ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1696
mmcannava
Doc
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Oddometer: 61
How's the quality of the panniers? Are they alleged to be waterproof? Wonder how long it'd take for someone like Trax to make ones that fit?

Mat
Soldotna, AK
mmcannava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #1697
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer
 
fixinbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcannava
How's the quality of the panniers? Are they alleged to be waterproof? Wonder how long it'd take for someone like Trax to make ones that fit?

Mat
Soldotna, AK
good question. Werent there complaints by the moto journalist about how they could never be waterproof in their current state.
__________________
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #1698
krampus
get lost
 
krampus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
good question. Werent there complaints by the moto journalist about how they could never be waterproof in their current state.
One of the DNA reps mentioned that they are "highly weather resistant" or something similar, but stopped short of calling them 100% water tight. There is a rubber seal that the lid beds in to, and does look to be decent. For riding in the worst conditions, the rep recommended getting the bag liners as an additional layer of insurance against any water intrusion.
__________________
Harrison, A&S BMW , DUCATI & TRIUMPH

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #1699
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,515
I would go with red (better saying, I WILL go with red).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemsay
Were I to get one, I'd go for either white or black.

The bike looks really mean in black, but the white is a deep, pearlescent paint which looks very nice.

Lion BR screwed with this post 05-17-2010 at 08:49 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #1700
Goss
LC8 Adventurer
 
Goss's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcannava
How's the quality of the panniers? Are they alleged to be waterproof? Wonder how long it'd take for someone like Trax to make ones that fit?

Mat
Soldotna, AK
The side cases are produced by Givi my dealer thinks so if your familiar with their products that gives you an idea.

The slots in the tail section where the cases attach are very intergrated and hidden. I suspect the after market will be producing their own tube design mouting hardware but that would ugly up a very nice looking bike quickly.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2007 Ducati 999S Parts Unlimited
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #1701
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
The side cases are produced by Givi my dealer thinks so if your familiar with their products that gives you an idea.

The slots in the tail section where the cases attach are very intergrated and hidden. I suspect the after market will be producing their own tube design mouting hardware but that would ugly up a very nice looking bike quickly.
Yes, I heard the cases are made by Givi, and they must have a no compete clause with Ducati because they also made the cases for the previous generation Multi but did not make any after market frames and cases for it, the way they do for many other bikes.

You'd think if Givi made the cases, they will be absolutely water tight. I've never had any issues with any of the Givi cases I've owned.

I had a close look at the back end of the new Multi and I don't see where you'd mount a traditional pannier hoops frame, plus I read that the rear frame is made of "composite" materials.. so, who knows.. I'd opt for the 73 liter cases.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #1702
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,532
Re the cases, this from a new owner:

Quote:
The biggest potential problem is the lids are not water tight. I can see daylight between the front halves.
Posted deep in this page on the lengthy Multi 12 discussion under way on the Kevin Ash site. Says the dealer is taking it up with the factory. Ash offers a response on the next page, observing he'd drawn attention to the same issue at the press launch, but was assured it would be fixed for production.

On a happier note, an inmate of multistrada.net recently reported passing 100,000 US miles on his 06 Multi 1000.

Quote:
The thing is running great no smoke and no excessive oil burning. I swear when we pulled into the garage I heard her say "lets go for 200k"
The thread is here for those interested. Owner is eyeing off the 1200.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #1703
vroom2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 20
Off Pavement MS vs. R1150GS

I test rode a new Multistrada 1200 and rode it in the Enduro setting for a while on a 2 foot wide gravel shoulder at 50km/h. It seemed about as good at it as my R1150GS (with stock tires) that I rode over the same places afterwards, but not quite as stable as an F800GS that rode over the same area. I would have gone faster, but in places the shoulder was only a foot wide, and had some overhanging tree branches, so I had to keep coming back up the 1-2" sharp rise to the paved road. Coming back up the rise, I had a bit more confidence with the MS1200 than my R1150GS (possibly because the GS had less road feel, and hence inspired less confidence), but not quite as much as the F800GS, with its carefree 21" front wheel.

With some intrepidation (prior to trying it), I also took the MS1200 on a short off-road single and two-track section that was dry, mostly hard-ish, but with some ruts left over from the last time it was wet and trucks went on it. No deep sand or anything. It was a low-speed area with lots of tight turns and negotiation between obstacles such as branches and some garbage. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was on the MS. I went over the same section afterwards with my R1150GS. Even with my unfamiliarity with the bike, the MS actually felt a bit easier to ride there because of it's much lighter weight.

Both of these tests satisfied my uncertainty whether the Multistrada will take me on dirt and gravel roads, fire roads, and, at low speeds, some light (no big rocks) trails or no maintenance roads. I like to do a lot of dirt road riding on my GS now, but I avoid anything with mud, since it doesn't have knobbies and mud feels like an oil slick. The same would go for the MS. Some tip-over protection would be nice for the MS though, since my GS can handle that with no damage.

So in summary, I feel that I will be able to take the MS wherever I have had my GS, with no loss of functionality or enjoyment. Other people probably had their GSes in much worse areas than me, though. I personally, wouldn't take the MS, or my GS, over such extremes. The lightness of the MS over the top-heavy, tippy GS, and the bump-accomodating suspension on the MS seems to compensate for its small 17" front wheel and wider tires.

One more thing that I'd like to add is that after the trail section, which was all in first gear and lots of continuous clutch work on both bikes, my clutch hand was noticeably more sore on my GS due to its heavier clutch pull than the MS. So that will be another benefit of the MS in technical sections.
vroom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #1704
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom2
I test rode a new Multistrada 1200 and rode it in the Enduro setting for a while on a 2 foot wide gravel shoulder at 50km/h. It seemed about as good at it as my R1150GS (with stock tires) that I rode over the same places afterwards, but not quite as stable as an F800GS that rode over the same area. I would have gone faster, but in places the shoulder was only a foot wide, and had some overhanging tree branches, so I had to keep coming back up the 1-2" sharp rise to the paved road. Coming back up the rise, I had a bit more confidence with the MS1200 than my R1150GS (possibly because the GS had less road feel, and hence inspired less confidence), but not quite as much as the F800GS, with its carefree 21" front wheel.

With some intrepidation (prior to trying it), I also took the MS1200 on a short off-road single and two-track section that was dry, mostly hard-ish, but with some ruts left over from the last time it was wet and trucks went on it. No deep sand or anything. It was a low-speed area with lots of tight turns and negotiation between obstacles such as branches and some garbage. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was on the MS. I went over the same section afterwards with my R1150GS. Even with my unfamiliarity with the bike, the MS actually felt a bit easier to ride there because of it's much lighter weight.

Both of these tests satisfied my uncertainty whether the Multistrada will take me on dirt and gravel roads, fire roads, and, at low speeds, some light (no big rocks) trails or no maintenance roads. I like to do a lot of dirt road riding on my GS now, but I avoid anything with mud, since it doesn't have knobbies and mud feels like an oil slick. The same would go for the MS. Some tip-over protection would be nice for the MS though, since my GS can handle that with no damage.

So in summary, I feel that I will be able to take the MS wherever I have had my GS, with no loss of functionality or enjoyment. Other people probably had their GSes in much worse areas than me, though. I personally, wouldn't take the MS, or my GS, over such extremes. The lightness of the MS over the top-heavy, tippy GS, and the bump-accomodating suspension on the MS seems to compensate for its small 17" front wheel and wider tires.

One more thing that I'd like to add is that after the trail section, which was all in first gear and lots of continuous clutch work on both bikes, my clutch hand was noticeably more sore on my GS due to its heavier clutch pull than the MS. So that will be another benefit of the MS in technical sections.
Thanks for the writeup. Jeez, whoever thought we'd be reading about the light clutch pull on a Ducati. New World for sure.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #1705
krampus
get lost
 
krampus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Thanks for the writeup. Jeez, whoever thought we'd be reading about the light clutch pull on a Ducati. New World for sure.
To gain the light clutch lever feel, Ducati uses only three springs on the pressure plate instead of the usual six. As I understand it, to compensate for the fewer springs, the slipper-type clutch assembly actually ramps together tighter in the driven direction.
__________________
Harrison, A&S BMW , DUCATI & TRIUMPH

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #1706
John W
n00b
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 1
Hi guys,

thought I'd pop my head in here and say hello.
The following post from Kev Ash's forum were by me :)

The panniers (and top box) are indeed made by Givi, and they are generally very robust and well made.
The problem with the front of the case is that the rubber gasket does not meet the lip on the front of the outer cover. I have fixed this by adding a bit of draft excluder in the slot below the rubber gasket. Not ideal but at least I know it works, having sprayed them with a hose pipe !

This has been reported to Ducati, although I don't know what if anything they are doing about it. I suggest if anyone else experiences this that they report it to their dealer and ask them to fill in the necessary report to tell Ducati. If this isn't done the Ducati will no doubt remain blissfully unaware that the problem exists and think I'm just a picky customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic
Re the cases, this from a new owner:
Posted deep in this page on the lengthy Multi 12 discussion under way on the Kevin Ash site. Says the dealer is taking it up with the factory.
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #1707
Tama's Tigre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tama's Tigre's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 495
I have been in search for the replacement of my 06 Tiger. Not because I am dissatisfied with it, it's just that I have never owned a bike this long, and it's time to move on to new technology.

I have greatly anticipated the arrival of the 2010 Duc Multi, and I really thought this was going to be my next bike. Well, you know how some bikes photograph well, but are a let down in person, and visa versa. This bike is in the photogenic category. In the flesh, not a senorina bella. She just looked so cluttered, and plastic leading to nowhere, plastic and other assorted covers everywhere (I couldn't even see her beautiful motor), not the finish I was expecting, and that beak... instead of looking like a bird of prey, it looks like a stork.

Then for those long rides, you will want to replace that narrow windshield, upgrade to their cushier seat (the stock seat's cover doesn't even seat snugly against the foam), and purchase a GIVI topbox... all on top of $20k!

No doubt, the technogy and performance is there, but from Ducati (the sexiest motorscooters in the world), I expect a better package
Tama's Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #1708
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama's Tigre
I have been in search for the replacement of my 06 Tiger. Not because I am dissatisfied with it, it's just that I have never owned a bike this long, and it's time to move on to new technology.

I have greatly anticipated the arrival of the 2010 Duc Multi, and I really thought this was going to be my next bike. Well, you know how some bikes photograph well, but are a let down in person, and visa versa. This bike is in the photogenic category. In the flesh, not a senorina bella. She just looked so cluttered, and plastic leading to nowhere, plastic and other assorted covers everywhere (I couldn't even see her beautiful motor), not the finish I was expecting, and that beak... instead of looking like a bird of prey, it looks like a stork.

Then for those long rides, you will want to replace that narrow windshield, upgrade to their cushier seat (the stock seat's cover doesn't even seat snugly against the foam), and purchase a GIVI topbox... all on top of $20k!

No doubt, the technogy and performance is there, but from Ducati (the sexiest motorscooters in the world), I expect a better package

The next guy behind you in the lineup, will be glad to take your place.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1709
Tama's Tigre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tama's Tigre's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
The next guy behind you in the lineup, will be glad to take your place.

996DL
Oh, so, no constructive criticism, or descent allowed here? Make note ADV Riders... only dogmatic Ducati adorers allowed
Tama's Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #1710
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,118
You raise the bar too high. Surely you didn't expect the 1200MS, to match or exceed an 06 Tiger ?

996DL
Blatant and dogmatic Ducati booster since 1977...
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014