Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #1981
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
After having trouble shaking a (very fit) friend on an Suzuki SV 650 though some really rough roads/trails here in the Cascades (Golf Ball Road, Snoqualmie Pass to FR19) I am not writing the Multistrada off as a good forest road bike.

I am waiting for my crash bars for the MTS from AltRider before I hit any dirt roads. Will report once I do.

The SV650 had tires that were very similar to the MTS. They fell down the most on steep, very curvy downhills. But...they showed their weaknesses mostly because my friend was trying to keep up with me instead of riding their own ride. Ridden in a more relaxed, intentional manner later in the ride they seems to work fine. Not in the same league as my MEFOs but they worked. THe SV doesnt have the same size front wheel though - will be interesting to see how that affects my opinion.

It will never be my KTM 690 Enduro but I didnt want another 690 Enduro :). Perhaps I am so optimistic because the KTM has such incredible torque and I dont see the MTS in Enduro mode to be that different. Its 100 extra pounds but I wont be doing near the speeds or aggressive riding I do on the KTM.

I agree...the panniers sucks - they need to fix the leaking bit - very disappointing. I think they would also take some damage in a get off as opposed to a soft bag or alu pannier.

I havent noticed untoward surging. Or rather, what surging I have noticed is the result of me paying too much attention to the throttle during breakin. Its simply too powerful a bike to try to keep at a specific and low RPM - any movement of the throttle is going to have a lot of consequence and feels like a surge.

I will say that Ducatis arent low rev machines. They just want to be revved. If you feel that 0-4000rpm acceleration is too rough then I would suggest the termi system and/or a smaller front sprocket. This combo fixed similar problems on my Monster. No Ducati (that I have ridden) is going to be happy at hanging out at 2000rpm though.

I agree that the gearing isnt completely perfect for american suburban traffic. 35mph is right in between second and third, 50 is right between third in fourth. You are either a little low in the RPMs or in the 4500-5000 range. That said, you dont buy a ducati because you want to relax all the time - thats not in its blood. I also think I pay too much attention to it during break in and I might not agree with my own comment 250 miles from now (1000k, break-in tease will be over ).

I am still trying to figure out the windscreen. Like the height of the calsci screens but would like to see them sink the mounting holes like Duc screens. Yah, I know...cosmetic...but I am a designer and it is a Ducati :). I dont think the DP touring windscreen will add enough height to matter too much. At 6'4" it seems like the stocker throws the air right at my helmet regardless of its adjusted height. I dont know if the DP's additonal inch (or whatever it is) will really help. Any tall people with the DP touring screen? Did it help?

Michael
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #1982
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
After having trouble shaking a (very fit) friend on an Suzuki SV 650 though some really rough roads/trails here in the Cascades (Golf Ball Road, Snoqualmie Pass to FR19) I am not writing the Multistrada off as a good forest road bike.

I am waiting for my crash bars for the MTS from AltRider before I hit any dirt roads. Will report once I do.

The SV650 had tires that were very similar to the MTS. They fell down the most on steep, very curvy downhills. But...they showed their weaknesses mostly because my friend was trying to keep up with me instead of riding their own ride. Ridden in a more relaxed, intentional manner later in the ride they seems to work fine. Not in the same league as my MEFOs but they worked. THe SV doesnt have the same size front wheel though - will be interesting to see how that affects my opinion.

It will never be my KTM 690 Enduro but I didnt want another 690 Enduro :). Perhaps I am so optimistic because the KTM has such incredible torque and I dont see the MTS in Enduro mode to be that different. Its 100 extra pounds but I wont be doing near the speeds or aggressive riding I do on the KTM.

I agree...the panniers sucks - they need to fix the leaking bit - very disappointing. I think they would also take some damage in a get off as opposed to a soft bag or alu pannier.

I havent noticed untoward surging. Or rather, what surging I have noticed is the result of me paying too much attention to the throttle during breakin. Its simply too powerful a bike to try to keep at a specific and low RPM - any movement of the throttle is going to have a lot of consequence and feels like a surge.

I will say that Ducatis arent low rev machines. They just want to be revved. If you feel that 0-4000rpm acceleration is too rough then I would suggest the termi system and/or a smaller front sprocket. This combo fixed similar problems on my Monster. No Ducati (that I have ridden) is going to be happy at hanging out at 2000rpm though.

I agree that the gearing isnt completely perfect for american suburban traffic. 35mph is right in between second and third, 50 is right between third in fourth. You are either a little low in the RPMs or in the 4500-5000 range. That said, you dont buy a ducati because you want to relax all the time - thats not in its blood. I also think I pay too much attention to it during break in and I might not agree with my own comment 250 miles from now (1000k, break-in tease will be over ).

I am still trying to figure out the windscreen. Like the height of the calsci screens but would like to see them sink the mounting holes like Duc screens. Yah, I know...cosmetic...but I am a designer and it is a Ducati :). I dont think the DP touring windscreen will add enough height to matter too much. At 6'4" it seems like the stocker throws the air right at my helmet regardless of its adjusted height. I dont know if the DP's additonal inch (or whatever it is) will really help. Any tall people with the DP touring screen? Did it help?

Michael
I'm 6'-3" with the Duc touring windscreen. I feel that the best riding condition for me is with the windscreen down. I've played with it under speed and it just seems to be smoother down. I have a GSA with a aftermarket windscreen and it is nice as it get me out of the air completely but it is big. It looks good on the GS. I think a tall screen on the MS with the angle would put it in your face and look funny. The Arai Q helmut seems to be a good match for the Duc configuration.
I just picked my bike up with the full exhaust set up. The slip on was a waste! Holly shit, the bike sounds damn good, and the traction control light is working overtime.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #1983
mfaoro
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeworm
I'm 6'-3" with the Duc touring windscreen. I feel that the best riding condition for me is with the windscreen down.

I just picked my bike up with the full exhaust set up. The slip on was a waste! Holly shit, the bike sounds damn good, and the traction control light is working overtime.
Do you think there was any improvement from the stocker to the touring screen?

Glad to hear the full exhaust rocks your world. I do miss the sound a bit from the full system I had on my S2R.

Michael
Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #1984
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Test road one last Friday. Loved it. It felt like a better V-Strom. Too bad you could buy two 'Stroms for the cost of one like the one I road...
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #1985
GreeKKTiNoS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991

ROman humor !!!!

GreeKKTiNoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #1986
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
well... free web translation doesn't really help. this is what it spit out:

"son, also blessed I know money thrown"

Anyway that pope is German, isn't he?
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #1987
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Hmmm... something about butter, in reference to the color? Or maybe a reference to the activities of some catholic priests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKKTiNoS

ROman humor !!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #1988
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you think there was any improvement from the stocker to the touring screen?

Glad to hear the full exhaust rocks your world. I do miss the sound a bit from the full system I had on my S2R.

Michael
I had the taller one installed when I bought the bike. Its probably similar with the stock one up, and the tall one down!

I am curious what the milage is going to be?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #1989
mfaoro
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeworm
I had the taller one installed when I bought the bike. Its probably similar with the stock one up, and the tall one down!

I am curious what the milage is going to be?
Thanks Bikeworm. Do you mean, how does your screen affect mileage or mileage in general?

Im gettubg around 42mpg during breakin...

Michael
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #1990
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
I was holding out for a 2011, but it looks like my '09 1100S is sold and apparently the 2011 won't be out until the end of the calendar year. I called my dealer and he says 2 weeks for a white Multi 1200S Sport, so I gave him the green light. I'm adding the Termis and electric gas cap. By all accounts the newest software update seems to have sorted out most of the steady 3k surge issues. I'm really looking forward to this bike!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #1991
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman
I was holding out for a 2011, but it looks like my '09 1100S is sold and apparently the 2011 won't be out until the end of the calendar year. I called my dealer and he says 2 weeks for a white Multi 1200S Sport, so I gave him the green light. I'm adding the Termis and electric gas cap. By all accounts the newest software update seems to have sorted out most of the steady 3k surge issues. I'm really looking forward to this bike!
The electric gas gap is a good call and is on my wish list. I thought it was bogus until I have to dig out the key to fill up. The keyless ignition is very convenient, until you go looking for the key to open the gas tank.
The exhaust system transforms the bike into a badass, not that it already is, you just know it when it lights up that you're n for thrill.
This is the first Ducati I've owned, the follow up and attentiveness from the dealer and factory is over and above anything I've experienced from other brands.
You won't be disappointed!
Cheers
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #1992
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,227
2000 miles on my standard. Went with the touring screen at 600 miles, lots worse than the stocker. (I'm 5'11" and 32" inseam) I cut it off twice now, down 2" still no good, but okay in this heat. I added the Laminar lip to it, not much better.

Mine had the surging, I have been tweaking the airscrews both front and rear, my front started out closed. Before, it died several times coming from highway cruise to a stop.

The surging is almost gone, and really best when the temps are in the 70s or less. Think the airscrew tweaking and mileage has helped a lot.

I am getting over 210 mi to the tank and 4.9 gallons to fill. Happy with that, my Tiger never could make it to 200 without running out.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #1993
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada
Wanted a bit more RED

....wanted a bit more black.....and some titanium

Multistrada 1200 photo fun.....Ducati Multistrada Photo Compilation Video

Click for 640x385 version...select the 480P option ;-)

.....with original soundtrack (blocked by YouTube):
http://animoto.com/play/PC4wN0PjclMiNNWYoNO5xg

Photos: http://andyw-inuk.smugmug.com/Motorc...ltistrada-1200

http://www.MTS1200.info

Yeah I know............geek! lol

Animoto.com - "We make killer video from your images...automatically!"
Fast. Free. Shockingly easy. Brought to you by film & TV producers, Animoto turns your images into exquisite video pieces in just minutes.
NB: quote the following referral code when you sign up for a DISCOUNT if you choose the paid for services:
cjiptkha

;)
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #1994
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Bikeworm. Do you mean, how does your screen affect mileage or mileage in general?

Im gettubg around 42mpg during breakin...

Michael
No, I was referring to the Termi exhaust. I was getting about the same as you. Im at 2K.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #1995
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Crikey, someone with an MS does have a camera

Hey, Andy, how about putting a couple in the picture thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619669

I need that exhaust!
Having spent the day at Goodwood Revival yesterday, I couldn't hear my bike on the way home.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote