Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1786
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
yes but on my multi i would not be able to resist the ecu tune and the beautiful sounding termis, ya gots to pay to play i suppose
too bad the termi isn't as pretty as it sounds.

the termi cans for the superbikes are gorgeous. we get a honkin' round metal cylinder.

i'm hoping a more sculpted carbon can becomes available as a full system. preferably from termi, if not, maybe arrow?
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #1787
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Did Test Ride Today

So, I was curious enough to do a test ride today. Came back with very mixed feelings about the bike. Coming from an F800GS there are some very obvious differences:

1) Power. Incredible power in Touring / Sport mode. Kind of lame and unexciting in Urban / Enduro. In Touring mode I'd have to get used to the roll-on power as it reacts very quick and accelerates like a kicked cat ... But as I don't care all too much for that kind of power, this is nothing important for me.

2) Rough. The engine feels rough, rattling, Ducati like. Vibrations are there but not annoying on the short test ride, might be different on a longer tour but I highly doubt this would be a problem even on long days. Nevertheless the engine is everything but smooth compared to the F800GS or V-Strom 650 or Tiger 1050.

3) The fueling at low rpm (< 4000) is the worst I have ever experienced in my life. It's so bad I can't believe it. Touring / Sport mode is unusable in that rpm range, Urban made it kind of usable above ~3300 but not even close to being good. This is incredibly bad for a $20k bike. The problem is that the bikes characteristics and my riding habits clash significantly here. Again, I admit here, this is highly personal and relates to my riding style and my preferred roads (the tighter and smaller the better).

Some other observations:

The seat to peg distance is nice and relaxed but the bike forces me into pretty much one single position as I can't slide back because of the passenger seat being in the way, I can't position my left foot properly, hit the center stand from all kinds of weird angles and just plain had to stay in one position. This position fits me very well, so it wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't be able to do a longer ride as there is not enough change possible to relax a little bit with shifting positions. I'm 6' with a bit over 34" inseam and while the position feels relaxed and open for a short while, as soon as I started to move around I hit something in every single direction I tried ...

Wind management is a tiny fraction better than on the F800GS with stock windshield. Less buffeting, about the same noise level. I haven't played with shield height, it was in medium position with the standard shield which might have been sub-optimal for me.

Suspension is pretty firm, even in Urban and Touring mode, admitted I'm light (152lbs this morning). The bike feels very nimble while still staying very stable in turns. That is about the most positive difference to the F800GS that feels squirrely in the same turns at comparable speed (did the same route on my own F800GS after the test ride, to be able to compare better).

Overall it was a pretty big disappointment. If the fueling is something that can be corrected, dealers should think about doing this right away without demoing the bike in the uncorrected state. Part of my usage is commute where I have to ride a steady 30mph for most of the way, which is very annoying on the Multistrada. It's certainly an incredibly capable bike going fast, but it's equally incapable going slow. And that's just not what I can bear with on a day to day basis.

For me, this demo was a good way of finding out how not to spend money ... I was very happy when I got back on my F800GS and thought that this is a much better bike for me. It's a good result for a test ride as it doesn't leave you with a desire for change. Completely different from my test ride on the Tiger 1050 where I wanted to trade in my F right away ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #1788
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,470
Thank you for posting your opinion. I was really interested in how the Multi compares to F800GS.

I suspect the fueling issue could be easily sorted out with ECU reflash. It runs poorly in stock form to meet strict emission standards.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Overall it was a pretty big disappointment. If the fueling is something that can be corrected, dealers should think about doing this right away without demoing the bike in the uncorrected state. Part of my usage is commute where I have to ride a steady 30mph for most of the way, which is very annoying on the Multistrada. It's certainly an incredibly capable bike going fast, but it's equally incapable going slow. And that's just not what I can bear with on a day to day basis.

For me, this demo was a good way of finding out how not to spend money ... I was very happy when I got back on my F800GS and thought that this is a much better bike for me. It's a good result for a test ride as it doesn't leave you with a desire for change. Completely different from my test ride on the Tiger 1050 where I wanted to trade in my F right away ...

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1789
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
Thank you for posting your opinion. I was really interested in how the Multi compares to F800GS.

I suspect the fueling issue could be easily sorted out with ECU reflash. It runs poorly in stock form to meet strict emission standards.

D.
I tested one in San Diego and Las Vegas and could not find anything to complain about. I bought one that should be here this week. A month late. Tried to complain about that and I was informed that the waiting list is a minimum of 2 months. There is not a lot of them coming into the states. 500 for this model year?
This bike is not a swiss army knife bike! Its not an off road bike! If I could own just one bike this would not be it. It is so unique that it is in a class by itself. All of my other bikes with including my GSA-1200 required some tweaking. No big deal!
This baby is one bad ass bike, and there is not another sit-up bike out there that can touch-it. I'll report back after delivery.
Cheers
Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #1790
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,006
I tested the bike and fueling was perfect, no problem at all in any mode. On side note I have to tell that I tested bike from Fast By Ferracci and due to nature of the shop they may just tuned bike to run properly.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #1791
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,559
Saw my first one here in Greece last Friday, Italian plates. Luckily I had my camera hung around my neck.

The bike looks better on the road than in the pics. I would like to test ride one, but I could not bring myself to buying one...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #1792
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts
I would like to test ride one, but I could not bring myself to buying one...
I would buy one ... but I don't have money for that

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #1793
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
It is much more powerful and for my personal taste much more annoying.

Comparing the two, I try to give some impression:

- much more power in Touring / Sport more; probably more but not as noticeably in Urban / Enduro mode

- much firmer but more sensible suspension; it really is very, very stable going through corners; nevertheless, suspension wise I didn't find it particularly comfortable even in Touring mode

- easier to steer, follows the direction much better

- really a lot harder to ride in close quarters, like turning in a small parking lot; much less confidence expiring at really slow speeds - if you think the F800GS has a jerky throttle, don't even think about the Multi

- a lot less comfortable for longer rides for me as I can't change positions

- a lot of vibrations that feel good when you are pushing it but are really annoying around town

- much louder, rattling, different feel

- better brakes, but I can easily live with the ABS set up on my F

- much better tires for street use, especially the front

- wind protection about as bad as the F800GS

- seems to have a bit better passenger comfort (according to my wife, just from sitting on it in the show room)

- Ducati must be the one and only manufacturer that figured out how to build a chain guard ...

- I don't like the digital cockpit, it's harder to read with a quick glance than analog instruments, though it's still one of the best digital setup I've seen so far

- switching modes is really easy

- Why the heck have keyless riding when you still need to take out the key for getting in the tank? How stupid is that on a $20k bike to safe a few bucks for that extra?

Overall, for me it's absolutely not the bike. I like the F800GS much better for what I do - and by a really big margin. And I could spend the money if I wanted to. But I really don't want to.

To put it that way: it has lots and lots of good things I absolutely don't care for, and it completely sucks, is not well thought through and annoying in the areas I do care for. But that is my very personal opinion. I'd enjoy it for a blast in the Santa Cruz mountains and than would happily return it and ride home on my GS without any regret. Like an unbelievably fun night with a beautiful celebrity you'd never marry as you couldn't stand her even the next morning - that's why you left during the night when she was sleeping.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #1794
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Overall, for me it's absolutely not the bike. I like the F800GS much better for what I do - and by a really big margin. And I could spend the money if I wanted to. But I really don't want to.

To put it that way: it has lots and lots of good things I absolutely don't care for, and it completely sucks, is not well thought through and annoying in the areas I do care for. But that is my very personal opinion.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #1795
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
No disrespect...but overall your in the wrong forum as well then.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #1796
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS-MotoRider
No disrespect...but overall your in the wrong forum as well then.
Nope, I'm following a thread that interested me until I rode the bike.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1797
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
put it that way: it has lots and lots of good things I absolutely don't care for, and it completely sucks, is not well thought through and annoying in the areas I do care for. But that is my very personal opinion. I'd enjoy it for a blast in the Santa Cruz mountains and than would happily return it and ride home on my GS without any regret. Like an unbelievably fun night with a beautiful celebrity you'd never marry as you couldn't stand her even the next morning - that's why you left during the night when she was sleeping.
To say it sucks is a bit overboard and uncalled for. If you have some criticism thats ok, but bashing a bike for no reason is a no, no. Just a little friendly advice to head back to the Parallel twin board before you really start to piss people off and get a bad rap around here. Calling Gadget Boy to the forum for an inmate spanking.!!!!!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #1798
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
As long as we keep it civil.. we can keep talking.

I too test rode the MTS12 and walked away with mixed feelings. I wanted to go for another longer test ride to see if I warm up to it, but when I finally was able to obtain an insurance quote, $2500 to $4900 a year because "it's a supersport".. Ultimately, the bike did not seem to suit my needs, I found the fueling and the transmission not to my liking but did not feel a need to harp on it. The insurance is a deal breaker regardless.. I'd be riding a bicycle before paying those rip off rates.

Stating negative views on a bike owned and loved by others is always going to want to ignite a pissing match. For the admirers, keep the love flowing... No matter how good the bike is, not everyone is going to like it.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #1799
flytier
Refusing to grow up

Oddometer: 87
Beemers

No one is as insecure as the Beemer crowd, you should see how they love to sneek into Orange Crush. I would love to demo this bike if I could and wouldn't be afraid to talk about it's strong points. That in no way would diminish my love for my KTM 990 Adv.........
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #1800
testa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
to each their own. i love the bike and sold my 990 adv to get one. i loved the adv, but to me there is something special about ducs. some people feel it and some don't.
testa is offline   Reply With Quote