ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #1921
xl1200r
Adventurer
 
xl1200r's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: North Greenbush, NY
Oddometer: 74
I need to test ride one of these - this is the first bike in a long time I've lusted over...
__________________
I think I'll do the Pacific Northwest next time.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #1922
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher
 
scooteraug02's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 4,246
If you feel the engine is lugging don't you normally just shift down a gear.

That's what I did. I thought it was a great machine all around. I want one.
__________________
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #1923
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer
 
fixinbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
I have a question to MTS 1200 owners (I prefer to call it like the Italians do "MilleDue" which means "Thousand Two"):

I test rode one recently and felt it was an awesome bike. I want one. But I was unsure of one thing: was I lugging the engine at below 5K rpm? I had a feeling that I should keep the revs up for the engine to be in the sweet spot. Is that a wrong impression? The engine sounded better and had more responsiveness to input at above 5K rpm. At that RPM level and above, the impression I had is that the bike came into its sweet spot both on how I felt the engine sounding, and how it moved.

I tested the bike on Urban and Touring modes. I stayed on urban mode just for a mile or two and the engine did not seem to be completely round, and soon moved it to Touring. On Touring, it was alive and sounded happy and round at 5K rpm or above. It really sounded GREAT at those higher RPMs. Impressive. Addictive.

I ask this because although I really love the thrill of riding at those levels of engine output (above 5Krpm), and I know if I had this bike I would push it there on many occasions, I know I can't "live" there all the time. I'm sure I will have to settle for a large proportion of miles of more subdued riding. That is, I will be riding this bike in many situations that will require slower speeds, either because of traffic or for preserving my riders permit (and insurance), or simply for safety when conditions so require.

Much appreciate any info I can get. This is a serious question and I'm looking at unbiased opinions, if that is possible, of course.

Thanks guys!
You are spot on with your comments. Below 4k the bike tends to surge and there is a roughness that is not pleasant. There is a 50plus page thread on this problem at Ducati.ms. I experienced it and after the 600mile service and some adjustments as recommended by Ducati Tech the issue is much improved. I also am having the Termi full system installed and this has been reported to eliminate the issue completely with its new off road race ECU.
__________________
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #1924
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
You are spot on with your comments. Below 4k the bike tends to surge and there is a roughness that is not pleasant. There is a 50plus page thread on this problem at Ducati.ms. I experienced it and after the 600mile service and some adjustments as recommended by Ducati Tech the issue is much improved. I also am having the Termi full system installed and this has been reported to eliminate the issue completely with its new off road race ECU.
Thank you for your comment and for the information - Now I remember I had heard something about this elsewhere. I will check the Ducati.ms.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #1925
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
If you feel the engine is lugging don't you normally just shift down a gear.

That's what I did. I thought it was a great machine all around. I want one.
I do, but it annoys me if I have to run high revs because of that. It's not that I can't ride it, just not my style. I love to push it sometimes, but I also like to cruise around at low rev very often ... Or annoy the sport bike crowd in the tight twisties while still not going above 4 or 5k ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #1926
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
You are spot on with your comments. Below 4k the bike tends to surge and there is a roughness that is not pleasant. There is a 50plus page thread on this problem at Ducati.ms. I experienced it and after the 600mile service and some adjustments as recommended by Ducati Tech the issue is much improved. I also am having the Termi full system installed and this has been reported to eliminate the issue completely with its new off road race ECU.
Again, very good information. It looks like Ducati is addressing the issue and a solution (or something that will reduce the problem) is going to be tested this Tuesday.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #1927
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
You are spot on with your comments. Below 4k the bike tends to surge and there is a roughness that is not pleasant. There is a 50plus page thread on this problem at Ducati.ms. I experienced it and after the 600mile service and some adjustments as recommended by Ducati Tech the issue is much improved. I also am having the Termi full system installed and this has been reported to eliminate the issue completely with its new off road race ECU.
You should be interested on this post from a guy who got a test ECU that seems to have fixed his issue. This was posted today on a forum other than the Ducati.ms:

Chaps...and any girls...or any......nooo! dont go there!

I said I would post back after my MTS had been to the shop for an attempted surging fix, so here it is.

The Ducati man (not the dealer) had programmed up a spare ECU and left it on site to swap mine out as he couldn't time his visit with mine.

ECU's were exchanged and I'm really happy to report that the issue has all but dissapeared! There is some 'snatchiness' in sport and touring modes, more sport mode really, but it is cope-with-able and I may need to adjust my chain - it's quite short at the moment . The drive home of about an hour has transformed my life....no really.... This is the first time since ownership that I haven't had to nurse the bike at a roundabout! The bike will now do 45 in 6th and pull away without any real drama's - obvious associated vibrations though. I can cruise at 60 in 6th - first time for that too. Pulling off in second - no drama. Wheelies...I am a god...actually just joking there, getting a little euphoric.

Anyway, thats the good news - there IS now a fix and it's coming soon to a cinema near you!

The bad news - you will inevitably hate me now, and this is quite distressing

The real bad news is that this is not the 'official' release of the fix, just a trial on a known bad bike. It clearly works. This was not a racing ECU replacement, as has been done before with only limited success. The software upgrade will arrive after Ducati have finished working on it - ie. it is not yet finished. That must mean when it is released it will only be better, so worth the short wait.

I asked the technician, who has been a fantastic support, when the update will be available and he believes it will be sooner rather than later, but it is NOT out yet. Interestingly, although I had the 600 mile service only a few weeks ago, there were some updates loaded today - display and others (sorry didn't probe much).


This is all good news, especially for me! Don't bother coming round, the ECU lives under my pillow, I have sniper sights on my rifle and a wife that bites! (There...I've thrown up a ball...someone hit it!)
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #1928
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 837
Didn't see this mentioned here.... some recalls on the MS1200

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/three...200-89851.html
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #1929
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,393
Good news!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
You should be interested on this post from a guy who got a test ECU that seems to have fixed his issue. This was posted today on a forum other than the Ducati.ms:

Chaps...and any girls...or any......nooo! dont go there!

I said I would post back after my MTS had been to the shop for an attempted surging fix, so here it is.

The Ducati man (not the dealer) had programmed up a spare ECU and left it on site to swap mine out as he couldn't time his visit with mine.

ECU's were exchanged and I'm really happy to report that the issue has all but dissapeared! There is some 'snatchiness' in sport and touring modes, more sport mode really, but it is cope-with-able and I may need to adjust my chain - it's quite short at the moment . The drive home of about an hour has transformed my life....no really.... This is the first time since ownership that I haven't had to nurse the bike at a roundabout! The bike will now do 45 in 6th and pull away without any real drama's - obvious associated vibrations though. I can cruise at 60 in 6th - first time for that too. Pulling off in second - no drama. Wheelies...I am a god...actually just joking there, getting a little euphoric.

Anyway, thats the good news - there IS now a fix and it's coming soon to a cinema near you!

The bad news - you will inevitably hate me now, and this is quite distressing

The real bad news is that this is not the 'official' release of the fix, just a trial on a known bad bike. It clearly works. This was not a racing ECU replacement, as has been done before with only limited success. The software upgrade will arrive after Ducati have finished working on it - ie. it is not yet finished. That must mean when it is released it will only be better, so worth the short wait.

I asked the technician, who has been a fantastic support, when the update will be available and he believes it will be sooner rather than later, but it is NOT out yet. Interestingly, although I had the 600 mile service only a few weeks ago, there were some updates loaded today - display and others (sorry didn't probe much).


This is all good news, especially for me! Don't bother coming round, the ECU lives under my pillow, I have sniper sights on my rifle and a wife that bites! (There...I've thrown up a ball...someone hit it!)
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #1930
Strada
Tally Ho!
 
Strada's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Oddometer: 411
Wanted a bit more RED

__________________
Farkle Bringer!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #1931
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
If you feel the engine is lugging don't you normally just shift down a gear.

That's what I did. I thought it was a great machine all around. I want one.
I'll gladly help make that a reality
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #1932
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer
 
fixinbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Oddometer: 2,012
Full Termi system cures surging/hesitation/stumbling problem

After my 600 mile service and adjustments by the dealer the surging/hesitation/stumbling problem improved a bit but not dramatically and was still a nuisance at low rpms. I am happy to report that I just had Full Termi exhaust installed and it has eliminated the surging/hesitation/stumbling at low rpms. The bike pulls from 2500rpms as smooth as my BMW Megamoto. I was afraid of the full system being too loud which is why I went with the slip-on to begin initially. With the db killer in the full system sounds unbelievable, its not too loud, and it pulls like a freight train!!!!! Its just a shame that after spending $20k on a bike you have to go out a spend another $2,500 on an exhaust to make it run right!!!!
__________________
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #1933
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
With the db killer in the full system sounds unbelievable, its not too loud, and it pulls like a freight train!!!!! Its just a shame that after spending $20k on a bike you have to go out a spend another $2,500 on an exhaust to make it run right!!!!
nice... i liked the bike, the handling was great but the low rpm thing was annoying. If i hit lotto i'm getting a base model with the ecu and full system
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #1934
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Sin City, USA
Oddometer: 173
not to loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
After my 600 mile service and adjustments by the dealer the surging/hesitation/stumbling problem improved a bit but not dramatically and was still a nuisance at low rpms. I am happy to report that I just had Full Termi exhaust installed and it has eliminated the surging/hesitation/stumbling at low rpms. The bike pulls from 2500rpms as smooth as my BMW Megamoto. I was afraid of the full system being too loud which is why I went with the slip-on to begin initially. With the db killer in the full system sounds unbelievable, its not too loud, and it pulls like a freight train!!!!! Its just a shame that after spending $20k on a bike you have to go out a spend another $2,500 on an exhaust to make it run right!!!!
I have been contemplating getting the termi exhaust, but feared it would be to loud as well. The slip-on was disappointing as it's about the same sound as stock. My bike runs fine as I haven't experienced surging etc problems. I would like to enjoy more Duc notes though! Does the new exhaust eliminate the cat-box? Mine tends to keep my right foot warm!
__________________
If you're not the lead dog the view is always the same!
bikeworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #1935
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer
 
fixinbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeworm
I have been contemplating getting the termi exhaust, but feared it would be to loud as well. The slip-on was disappointing as it's about the same sound as stock. My bike runs fine as I haven't experienced surging etc problems. I would like to enjoy more Duc notes though! Does the new exhaust eliminate the cat-box? Mine tends to keep my right foot warm!
I was really happy with the sound of the stock bike but hated the looks of the twin pipe OEM can. Thats why I went with the slip-on to improve the looks of the bike. The full Termi does eliminate that heinous cat box, saves a lot of weight, and does not get as hot due to the Ti construction. It also comes with a new ECU and air filter which likely is the reason it has gotten rid of the poor low rpm fueling of the bike. With the db killer in its definitely louder but not in an obnoxious way. Its those Ducati tunes being uncorked!!!!!
__________________
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014