Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #1951
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Here are some windshields.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Stradaprod.html

I saw some guys on the Ducati site have added bigger windshields.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #1952
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
I installed a Laminar Lip on mine...

I'm a big fan of the Laminar Lip, and Leo just got some fabricated for the new MilleDue. Here's a pic of mine with the LL installed.

Makes a HUGE difference. Smooth airflow, no buffeting. Absolutely transforms the bike, IMHO. Some tifosi think it's unsightly, but I disagree.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #1953
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
MTS1200 Windshields

Thanks Jayd, Dr.Greg and Scooter.

My main concerns are 1. reducing wind noise (yes, I wear earplugs) and 2. protection from weather.

The lowest position on the stocker is the least noisy position for me. The top position results in some serious "whump-whump", low-bass wind noise.

I have seen the Calsci windshields and was wondering if anyone had experiences with them. Scooter: when you mention 'ducati site' which web site are you referring to? Multistrada.net?

Dr.Greg - if you dont mind me askin' - whats your height? From your description it does sound like the higher windshield is the way to go. Nice bike by the way. I have one of its identical twins .

Michael
Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #1954
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
Scooter: when you mention 'ducati site' which web site are you referring to? Multistrada.net?

Michael
See post 136

More here.

Accessories.

Info.

Ducati_MTS1200/other/multistrada_1200_accessories_brochure.pdf

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 07:59 AM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #1955
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
Holy shi*t, Bayliss got Multi. I have to buy one now

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #1956
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
It was the same for me. The bike fitted me like an old and loved glove. The problem for me was that I couldn't move around even a bit. It was a "there or nowhere" fit. Also the test ride gave me some unexpected insights.

Bought an R1200GS about a month ago. No GSA - I don't like the looks, though my wife does. But she likes the GS, too.
Cug

I was reading a post of yours way back around page 100 or so where you were comparing the ride of the MS1200 to the BMW F800GS.

Ironically, I found quite the opposite to your comments. I find my F800GS is more vibey, especially in the upper RPM range. I found the MS to be very maneuverable in slow steering lock turns in a tight parking lot. ( not unlike the GS ) I did notice the fueling issue at lower RPMs but it didn't take me more than 5 minutes to realize I was riding a Duc with 7 year old BMW habits. As soon as I started utilizing the engine within the RPM range it was designed for, I was treated to an incredibly exhilarating ride! I also found much more leg room on the MS than on my F800.

Having said all that, I was just as happy to jump back on my F800GS after test riding the Duc.

In my opinion, I can't honestly compare it to other bikes like the GSA or R1100S or F800GS or any other bike I have owned. The MS is in my opinion, a bike unto its' own.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #1957
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static
Ironically, I found quite the opposite to your comments. I find my F800GS is more vibey, especially in the upper RPM range.
The reason why I don't care for this is that I don't ride in that rev range very often. It's plain not my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static
As soon as I started utilizing the engine within the RPM range it was designed for, I was treated to an incredibly exhilarating ride! I also found much more leg room on the MS than on my F800.
The issue is that I don't like the way the MS (at least without modifications to the FI system) requires you to ride does neither match my habits nor my taste. I plain don't like engines I have to rev to get usable behaviour. I also prefer Diesel engines over Otto (Gas) engines.

You can probably sum it up to the point that the MultiStrada does look like a bike that matches my style perfectly but when getting on it, this turns out to be completely wrong. It doesn't match my style at all. Therefore I would love it when having a blast on a curvy road, but I wouldn't like it every other day. There were just too many things completely wrong for me with this bike. Personal taste ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1958
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 584
Yeah absolutely, motorcycles really are a "personal" thing. That is partially what intrigued me about your comparison. Here we are riding the same bikes and yet realizing quite different experiences with them.

In a perfect world, I would have as many bikes in my garage as my wife has shoes in her closet!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #1959
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
It cracks me up when people complain about Multistrada not running too well below 3K. It's a motorcycle for God's sake, not a dump truck, SUV or tractor. You are supposed to rev it up. Leave lugging at 2K to diesels. Once you move RPM needle clockwise, you will discover a lot of fun

D.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #1960
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
It cracks me up when people complain about Multistrada not running too well below 3K. It's a motorcycle for God's sake, not a dump truck, SUV or tractor. You are supposed to rev it up. Leave lugging at 2K to diesels. Once you move RPM needle clockwise, you will discover a lot of fun
What about just having your own opinion? And leave others their opinion ...
Old 09-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #1961
jcwalsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I would offer that once a personal opinion is willingly posted on an open forum it is open for discussion, clarification and more than often, opposing views.

Please also understand that personally I appreciate both sides and every back and forth helps me get closer to justifying the purchase of either a new MTS or GSA. I just spoke with our local dealership and the demo MTS arrived yesterday and should be available for me on Tuesday. I will then give my own personal opinion and everyone else can pound sand.
jcwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #1962
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac

D.
When you are just cruising around town or commuting your gonna be in that 3-4k rpm range. This is not a 1198 superbike. The problem is real and very annoying to most riders.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1963
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalsh
I would offer that once a personal opinion is willingly posted on an open forum it is open for discussion, clarification and more than often, opposing views.
Actually, that's now getting into wording / language questions and hair splitting. You can discuss my opinion you can oppose it, but it is not open for discussion. It's my opinion, not yours. You can discuss a topic expressed by my and your opinion with me though and you can have as many opposing views as you want. But you can't take my opinion or my taste away.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #1964
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
+1

It's cug's opinion and that is his and his only. That's why there are lots of different bikes out there with different people buying them. Otherwise there would be just one bike for everyone.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #1965
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
Thanks Jayd, Dr.Greg and Scooter.

Dr.Greg - if you dont mind me askin' - whats your height? From your description it does sound like the higher windshield is the way to go. Nice bike by the way. I have one of its identical twins .

Michael
I am 5-9. Note that I installed the Laminar Lip on the stock windscreen, not a "higher" one. If confronted with a strong headwind, I raise the whole setup up to the highest position; otherwise I have it at the lowest position.

I'm not a fan of big windscreens, and the stocker + LL is perfect for me.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote