Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #1741
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Has anyone gone as far as getting quotes for dealer servicing before purchasing? I just know that I did NOT enjoy working on my older 4V Duc, though the 2V wasn't too bad. Just curious what the expected cost of a tuneup is.
Page 101-102 had quotes for service costs.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #1742
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Has anyone gone as far as getting quotes for dealer servicing before purchasing? I just know that I did NOT enjoy working on my older 4V Duc, though the 2V wasn't too bad. Just curious what the expected cost of a tuneup is.
I was quoted $1200-$1300 for the 15,000 mile service by a local high-end Indy shop - Boulder Motorsports.

That and several other things were what took me out of the market.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #1743
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Maintenance costs

I thought about the maintenance costs as well. I've pretty much completely maintained/rebuilt every two (and some four) wheeled vehicle I've owned, and somehow I've convinced myself that I should be able to handle it, even on the Multi 1200. That's not counting computer/electronic issues, of course, but I've also convinced myself that modern electronics are pretty darned reliable. We have research robots controlled by CANbus, and they've never missed a beat.

With the luxury of another motorcycle to ride, I figure I can take my time on the maintenance. The 1198 4V might require the odd special tool or three, but I'm determined to master it.

As you said; not as easy as the 2V, but...

--Doc

P.S. That's assuming that some service documentation will become available.
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #1744
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 448
Just stopped by the local shop for a look at the MS1200. Didn't ride it and didn't get any tech info. But, as I was standing there looking at it and as I sat on it, I just couldn't get my eyes off the hypermotard right next to it and the Speed Triple on the other side. Apples and Oranges; but it was telling to me that when I checked the passionometer, the other bikes were speaking to me loud and clear but I was trying really hard to like the MS1200 because I think it's a brilliant bike.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #1745
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Laugh Kalgoorlie WAus.Thankyou Doc. Jim.

Thanks Doc for a great reply. I think it's a great Bike! Congrats. Yes it has to be Red! Sorry the partner doesn't ride too. Still I'm sure there is good reason. Look all this about Ducati service costs? Yeah I was like that with my first 4v BMW. Then I found out its easy adjusting valves with 2 feeler gauges! Simple Ecu leave it alone. The only trouble I hear is when owners change Air/ fuel or exhaust. Stock they go forever. All the Best and if your ever in the outback I'll have a beer with you. Jim. ?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #1746
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quick Pikes Peak MTS1200 race bike track test video...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xry6HO00iYY

Article on the Pike Peaks bikes with a bit of detail on the spec...
Featured Bikes - Ducati Multistrada 1200 MTS1200 Motorcycles

....a beauty!

I collect my MTS1200 Sport this afternoon!..........at last!!!
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #1747
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

That feels better :)

...I have a bike in the garage again after 3 whole weeks without :shifty: The day arrived at last and I collected my 1200S Sport this afternoon!

Only had time to put 90 miles on her but it was such a releif to get back on an MTS1200 and find that the dim and distant memories of what a pleasure the bike was to ride on the the demo run were spot on

Termi carbon stubby and low seat picked up but panniers, rack and heated grips still to come. Unsure about the low seat, puts me where I want to be but there ain't much padding in it! I'd ridden the bike home with the stock seat and swapped to the low seat to go out again....felt like sitting on a plank of wood initially but I didn't get any discomfort so I'll reserve judgement until I've been able to do a decent long run on it. Hope it'll be alright as I like the lower riding position and getting my feet flat on the ground with ease.

Had the much discussed low rpm light/constant throttle surging/bad fuelling but tbh I'm sure that's more noticable with so few miles on the clock and so the motor being 'tight' - I expect the fuelling is is reprogrammed at the 600 mile service once the motor is broken in. No problems with gear changes so far just needs a good firm positive foot action, I'm sure that'll lighten up as the gearbox beds in.

Here she is...with a base model MTS fresh out the crate in the background

...and she's home at last :-)

I think I'm in love.....lets hope she behaves and it's a long relationship :pray:

www.mts1200.info

Multistrada 1200 Worldwide Owners Map
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #1748
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw
...and she's home at last :-)

Looks like you've got an optional tall windscreen fitted ? Interesting to see a standard model, in the hands of a dealer as well...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #1749
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
So, yesterday I was sitting on a Multistrada for a bit and here are some impressions. This is all stand still impression, haven't had a chance for a test ride.

Negatives:

- Windshield looks pretty small and the height adjustment seems to offer a selection from "hit me low in the face" to "hit me a bit higher in the face". Might still work, but doesn't look like it.

- The center stand - man, if I would give such a "design" up the management chain, I'd get it blown apart and would have to re-do it all over again, until it's usable.

- Is nobody here bothered by the cables going to the forks being squeezed pretty badly on full handle bar lock?

- How the hell did they get away with those cases in quality control? Oh, I forgot, Italian bike, not so much quality control.

Positives:

- Fits me like a glove. Perfect height, knee angle, handle bar width, peg position (just that center stand is annoying).

- Pretty okay position for a passenger, my wife liked it much better than a Concours 1400 that was also in the store.

- Clutch is easy to pull (Hypermotard 1100 completely sucks).

- First chain guard I have seen in a while that might actually prevent lube from flying towards the rest of the bike.

Overall:

I like optics, the pearl white looks actually pretty nice, I still prefer red though. The beak is ugly in my opinion. Nice bike, but I doubt it's worth the money for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #1750
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Andy: CONGRATULATIONS!!

My observation on "surging, etc."---I did not notice much at all on my 70-mile test ride in varying conditions. HOWEVER, I was riding between 5,000 and 9,000 feet elevation, where fueling is inherently richer. That may have compensated somewhat...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1751
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I've spend serveral hundred miles on the Multistrada 1200S both solo and two-up.
No dirt yet, but after owning 20 plus bikes and doing lots of riding (dirt, track and trips) I can say that this is a special bike.
My two criticisms: Rear spring is too soft, fueling needs a bit of smoothing out.
Fixable and all else is sublime!
Also, don't tell me a Multistrada is expensive compared to a GS12, it's not. A loaded GS12 is $23k (Shitty stock shocks and all).

wsmc99 screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 01:47 PM
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #1752
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
- The center stand - man, if I would give such a "design" up the management chain, I'd get it blown apart and would have to re-do it all over again, until it's usable.
The center stand actually is usable, it's very easy to get the bike up and down off the stand.

Yes, it interferes with the rider's left heel when riding on the balls of your feet. Which irritated me until I discovered that the bike's ergonomics make riding on the balls of your feet a little awkward and uncomfortable, using your arches is more natural....and then the centerstand isn't in the way.

Still, hard to argue the centerstand couldn't be designed to allow for range of foot position.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #1753
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Looks like you've got an optional tall windscreen fitted ? Interesting to see a standard model, in the hands of a dealer as well...
996DL
No that's the stock screen ;-) ...........suits me fine although a tinted replacement will be on the cards at some point
Yes there's a few non 'S' bikes around in the Uk now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
Andy: CONGRATULATIONS!!
My observation on "surging, etc."---I did not notice much at all on my 70-mile test ride in varying conditions. HOWEVER, I was riding between 5,000 and 9,000 feet elevation, where fueling is inherently richer. That may have compensated somewhat...
--Doc
Thanks....very happy chappy right now!
From what I've been reading fuelling is more of an issue for you guys in the States, different ECU mapping for emissions control plus emissions control hardware. I'm sure once the bike is run-in and had its first service this little 'niggle' will be less noticeable and sometime soon Ducati will roll out a software update.

www.mts1200.info
MTS1200 Resource Pages & Worldwide Owners Map
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #1754
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
"This is a special bike"...what he said! Up there draggin' his knee is my buddy TonyD (GP San Diego parts mgr), that let me get crazy on their demo MS last Sunday, on the best of San Diego's back roads. Holy F%*k what a rocking bike I loved it, and I've owned a 900SL, 916, and 996 (hard to believe the MS engine shares that lineage). My trusty KTM 950 may have to go
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #1755
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
ADV bike throw down

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=90646229001

Multi just keeps shining
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote