Originally Posted by bikeworm
OK
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #1832
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,125
He is not alone, though:

It is nice that the MilleDue goes to such houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts
MTS1200, GSA1200 and KTM950adv, that's just rubbing it in, fuck off...

Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #1833
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
He is not alone, though:
I meant to start with you but then that guy showed up with an extra KTM950...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #1834
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
I meant to start with you but then that guy showed up with an extra KTM950...
It is not me, though. I'm envious of these setups just like every other guy here.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #1835
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
It is not me, though. I'm envious of these setups just like every other guy here.
OK, just to clarify, I mean KR8NKAOS and bikeworm, those fuckers... The rest of you are good, warm-hearted people who I love...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #1836
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,451
Agreed, they are bastards

D.

Quote:
OK, just to clarify, I mean KR8NKAOS and bikeworm, those fuckers... The rest of you are good, warm-hearted people who I love...

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #1837
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

In case someone missed it: yes they are bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac

D.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #1838
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Multistrada wins Pikes Peak climb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
Looks like this thing is pretty quick on pavement and dirt!?!

http://vimeo.com/12627930
And he went on to win it (there were only four competitors in that class).

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Wins Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Jun 28, 2010, ©Copyright 2010, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
From a press release issued by Ducati North America:

Alexander Smith (55) leads Greg Tracy (555) at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200 S takes first and third positions in its maiden off road competition

Pikes Peak, CO (28 June 2010) – Ducati North America is excited to announce its first and third place finishes in the 88th annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, held yesterday in the mountains above Colorado Springs, Colorado.

In its very first international competition, the Multistrada 1200 S took top honors in the 1200cc class in the hands of Pikes Peak Veteran Greg Tracy. The Multistrada took a massive lead off the starting line, and rode into clouds to take the top podium position at 14,110 feet. Tracy ran a smooth, uneventful race which demonstrated the exceptional on and off road capabilities of Ducati’s latest offering.

“That was an exciting week I’ve got to say. I want to thank Ducati for the opportunity they’ve given me- I was even pitted in front of Rhys Millen’s Unlimited Class ride- that was pretty cool! The Spider Grips Falkner-Livingston Multistrada was an amazing ride. Everyone did an awesome job and that motorcycle is crazy fast- it hit 137mph at one point! The bike worked great on the dirt and the asphalt,” said Tracy in the post race award ceremony. “When I was growing up, and all these factory teams would win races, I was sure they had these $100,000 engines and that was why they went so fast. I was wrong. This is my first year on a factory motorcycle and I’ll tell you that bike was box-stock. It had some carbon, and few tweaks and that was it.”

Greg’s teammate Alexander Smith also put in a formidable performance, ensuring the second Ducati entry made the podium. Alexander fought his way up the mountain, and while battling for second had an accident in the last corner, which slowed him down but still allowed time to remount and finish third.

“I have to repeat everything Greg said about the bike- it was really perfect. The race was good, and if you see the start line footage you can tell how awesome the bike was working,” said Smith. “It was a pretty uneventful race up until the last corner where I kind of laid it down. I got off real quick and remounted which was still good enough for third and got two Ducati’s on the podium.”

For more information about Ducati’s win in the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, please visit www.ducatiusa.com.

Lion BR screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 06:25 AM
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #1839
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
And he went on to win it (there were only four competitors in that class).
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Wins Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
They fail to mention he was the second quickest bike, only one 750 class bike was faster, his brother Gary on a 660 TM.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #1840
KR8NKAOS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac

D.
Hate the game, not the player

Farkle update
PHP Code:
[QUOTE][QUOTE][/QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Cheers

You should not chose your friends just on
how they treat you, but how they treat
others as well. This shows what kind of
person they really are.

The pain of change remains the same until the pain of remaining the same exceeds the pain of change.

KR8NKAOS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #1841
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
sat on one, mixed feelings, questions

I've eye balling this sexy Italian babe since the online release last fall, love the looks and specs. Sat on one (S model with bags- so does that make it a T?) at a dealer today, its a great feel and fit for me ( 5'6"). Seat is super comfy. The bags were dissapointing- light, flimsy but maybe time will show they are durable. The centre stand is crazy big but the little handle by the passenger left peg is a neat idea. The mirrors showed alot of my shoulders

What is the little plastic dohicky by the steering stem- a steering angle sensor for the computer?

I hope to get a ride this week

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
canadianstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #1842
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
I've eye balling this sexy Italian babe since the online release last fall, love the looks and specs. Sat on one (S model with bags- so does that make it a T?) at a dealer today, its a great feel and fit for me ( 5'6"). Seat is super comfy. The bags were dissapointing- light, flimsy but maybe time will show they are durable. The centre stand is crazy big but the little handle by the passenger left peg is a neat idea. The mirrors showed alot of my shoulders

What is the little plastic dohicky by the steering stem- a steering angle sensor for the computer?

I hope to get a ride this week
It covers the Key ignition bypass should the computer / keyless start hang up. The bags are not your Touratech furniture. I got the top case for the wife as a fat sissy bar with storage, It comes off when she not on the bike.
I'm 6'-3" and the bike is tight fit. Good thing as you don't get arm pump hanging on! It is one fast ride.
The bike draws a crowd when you park it. Got to get use to listening to everybody else's Ducati stories! All good stuff. The bike is a treat.
I'm busy this weekend working on getting the 600 mile service light to come on! Highway 12 So. Utah. It doesn't get much better than this!
Cheers
Old 07-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #1843
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR8NKAOS
Hate the game, not the player

Farkle update

Cheers
Its tough being a bastard! But someone got to do it.
I have a friend that has a new MTS that looks just like yours right now. He has not taken delivery until the dealer gets done with individual-ization! All shinny or silver parts going flat black, copying the Pikes' Peak bikes. It will be unique!
I'm interested in where your going with your mod's.
Ciao
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #1844
jarelj
Ductastic

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
If you're talking about the black plastic "arms" that stick out on along the steering head right under the top triple clamp, those are the steering lock sensors for the electronic steering lock.
"2009 Best Exclusive Ducati Dealer in North America!"
jarelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #1845
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,807
I had a couple hours spare this afternoon so I went over to my local Ducati/HD dealer 'Riders' (Bridgwater) to have a test ride on the Ducati Multistrada 1200.

I rode my Uly (08) over to Riders across the 'levels' enjoying the twisties thru weston zoyland and the warm sunny day. The Uly is going fine. With ear plugs in the wind noise and high pitch sounds are removed the 'stealth' can sounded wonderful. The Uly is not slow but its not very fast either, by modern standards, plenty enough for 95% of the time, but sometimes a bit more poke would be nice - hence the interest in the MS - that and the demise of Buell has made me consider what brand to try next. I have tried KTM's, Trumpets, Honda CBR1 among others but none have made me want to speak to the bank manager.

Got to 'Riders', and spied the test MS outside the front door - next to HD1200XR, went inside checked the bikes - half a dozen Buells - 1125R, XBR, Uly's, acres of Harleys & a big dollop of Dukes. I did the paper work with Simon the affable sales bod (£1K damages ! allowance if I drop it !) & met the test rider who was going to accompany me. I know him from 1125R and 1200XR test rides - good bloke tells it like it is & enjoys his job.

Sat on the MS - the full Monty sport version in red - very comfortable & extremely ergonomically sorted. Lower than my Uly. I'm 5'9" & it felt perfect for me. But once on it you are wedged in - the lack of rearward arse movement due to the raised seperate rear seat was not as good, not as good as the Uly. You are planted in the MS, not much movement possible. On the uly you can shift your weight to suit what you are doing.

Engined started - Keyless ignition - in touring mode (all controlled by the indicator switch). Off we went - very tractible and easy to handle at slow speed. Engine was quiet and has the Ducati 'rattle' but a healthy sound. Gear box was very smooth - noticably better than the Uly, even though the test rider said it would get better after more miles. Very easy to ride. The test MS I was on had only done 2500 miles; rear tyre half worn. Pulled away in touring mode & straight away realised the bike was very fast, & smooth & sophisticated - mulch like the KTMs & CBR, but more - no surprises there really. It felt a bit gay after a Buell but thats to be expected as Buells are 'organic'. We went thru the edge of town & out down country back roads, ones I didn't know. The accompanying rider was on a little Ducati monster - 696 ? - well when he opened it up, and I the same the MS just flew and frankly was so much faster than the monster that it was too easy keeping up, the MS didn't even get outa breath

The MS is seriously faster than the Uly; 1125 territory. That extra 60 bhp or so makes a lot of difference. From 50 mph roll on the Uly might keep up for the first 100 yards but after that, its game over. The MS pulls like the Uly but doesn't runout of puff. In the hands of an expert the MS would be ballistic. The MS felt lighter and easy to chuck about than any 1125 too.
I played with the modes and after a minute got the idea and could toggle between them all and suspension setting for rider. The sport & touring mode are super quick. I didn't get a chance to really get to know the bike on this 30 minute ride, but really could tell the difference between the modes. 'Enduro' felt like the Uly. 'Urban' felt flat and easy going. The 'sport' & 'touring' modes bring on an evil grin; I didn't actually laff out loud (I did on a RC8) or go BUHAHAHAHA, but it was close - it was an accompanied ride

Handling: very planted, very solid, very good; more like a road bike than the Uly. Couldn't fault it. Better than the Uly. Perfect on the road. Didn't get to know off-road but I suspect Ducati have managed to get it right.
Brakes: not a good as I expected. As good as the Uly but not a lot better. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Back brake was weaker than I like on a road bike. Front - as good as the Uly. Probably had ABS so was different to what I am used to. The Honda CBR1 had noticeably better (ABS) brakes than the Buell.

Fuelling: didn't feel like there was any problem. Didn't lug it below 3K, it is happiest above 3000 rpm anyway. The Buell is exceptionally low revving so its not a fair comparison. The MS was kinda like a KTM. Not as smooth as a CBR1 - as one would expect from a performance V twin.

Conclusion: fantastic machine; probably the best motorbike I have ever ridden. I will have one - one day; but the cost is too high for me right now - about £15K for the top of the range & £10K for the budget one. Apparently selling like hot-cakes & Ducati can't make enough and I'm not surprised.
The Uly still has a lot going for it and I wouldn't trade it in for a MS. But when I win the lottery.........I will have both .... BUHAHAHAHAHA ;)
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote