Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #1936
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
I was really happy with the sound of the stock bike but hated the looks of the twin pipe OEM can. Thats why I went with the slip-on to improve the looks of the bike. The full Termi does eliminate that heinous cat box, saves a lot of weight, and does not get as hot due to the Ti construction. It also comes with a new ECU and air filter which likely is the reason it has gotten rid of the poor low rpm fueling of the bike. With the db killer in its definitely louder but not in an obnoxious way. Its those Ducati tunes being uncorked!!!!!
I thank you and my dealer thanks you!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #1937
jcwalsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Mts

I have to say that I almost feel like a traitor. I have been lusting over a GSA for the last 3 months and had cash in hand to buy a 2010 last weekend. This forum has been a huge help in teaching me about the bike. I took my wife to look at the GSA (Which she dislikes immensely) before pulling the trigger. She asked if I had at least considered any other motorcycles if I was going to spend this kind of money. I brought her to the Ducati dealership just to show her that there was nothing similar( I had seen the 1200MTS at a dealership when looking at another GSA in OKC, but did not give it a good look). This was the first time I sat on the bike and really felt how I fit on it. Well the story is on pause from that point. They are getting a new demo bike in this week and I am first on the list. I will let you know how things turn out, but for now the GSA purchase is on hold.

Jeff
jcwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #1938
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalsh
This was the first time I sat on the bike and really felt how I fit on it.
It was the same for me. The bike fitted me like an old and loved glove. The problem for me was that I couldn't move around even a bit. It was a "there or nowhere" fit. Also the test ride gave me some unexpected insights.

Bought an R1200GS about a month ago. No GSA - I don't like the looks, though my wife does. But she likes the GS, too.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #1939
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
To be or not to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalsh
I have to say that I almost feel like a traitor. I have been lusting over a GSA for the last 3 months and had cash in hand to buy a 2010 last weekend. This forum has been a huge help in teaching me about the bike. I took my wife to look at the GSA (Which she dislikes immensely) before pulling the trigger. She asked if I had at least considered any other motorcycles if I was going to spend this kind of money. I brought her to the Ducati dealership just to show her that there was nothing similar( I had seen the 1200MTS at a dealership when looking at another GSA in OKC, but did not give it a good look). This was the first time I sat on the bike and really felt how I fit on it. Well the story is on pause from that point. They are getting a new demo bike in this week and I am first on the list. I will let you know how things turn out, but for now the GSA purchase is on hold.

Jeff
I have a 08 GSA and love the bike. I have a 04 950, love it to. The 950 is the best off-road big bike period. It's built to take hits, but two up or a long slab rides it can get uncomfortable. The GSA is is real comfortable, but I won't take it where I have been on the 950 off-road, so I pick my battles when possible, but it is certainly a proven off roader that I have no problem getting dirty.
The MS1200. It's neither the GSA or LC8, it is to vulnerable. The water pump hangs off the engine waiting to get nailed! If the bike falls and hits the left end of the handle bar, you could loose the clutch, mirror perch and turn signal all-in-one tip! Not the best dirt bike! But the wow factor, from performance to looks makes it a favorite of mine. It what the other two bikes aren't. The more I drive the MS the more I like it. I don't know if it would be my first choice because I do go off-road and I would not take the MS in the dirt unless I had to.
These are good problems!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #1940
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I just got back from N Ga and the Deals Gap area breaking in my Multistrada
Here's a comparison from someone who has/had both
Unlike some trolls posting here justifying their rides

I've ridden these same roads for years on a 1200gs (which I traded)
I liked my GS, comfortable 2 up, stable, reliable for me
What drove me away was it was slow, always getting stuck or falling over offroad where I was bringing it
Granted, I should have been on my KLR on those trips but hey it's supposed to be a "Round the world" kinda bike?
Anyway the grass looked greener so I jumped ship

For me, The Ducati makes my heart flutter like the Italian Redhead she is

The GS was........ efficient, very good at what its mission was
But alas a little boring
IMHO
YMMV

JayD screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 06:14 PM
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1941
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Here's a comparison from someone who has/had both
Unlike some trolls posting here justifying their rides
So using your own language, what you actually did is justifying why you switched. It's more fun for you. But you are actually trolling when you tell people that what you think you need is what everybody has to think.

There are people here who have the absolute freedom to like the advantages of other bikes much more than the advantages of the Ducati. Every impression written down here is a personal opinion. Even yours.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #1942
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

JayD screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 05:14 PM
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #1943
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
JayD,
If you have either S model it will need a stiffer spring.
In the area of 9.5 or 10.0 vs the 8.5 that comes on it.
This will eliminate the low riding in the rear and help it finish the turns.
The standard models have a stiffer spring more in line with where the spring rate should be.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #1944
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Got mine two weeks ago. So far so good and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it...many smiles. Hello Rocket Sled!

I have no empirical data to share yet re: its offroad worthiness. I think it will do ok on forest roads but I am waiting to get the crash bars + header guard on it before I take it on any dirt roads. It seems nimble enough and the suspension seems competent. My biggest worry would be the stock tires.

For serious dirt, I will stay on my KTM 690E. Thats what it is designed for.

However, I think this bike will do just fine for some low-key cruisin when a forest road stands between me and my destination. Hell, I just spent the weekend riding (on the 690) 2ft deep ruts, 6ft whoops and other assorted nastiness with a guy on a loaded BMW R10 (?) - if'n you have skillz and a little common sense...

A comment on a few posts I have read. Compared to other Ducatis - I think the bike has very smooth power delivery through the powerband. That proviso at the beginning of the last sentence is important: other Ducati's kinda require you to upgrade exhaust/ECU to get smooth acceleration from low RPM to high. The Multistrada seems to do pretty well without the upgrades.

One thing I would like to improve on is the wind noise I get from the windshield (I am 6'4"). What are other's doing about the windshield? Anything?

Michael

mfaoro screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 10:29 PM
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #1945
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
Hey JayD, I couldn't agree more. I've had 7 BMW's over the last 5-6 years, from K1200's to '08GSA.
I picked my 1200 Multi up and have had a ball just running it in. Look out once it's got 2,500 kms on it. I found the BM's were getting a bit tired after 6 years of the same GS. They still go alright, but after riding the new 1200 Multi, they just don't compare. BMW will come back with a new GS that'll be great, but until then the Ducati has the goods for me.
PeterGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #1946
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc99
JayD,
If you have either S model it will need a stiffer spring.
In the area of 9.5 or 10.0 vs the 8.5 that comes on it.
This will eliminate the low riding in the rear and help it finish the turns.
The standard models have a stiffer spring more in line with where the spring rate should be.
Thanks
I was thinking along those lines too
I did drop the front forks 1/2 an inch and it was better but need to dial it in

JayD screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 11:14 AM
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #1947
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 673
Jay D,

Were you near Hiawassee, GA last Friday afternoon? My friends and I saw a red Multi in the middle of a group of sport bikes on 175 between Hiwassee and Hwy64. We were on dualsports headed north and there were for or five sport bikes headed south.

I still remember the gumbo you brought to the KLR weekend in Tallahassee a few years ago. I was the guy on crutches riding the KLX. Good times!

Dave
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #1948
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13
Jay D,

Were you near Hiawassee, GA last Friday afternoon? My friends and I saw a red Multi in the middle of a group of sport bikes on 175 between Hiwassee and Hwy64. We were on dualsports headed north and there were for or five sport bikes headed south.

I still remember the gumbo you brought to the KLR weekend in Tallahassee a few years ago. I was the guy on crutches riding the KLX. Good times!

Dave
Yep, that was me Dave

Infact heres a shot of the knackered rear tire of one of the bikes i was running with
The Ducati did surprisingly well all things considered ;)

Pretty hardcore group but not half as crazy as you showing up for a dual sport ride with casts and crutches!
YOU are hard core my friend :)
Glad ya'll liked the Gumbo, it was my pleasure
Had a blast riding with you Fla boys !
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #1949
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
What are other's doing about the windshield? Anything?

Michael
I liked mine in the down position personally
No buffeting with the wind hitting at chin level,
I'm 5-11" btw
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #1950
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGSA
BMW will come back with a new GS that'll be great, but until then the Ducati has the goods for me.
Agreed, hopefully BMW will answer back
We know they are capable