stuff too, I think. I just don't get that.
I very highly doubt this information you received is true or came from Ducati. I recently received a service reminder from DNA on my 2008 1098S:

Quote:
Book a maintenance check for your Ducati

Hi Karl,

almost 2 years have gone by since you purchased your Superbike 1098 S. You've enjoyed miles after miles of the open road getting in tune with your two-wheeled partner.

To keep your Ducati performing at its best, your bike should undergo its third maintenance check when it reaches 24.000 Km (15,000 miles) or 2 years after its date of purchase whichever comes first (in the latter case, all that's required is a quick technical check-up and an oil and filter change).

If you haven't scheduled the service yet, you should contact your Ducati dealer and book an appointment. And when you stop in, check out the range of clothing or the ways to customize your motorcycle with original accessories.

Desmodromic regards,
The Ducati Team
It specifically states that the 24 month check, if the bike is below milage, is a quick technical check up and an oil change and NOT a valve adjustment. I highly doubt they will be changing their matinence recommendation on a "reduced maintenance" bike.

KarlG screwed with this post 04-16-2010 at 03:00 PM
KarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #1583
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoach
I'll break it down AS WRITTEN BY DUCATI in the tech training for the Multistrada:

600 mile service = 1.4 hours
7500 mile (or annual) service = 1.5 which is an oil change
15,000 mile service (no time requirement) = 6 hours which includes the desmo valve service

Coolant and fluids at 36 months/ 3 years
Belts at 60 months/ 5 years

The talk about the 15,000 mile service being required at 24 months is incorrect. What is required at 15,000 or 24 months is the third oil and filter change (600 mile, 7,500 mile, 15,000 mile, etc...). The actual 15,000 mile service including valves has no time requirement - it is at 15K miles.

The fact that the service time for the 15,000 mile service is spec'ed at 6 hours @ flat rate means that it is truly half of the previous service requirement (which was actually spec'ed a little over 6 hours).

Hope this calms some of the fears about 12 hour services - they don't exist.
This is an extremely easy Ducati to service, it was designed very thoughtfully with maintenance in mind.
You are absolutely correct. I retract the statements that I made previously (in good faith, since they supposedly came directly from the MTS 1200 owner's manual).

Anyway, I just called my dealer service guy & he also verifies all of the above. They apparently have gone to Kevlar reinforced belts which pretty much makes them indestructible under normal, everyday use.

He quoted around $1100 all up for the valve/belt service, but that's only if you end up with 15,000 or 30,000 miles etc. on the bike at 5 years where they have to do both at once, otherwise it isn't that much.

Thank you very much for the definitive answer regarding this issue!
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #1584
KarlG
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
I'll break it down AS WRITTEN BY DUCATI in the tech training for the Multistrada:

15,000 mile service (no time requirement) = 6 hours which includes the desmo valve service

The talk about the 15,000 mile service being required at 24 months is incorrect. What is required at 15,000 or 24 months is the third oil and filter change (600 mile, 7,500 mile, 15,000 mile, etc...). The actual 15,000 mile service including valves has no time requirement - it is at 15K miles.

The fact that the service time for the 15,000 mile service is spec'ed at 6 hours @ flat rate means that it is truly half of the previous service requirement (which was actually spec'ed a little over 6 hours).

This is an extremely easy Ducati to service, it was designed very thoughtfully with maintenance in mind.
Thanks for the definitive answer

KarlG screwed with this post 04-16-2010 at 02:57 PM
KarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #1585
madidu
Hmmm...

Oddometer: 32
let's not forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori
Saw this over on the Ducati forum...
OK, enough already... This reminds of the original German KTM 950 Adventure ad--shorter, but no less sweet, and more KTM-y, somehow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OVSDrNcrao
madidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #1586
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Now a washington dealer is saying that the belts are supposed to be replaced at 15,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. Is this your understanding too?
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #1587
stagecoach
Gear Head

Thumb

Quote:
Now a washington dealer is saying that the belts are supposed to be replaced at 15,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. Is this your understanding too?
Nope.
Ducati says 5 years, not mileage dependent.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #1588
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope.
Ducati says 5 years, not mileage dependent.
Here's my post on a different forum and his response.

Whaddya think?

I'm assuming that you're saying that you're a Ducati dealer and your service department got this info directly from Ducati?

According to the dealer tech I talked to, who said he was reading straight from the official factory guidelines that he had just received, This is something completely new that apparently just came out within the last couple of days.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but somebody sure is.

Who the hell knows WHAT the truth is? I give up!

Well if my signature didn't give it away, yes I am the dealer principal at Ducati Seattle.. 11 years in business as a Ducati only store, 19 year with the brand for me.

The technical training on the new MTS started about 4 weeks ago and Marty our lead tech attended the first class offered. The official maintenance schedule that dealers are encouraged to follow came out 4/7. It lists all the items that should be checked, adjusted and or replaced. and yes it does break down by time, mileage and age for many of the routine maintenance items.

Here is what it says regarding the items that should be replaced or changed during the 15000 mile service.

The Desmo Service (15000miles/24000km) includes the following operations:
Change the engine oil
Change the engine oil filter and the copper gasket on plug
Change front fork fluid Change only every 36 months/3 years
Replace the timing belts or 60 months/5 years
Replace the spark plugs
Replace the air filter

Last observation I would make is that your quoted recommended labor times are reversed on the 600 (1.5) and 7500 (1.4) - reading the bulletin again tonight as I respond

Hope this clears things up.. I would be happy to answer any other questions about the Multistrada if you have any..

2009 National Top Parts "Gold" Award Winner (3rd year in a row)
2009 National Best Internet Presence "Silver" Award Winner

Contact Info:
1.877.298.9995 Toll Free
parts@ducatiseattle.com
Store Hours: Tues-Fri 10-7
Saturday 10-6
Sun, Mon off riding
Ducati Seattle is now on Facebook Please become a fan !
Follow us on Twitter
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #1589
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,882
Quote:
I can't wait
Neither can I
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #1590
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,035
Cam belt life

I've always been surprised by the frequency of Ducati cam belt replacement (12,000 miles on my old '92 900SS), since with the desmodromic valvetrain the belts are required to transmit only a fraction of the force that a spring valvetrain would require.

Of course belts degrade for other reasons.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote