Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #1591
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
I've always been surprised by the frequency of Ducati cam belt replacement (12,000 miles on my old '92 900SS), since with the desmodromic valvetrain the belts are required to transmit only a fraction of the force that a spring valvetrain would require.

Of course belts degrade for other reasons.

--Doc
I've wondered exactly that same thing, and for the same reason. With modern materials it's surprising that they apparently wear out so fast. Maybe Ducati just doesn't trust their design? Or it could be that they're operated at such high speeds.

The new Harley final drive belts are about the same size and they take far more abuse, plus they're running in dust, dirt, water, rocks etc. and they can last for 100,000 miles.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #1592
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,306
It makes Ducati service a lot of money.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #1593
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
It makes Ducati service a lot of money.
They'd hafta sell a LOTTA belts to offset the losses from people buying other brand bikes because of the high maintenance costs of the Ducs, though.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #1594
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,107

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #1595
maybilcatchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
I've wondered exactly that same thing, and for the same reason. With modern materials it's surprising that they apparently wear out so fast. Maybe Ducati just doesn't trust their design? Or it could be that they're operated at such high speeds.

The new Harley final drive belts are about the same size and they take far more abuse, plus they're running in dust, dirt, water, rocks etc. and they can last for 100,000 miles.
they take pride in heritage.. thats why they havent change...
maybilcatchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #1596
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
If you're really serious about getting this bike, the service interval of the belts a deal breaker?

For me, it won't be.

As for the Harley comparison, if the HD belt snaps, you're stuck until you put a new belt on.

If the Ducati belt snaps because you didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended service interval, you will destroy the engine.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #1597
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If you're really serious about getting this bike, the service interval of the belts a deal breaker?

For me, it won't be.

As for the Harley comparison, if the HD belt snaps, you're stuck until you put a new belt on.

If the Ducati belt snaps because you didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended service interval, you will destroy the engine.
I agree completely.

So, what is the recommended replacement interval?

From what I've read/been told, it's either mandatory at 15,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first - which is what a Washington dealer says - or else only at 5 years independent of the mileage - which is what two Denver area dealer techs told me.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #1598
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
I agree completely.

So, what is the recommended replacement interval?

From what I've read/been told, it's either mandatory at 15,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first - which is what a Washington dealer says - or else only at 5 years independent of the mileage - which is what two Denver area dealer techs told me.
I've never heard of a belt change interval that was independent of mileage.

It's been 12k in the past for Ducati......so the 15k cited above makes sense.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #1599
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Has there been any specs released giving the load capacity of the new Multi yet ?

With that large accessory topcase available and the accessory large lids for the side cases available it must be reasonable. I hope.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #1600
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
Has there been any specs released giving the load capacity of the new Multi yet ?

With that large accessory topcase available and the accessory large lids for the side cases available it must be reasonable. I hope.
The Ducati marketing booklet lists the panniers as max load 10Kg each, with a volume of 58 litres. There are optional easy to swap bigger lids which increase the volume to 73 Litres each. Top box is 48 litres/10Kg.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #1601
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

I've seen a few pics of the touring models with the little front fender extension in place.

Does anybody know if the sport model comes with that?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #1602
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog
The Ducati marketing booklet lists the panniers as max load 10Kg each, with a volume of 58 litres. There are optional easy to swap bigger lids which increase the volume to 73 Litres each. Top box is 48 litres/10Kg.
That is part of it and thanks. Now we need gross vehicle weight which would give us how much total weight above the bike itself is recommended. Not that I am a heavy weight at 170lbs but you add a passenger at another 100-130lbs then pack the side and top cases how close are we going to be at or above Ducati's weight limit? Until we see that number who knows.

Where I am headed with this, I simply hope the handling is not easily affected by approaching or being at the limit.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #1603
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Where I am headed with this, I simply hope the handling is not easily affected by approaching or being at the limit.
It was encouraging, when the photos appeared of the devopmental mules being put through their paces, that an oversized rear topbox (seemingly considerably larger than the present optional item) was shown mounted in one or two shots. Not everyone travels with just an Aerostich suit and a gold card, but it would appear loaded stability was certainly on Ducati's agenda, judging by the Coleman cooler sized topbox in the early photos.

When the trickle becomes a cascade, of owners receiving their MS1200's in the weeks/months ahead, it will be interesting (irresistible even) to review the rider reports filtering in on the forums...
While I'm sure someone will quickly post the load capacity information you've requested, it'll be everyday owners of all descriptions that'll help determine and inform us, as to how well this exciting bike responds to real world use and abuse.

I'm in the rarified minority, dying to hear of how MS1200's fitted with non-aerodynamic panniers and loaded heavily will behave...

However for myself, Suzuki generously provided (at no additional charge ) restricted output in 5th and 6th gears on my DL1000, otherwise the bike would have been a lot more expensive,
if it actually handled when loaded...

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 08:50 AM
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #1604
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

On a few other forums I have been following a UK Multi 1200 owner that has taken delivery of his new bike. He has just recently had the first service completed and has been writing impressions thus far.

I managed to have him test the handlebars to see if they truly are steel rather than the Al they appear to be. He confirmed with a magnet that they are indeed steel. Hope I don't come across as obessed about this detail but I am just thinking / planning ahead if I take ownership. While I would likely be crying about much more than a bent handlebar dropping this thing I just remember how messed up it made my bikes from many years ago when you take a fall and had to ride with tweaked handlebars until you could replace them.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #1605
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
On a few other forums I have been following a UK Multi 1200 owner that has taken delivery of his new bike. He has just recently had the first service completed and has been writing impressions thus far.

I managed to have him test the handlebars to see if they truly are steel rather than the Al they appear to be. He confirmed with a magnet that they are indeed steel. Hope I don't come across as obessed about this detail but I am just thinking / planning ahead if I take ownership. While I would likely be crying about much more than a bent handlebar dropping this thing I just remember how messed up it made my bikes from many years ago when you take a fall and had to ride with tweaked handlebars until you could replace them.
What is the advantage of using a steel handlebar painted to look like aluminum, instead of real aluminum?

Did Ducati's marketing dept decide many buyers would pay thousands for carbon fiber non structural parts like engine timing covers and $4000 worth of optional carbon fiber parts, but nobody was interested in an extra $40 for an aluminum handlebar, not even offered as a $100 option? Do other Ducati's come with steel handlebars too?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote