Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #1771
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Maybe the Yamaha Super Tenere if they bring it to the US. Sounds like we're getting it in Canada in Sep. Another bike that you can't buy but would probably fit your criteria is my Honda CBF. I ditched my 06 R1200RT as soon as I rode the CBF.

I love this thing. The Multi has my interest but just not sure if it would be THAT much better.
One thing: I would get the standard Multi with ABS but without the electronic suspension. I have seen too many issues with Italian vehicles to take my chances with that. Replacements / repair is plain too expensive. For the same reason I wouldn't get ESA with a BMW. I prefer less things on the bike that break at the wrong time.

Long time ago when I was still in Germany, I was a big Honda fan, their bikes were incredibly high quality, good to drive, smooth, real tools; today and in the US I would kick a Honda representative in the nuts if I could for the piss poor selection they have here.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #1772
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
I would have to agree with you. I've benn railroaded by forum posts into the surging thing on my bike. I would say that it does stumble below 3,200rpms and maybe there is an occasional surge here and there but nothing bad. My biggest problem is i'm used to lugging my GS and MM motors in the 2,500-3,500rpm range and the Duc motor just wants to run a bit higher. The dealer mechanic said they don't like to run much below 4,000rpms. I've adjusted my riding to keep the revs above 3,400 and the bike is a dream. The power on top is unbelievable and would have my Megamoto sucking Duc tail pipe fumes in any roll on type of situation. I guess thats the price you pay for not being able to lug it like an R1200 motor. A price, in my opinion worth every penny!!!!!!
I concur curvsurfer and fixin. As I've noted before, the engine and fueling isn't all that different from the Bologna Superbikes. When I read posts from new MTS12 owners about the FI uncertainty at 3000 RPMs, I cringe at the lugging, chugging, and lurching the engine is going through at those RPMs... and it isn't just with the MTS! Me thinks they are new to having these monster race bred engines between the knees. That's OK. Once it is recognized these bikes are born for, and thrive at life above 3800 RPMs (Egads, the rev limit isn't until 11,600), then one starts experiencing a Ducati riding zone few bikes can deliver or match.

Yes fixin, that low RPM manageability of the BMW flat twin, whether off road, or yanking you out of a corner in any gear without shudder or shake, is one of the underappreciated allures of that great engine. I like 'em both, and appreciate their differences.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #1773
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
So, now that the bike has been around for a little while, what kind of range and MPG's are you guys getting?

I have never been more tempted to dump 20K+ into the bike, I just cannot get it out of my mind.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #1774
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
42,42,44,40 and that is mostly 2up,and mostly at 7000' which takes a little more throttle.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #1775
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer
42,42,44,40 and that is mostly 2up,and mostly at 7000' which takes a little more throttle.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer, you appear to be a man of few words and even fewer posts, over your many years on this forum.

Now you wouldn't be holding out on us, in regards to having taken delivery of a MS1200 would you ?
This bike's entry into the marketplace, hasn't been just another minor blip on the motorcycling radar screen,
it's virtually an unwritten requirement that owners report in with the details...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #1776
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

I stand caught,996DL! I tend to post only when I have to. LOL. Yes the bike is all it is supposed to be. I have posted on MS, especially on the 3500 stumble, which I feel goes away after throughly warmed up. I am 6'4" and find the seat tight, but comfortable(it needs work!). The screen,both, are not enough, so Laminar Lip are trying to get someone in for testing. Power delivery and handling are superior to anything I've ridden.
My favorite bike of all time was a ST4, this takes it hands down. Wife loves rear seat,and it is bigger than GSA's. My GSA feels like a tour bus now, not that it didn't before, I just didn't realize it. What else to you want an opinion on? Oh, I'm trying to figure out how that guy only got 1700 miles on his rear tire??
Allen.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #1777
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer
I stand caught,996DL! I tend to post only when I have to. LOL. Yes the bike is all it is supposed to be. I have posted on MS, especially on the 3500 stumble, which I feel goes away after throughly warmed up. I am 6'4" and find the seat tight, but comfortable(it needs work!). The screen,both, are not enough, so Laminar Lip are trying to get someone in for testing. Power delivery and handling are superior to anything I've ridden.
My favorite bike of all time was a ST4, this takes it hands down. Wife loves rear seat,and it is bigger than GSA's. My GSA feels like a tour bus now, not that it didn't before, I just didn't realize it. What else to you want an opinion on? Oh, I'm trying to figure out how that guy only got 1700 miles on his rear tire??
Allen.

Call me intuitive if you'd like , but reporting four different mpg readings, means you either didn't come back from the test ride, or you're another of the lucky owners, of this game changing new Ducati... Congratulations !

While most experienced riders wisely avoid nightime journeys, it would be interesting to hear how well it's quad headlight system performs.

It's probably a little early in your ownership, but seeing as how you're riding double, have you had the chance yet to custom tailor your suspension settings, rather than selecting the preset modes ?

The 90' twin format should ensure relative smoothness, but vibration is so rarely mentioned in press reports, what are your impressions of the bars, tank, seat, mirrors and footpeg (perhaps rider and passenger pegs) vibration levels ?

And perhaps just some kind of description, of what it's like to experience the intoxicatingly potent output, of this 1198 sourced sport tourer. I've got a test ride booked in a week's time, but it'll be very restricted and accompanied by others etc...

Thanks for coming up to the plate, you certainly sound like you're enjoying yourself !

996DL
Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #1778
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Okay, this will be long!

No night riding yet.

No on custom settings, tho I plan some in the future, because I do like the suspension in Urban and Enduro, maybe more speed. Have step-up in spring sizes available, but not needed, YET. I use all the modes as preset, and change carry capacity from time to time. And I just love the fly-by-wire throttle, I truely wanted all this computerized tech. I find it exciting and extremely accurate.

Vibration is non existant for me. But you need to know my riding friends and I have for years (I own Elefants) argued why my nose itches on BMW's all the time, and not on Ducs. My KTM 950 S has always done the same. Maybe I have a Ducati nose!

Bars are perfect for me, and I just feel I fell onto them immediately in a total natural drop. Best I have ever felt. Mirrors, the same, first time I always can see behind me, and no real vibration isssue.

The seat is a pain, acually it is comfortable, but too tight for me. The rear seat which my wife says is the best, has 3-4" rise up above my seat, making it a lumbar support which is not desired. And the tank rise is in the front. It is a deep saddle drop and the tackiness of the material, all lead to non-movement. I want to raise the center and it should solve it?

On my demo ride, actually helping to break in the demo, I rode to the top of MT. Lemon Ski area 30+ miles out of Tucson (2400'-9000'+), I all of a sudden noticed I never used the brakes, just Ducati styling through all the corners. And even on the return, I rarely used them. I had to force myself to nail them once in awhile.

I always likened my ST4 to the air scooters in Star Wars, this IS one of those machines! It has a comfortable riding style, position, bar placement. It is not a dirt machine as a 950, only tires and maybe the wheels will limit that, but beat up plastic is no different than a BMW. You just bite the bullet and do it.

The other day a couple on his 950 and us following on the MTS, climbed out of the valley up 3000' in about 10 miles in sweepers. He was cranking and I was in 6th. I just took him out like he was sitting still, and dropping gears, he could not even come close. He kept dissapearing in my mirrors. He too rides and ST4S.

I ordered it in early January from a friend/dealer. I really needed to return to Ducati, just for the excitement, as I had been away for 5 years. On the demo ride the acceleration away from lights was unreal, never so fast, solid, and inspiring. Certianly an amazing bike for me. Maybe not for everyone. But I doubt it!
Allen.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #1779
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
One thing: I would get the standard Multi with ABS but without the electronic suspension. I have seen too many issues with Italian vehicles to take my chances with that. Replacements / repair is plain too expensive. For the same reason I wouldn't get ESA with a BMW. I prefer less things on the bike that break at the wrong time.

Long time ago when I was still in Germany, I was a big Honda fan, their bikes were incredibly high quality, good to drive, smooth, real tools; today and in the US I would kick a Honda representative in the nuts if I could for the piss poor selection they have here.
Not exactly, it's Ohlins Electronic Suspension and completely serviceable by any Ohlins service center unlike the BMW ESA. Also Ohlins is Swedish, so not exactly Italian. While I'm not personally a big fan of the BMW ESA, the Ducati DES/Ohlins is exceptional.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #1780
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Motorcycle buyers seem to be a bit like Windows users - they eat shit when they buy a new thing until they invested more hours and farkles than the bike is worth instead of telling the manufacturer to get it right or they won't buy.
Lots of small manufacturers have fueling issues: KTM, Guzzi, Ducati. And it's not just first-year bikes, the Streetfighter has never run right stock, and FI KTM streetbikes have had a couple of years of rough going. Some BMWs had surging issues. The 2nd gen Yamaha FZ1 fueling was a disaster.

Triumph does a nice job....

Yamaha had valves ticking on the FJR and heat-control issues. Honda VFRs fried regulators. BMWs have key-sensor and final-drive failures.

Do I wish the MTS12 ran perfectly? Sure. But it's really not that noticeable unless you're trying to reproduce it or are sensitized by internet-forum hysteria.

And I consider the context: no other bike in the sport-touring segment is as exciting, capable, useful and interesting to me. I would rather have all the benefits of this bike with a few minor glitches than an overweight Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki or a boring BMW.....and the minor (but different) glitches that each of those bikes have, too.

In the bigger picture, Ducati is the ONLY manufacturer to "get it right" and offer the bike I want: long suspension, upright comfort, sport-touring amenities, superbike-derived chassis/engine, cutting-edge electronics. Hitting those marks is far more important to me than a perfect fueling map.

I agree manufacturers could do better, but none of them are perfect and these things should be considered with perspective.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #1781
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer
FI KTM streetbikes have had a couple of years of rough going. Some BMWs had surging issues. The 2nd gen Yamaha FZ1 fueling was a disaster.

but correctable, my fazer was a pos until i spent a little time and money on it. Cost maybe a thosand or a bit more for very good fueling and 150 hp or so. With the duc though it's a little absurd to spend 20 k then another 3 to get it to run right. Most people could probably ride right through it and not care but i like my bikes to be crisp right from idle regardless of how much top end there is
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #1782
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
but correctable, my fazer was a pos until i spent a little time and money on it. Cost maybe a thosand or a bit more for very good fueling and 150 hp or so. With the duc though it's a little absurd to spend 20 k then another 3 to get it to run right. Most people could probably ride right through it and not care but i like my bikes to be crisp right from idle regardless of how much top end there is
I know you're aware we're awaiting feedback from owners, that have ordered pairs of Fat Duc O2 modifiers, that are running about $200, to mount onto their MS1200's... And not many of the bikes, have had a chance to receive the latest ECM download either, so you're jumping the gun on looking upon the full Termi/ECM option, as being essential.

996DL
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #1783
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
awaiting feedback from owners,
996DL
yes but on my multi i would not be able to resist the ecu tune and the beautiful sounding termis, ya gots to pay to play i suppose
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #1784
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Looks like this thing is pretty quick on pavement and dirt!?!

http://vimeo.com/12627930

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #1785
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
some would think $10k for an FZ1 and then another grand to run right is absurd.

(the base model MTS is $15k....a better comparison.)

who said the MTS will take $3k to correct? It's been out less than a month. it may take a free Ducati upgrade, it may take $200 worth of FatDuc parts, it may take a $3k exhaust and ECU, or there may never be a solution. but it already runs better than the stock FZ1.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote