Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #1666
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemsay
GadgetBoy, I'd guess that the Multistrada has a similar level of wind protection as the F800GS.
That would be a real disappointment. I was looking to add a sport touring bike to complement the 800GS but more wind protection would be needed... I'll have to try it and see..
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #1667
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw
Lets see where everyone is!.........no need for addresses (for obvious reasons!!), just your locations:

Go here:
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Owners Map
Ducati Multistrada 1200 owners - MTS1200 owners worldwide
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=158028

Click 'Additions' on the tool bar and select 'Add Marker'

Enter your forum user 'nic' (and maybe your real forename as well would be good), your basic location and choose a green, blue or red marker

Click the 'Details' tab and add any extra info you wish

Click the submit button

NB: You marker will not appear immediately, all new entries have to be approved by me to keep the spammers and wallies at bay!

Owners groups:
http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...tistrada-1200/

http://www.multistrada.net
Up to 30 markers on the map already
Australia 3
Belgium 1
Canada 1
Italy 3
New Zealand 1
UK 17
USA 4
......when placing your marker make sure you enter advrider.com (or preferred forum link) in the details tab ;-) (current AND soon to be owners)
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #1668
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
My dealer here in the Dallas area (AMS) informed me that their demo was going to be at the dealership on 5/14 with demo rides probably available on 5/15. Finally.

Customer bikes expected in somewhere around 5/19 - 5/21 but that is probably real open to change.
Anyone riding in the Austin/Hill Country area this week should keep an eye out. You folks might see some interesting stuff...

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #1669
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemsay
I'm very, very tempted, but I keep on feeling as though the K1300R does virtually everything that the Multi does, and is 90% of the price...
Do you think the agility, wind protection and ergos of the K13R are similar to the MTS1200?

I've never ridden either....but I terrorized a K13R on my KTM 950SM on a tight, twisty road, as the BMW rider complained about wheelbase and flickability.

Suspension travel makes a difference too in how well one can rail over heaving, broken pavement.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #1670
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Having a k1200S I can give some feedback on that bike platform as the 1300R falls into it. These bikes handle well but in tight twisty roads they will not match the flickability of pure sport bikes. Wheel base is simply too long and weight is also up from the sportbikes. I actually think they are a good compromise as the platform allows all day touring comfort.

With all that said I am looking at the new Multi to possibly replace my K1200S because I wanted a new Ducati sportbike for a while but could not justify the dollars spent for the narrow application of that kind of bike. The new Multi's 4 -1 bike may be exactly what I am looking for without the back breaking hand numbing ergos the awesome 1198 series gives you. We will see. I also hope that the two up space and comfort will at least match the K bikes as they are not bad for a big sport touring bike.

Next weekend's demo ride cannot come soon enough. I hope to walk away with my mind made up pro Ducati.

Goss screwed with this post 05-09-2010 at 08:53 AM
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #1671
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Jay Leno Reviews the Multistrada

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...strada-1200-s/
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #1672
krampus
get lost

I'm home after seven hours of travel time, I've got a few belts of Jim Beam in me, and I'm soaking in the last day and a half with the the new Multi.

Ducati does things their own way...and fuck me if this isn't the most remarkable machine I've ridden in my 23 years on two wheels. Is it a plated KTM 450? Not a chance. Is it a big-ass, mile-crushing LT? Nope...no way in hell. This bike is different...really different.

The CEO of DNA made it clear that, while Ducati is first and foremost a Superbike manufacturer, the future of Ducati lies in its abilty to also produce motorcycles the broader community wants. This bike is evidence.

All the whiz-bang techno stuff on the bike aside,
http://mts1200owners.ducati.com/lyb.do?lang=en
one feature I really like is the heavier flywheel. No longer is full throttle/full skid the only way to ride the 1198.4cc motor. Parking lots and city streets are now totally managable. Oh, and at high speeds you ask? Fantastic! BTW, top speed is in 5th gear..6th is an overdrive!

So, is it right for you? Go to you local dealer, ride it and then you decide.

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #1673
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Krampus, so in the video clip below did this red Multi have the quiet insert in that full Termi system ? I hope not as that is not an exhaust I could tour with !

Sounds sweet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WTZRXuNeg
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #1674
jarelj
Ductastic

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
............ did this red Multi have the quiet insert in that full Termi system ? I hope not as that is not an exhaust I could tour with !
Nope, that one had the full Termi system with open pipe, sounded GOOD! But yeah, might be a bit thundering for a long tour. It really doesn't sound bad with the stock pipes, sounds like a proper Duc. The Termi slip-ons are a little louder than stock, but not nearly as loud as slip-on on a Superbike, so I think they did a good job of designing that upgrade with a longer-distance rider in mind.

GREAT day on Monday out riding the Multi 1200 through central Texas, it's hard to put into words (without sounding like a moto-journalist) how great that bike is at its intended purpose of being a great all-arounder. The change in response from the various riding modes is very effective, and in Sport mode it's a frickin' fast and very planted bike that can handle 80mph sweepers as good as anything this side of an 1198S. Then dial it down to Urban mode when you get to the bumpy slow city streets and it's a nice sedate commuter, easy to ride, nothing too crazy, and soaks up the potholes with the best of them. I think for my type of riding (ride fast on the track, take it a lot easier on the street), I'd modify the Sport setting with a little softer suspension setup and it would be my dream bike, as fast on the street as anything out there, comfortable, fun, great for 2-up rides with the wife, looks great, sounds great, cool technology, a Ducati!
"2009 Best Exclusive Ducati Dealer in North America!"
jarelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #1675
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
I'll be riding one in about 30min, will share 1st impressions later!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #1676
krampus
get lost

Gizmodromic Switchgear

I only glanced over the gizmodromic(a term coined by TedShred) switchgear in last night's post. It is difficult to iterate just how much that sweetens the ride. Many, if not most folks on this site put on buckets of miles in varying conditions.

Imagine a bike that is always responsive and has the proper suspenders, regardless of condition. 80mph sweepers...click. Road turns to sh!t...click. ESA on a GS is, and remains in my mind, fantastic...the configurable modes with the DES takes things to a whole new level.

On-the-fly changes to personalized modes that suit me and my riding style...oh man!!! Did I mention that everything is rebuildable? Ohlins isn't new to electronic suspension either. Their first patent was in the mid 80s and the first electronic foray in to racing was in the early 90s.

I'm starting to sound like a schoolgirl in love and perhaps I am. Is twenty large worth admission? How much would you pay to dial in your garage full of bikes?

Again, go to your dealer, ride the thing, and decide for yourself.

Ducati Gizmodromics. Game Over.

H.S. Thompson

krampus screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 09:04 AM
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #1677
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,093
Could some of you upcoming owners/demo riders in NA, please verify whether these full production examples are spot on with fuel injection mapping, as owners in Europe seem to be reporting. Motorcyclist/Cycle World tests of early preproduction models tainted the waters somewhat, so let us know your impressions of the NA production model's FI behavior.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #1678
jarelj
Ductastic

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Could some of you upcoming owners/demo riders in NA, please verify whether these full production examples are spot on with fuel injection mapping, as owners in Europe seem to be reporting. Motorcyclist/Cycle World tests of early preproduction models tainted the waters somewhat, so let us know your impressions of the NA production model's FI behavior.

996DL
FWIW, I rode two different models on Monday and both were spot-on, pulled cleanly from stoplights, no hic-ups, no stalls. And the best part is the new cam timing/mapping allows this new 11 degree version of the Testastretta to pull cleanly from very low RPM's, whereas an 1198 will pretty much only pull from about 3500 RPM on up without doing the herky-jerky.
"2009 Best Exclusive Ducati Dealer in North America!"
jarelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #1679
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I am going this weekend to drop off my Vstrom and 1k to start the process of getting my Multi. Sounds like I will be aquiring what I have been looking for from the reviews you people are posting up.

I am gettting the feeling this bike will be practical for everyday use with the bags and all. I for once be able to stow my gear when off the bike and bring everday needed things with me without having to worry about petty theft because of soft bags. another

I get to ride a demo bike this Saturday as well

Excitement is building!
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #1680
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Gadgetboy, I'm not that familiar with the F800GS, so the Multistrada might offer a bit more wind protection. But I'd guess that it's less than the R1200GS.

I suppose that you'll have to suffer a test ride to find out. I know, it's a hard life.

Curvesurfer, California has worse roads than the UK.

From memory (and bearing in mind that I rode the K1300R a year ago), I'd say that the Multistrada is more nimble. The K is probably better suited for distance work though.

The ergos are a lot different. The BMW is more leant forward and spacious, whereas the Ducati is more upright and maybe a touch supermoto.

The Multistrada is similar to something like a KTM SMT or Triumph Tiger, but when I did a back-to-back try on of these three machines at a dealership I found that the Ducati feels a bit more cramped. The bars are a bit closer to the rider, and the pillion pegs intrude on the rider's foot space if you've got big feet. It doesn't quite work for me, and that's a bit of a pain.

(I'm just over 6'2", size 13 UK / 14 US, and take a 34" to 36" inseam for jeans.)
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote