Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #2011
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 424
That's just the kind of honest input I was looking for...

It sounds like the MTS windscreen could be an issue to sort out for me as much as it has been with the BMW F800GS (my current ride...)...

Like some of the others here, I'm torn between the sporty, sexy MTS 1200 with the great motor but questionable seating position for long trips or the more placid, saner BMW 1200GSA with its comfier ergos (where I can move around in the seat) and decent wind protection. Two completely different bikes, I know, but I can only afford one or the other...decisions, decisions...I guess I need to ride them both back to back.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #2012
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
That's just the kind of honest input I was looking for...

It sounds like the MTS windscreen could be an issue to sort out for me as much as it has been with the BMW F800GS (my current ride...)...

Like some of the others here, I'm torn between the sporty, sexy MTS 1200 with the great motor but questionable seating position for long trips or the more placid, saner BMW 1200GSA with its comfier ergos (where I can move around in the seat) and decent wind protection. Two completely different bikes, I know, but I can only afford one or the other...decisions, decisions...I guess I need to ride them both back to back.
Once you ride the MS you will not want to purchase the GS. BTW, Corbin just released a seat for the MS which I just ordered. Also, owned an R1200GS for 4 years before the MS.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #2013
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
Once you ride the MS you will not want to purchase the GS. BTW, Corbin just released a seat for the MS which I just ordered. Also, owned an R1200GS for 4 years before the MS.
It's a matter of what'is important for a person. I rode a Multistrada and immediately disliked it after running around it for some time and waiting for it for months to arrive.

Happily bought an R1200GS - different priorities.

cug screwed with this post 09-30-2010 at 08:11 PM
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #2014
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,377
^ I traded mine in for a leftover 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio, so I get it.

Having said that, the MTS1200 will remain one of the greatest bikes I've ever owned, maybe even too perfect.

Peace
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #2015
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
I rode the MTS1200 FIRST, 2 times.

I picked the GSA - for ME. The Ducati just didn't fit me. Outstanding bike, just not for me.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #2016
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
MTS! No BWM GS (insert bike name here)!
It's obvious that people have diverse reasons for making decisions. If you dont have something useful to say (aka reasons, thought processes) then why say something? OK start flaming me....uh....NOW!

I expect far too much of the interwhebs...:)

Motowalt:

RE: the windshield...

I think this is a tractable problem. I just havent had time to play with it much since I got the bike. Too busy riding. I am also more sensitive to wind noise than most. I am a not-so-closeted audio geek with hearing loss from attending thousands of concerts. I want to preserve what hearing I have left.

As far as choosing a bike...

I chose the MTS because I wanted a more comfortable bike than my Monster that was still a orgy of acceleration. I wanted a bike that could take me to me to the edge of my comfort zone and have plenty more if I wanted it. I wanted a bike that I could take on a dirt road if needed but I know I wont require it to traverse the length of the continent of Africa :). Something good for touring that could do 2-up well. I wanted a bike that was light enough that its weight wasnt a constant factor in my decision-making. Lastly, I wanted a bike that I didnt have to farkle up for it to feel complete (dont get me wrong, I have invested in a skid plate and engine bars for the MTS...but I dont feel like it needs much more).

As Florida Lime points out above, its fit may not be for every body type. At 6'4" I seem to fit into it pretty well. Coming from a Monster and a KTM the seat is a nirvana since it supports my entire butt and holds it in place. I could see myself screwing with the handlebar positioning a little bit as I stand on the bike more but not a lot. If I have any complaints about the ergos (other than the windscreen) it would probably be the stock lever positions which I need to get off my lazy ass and adjust. Come to think of it, I have never had a bike that was dead-on ergonomically perfect stock.

I also have a KTM 690E. This is my dirt 'adventure' bike and what I use for my multiday offroad trips. In my book, lightness makes the backcountry more fun. The MTS will never approach the dirt-bike-tuned performance of my 690 and I dont expect it to. The KTM, while very fast, will never be as comfortable for long stretches of slab as the MTS and I certainly wouldnt put a passenger on it.

You cant go wrong with the MTS or the GS. They are both incredible bikes. If you identify with most of the reasons I listed for buying my MTS you might want to give it a good, hard look.

Michael

mfaoro screwed with this post 10-01-2010 at 01:46 PM
mfaoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #2017
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
I think this is a tractable problem. I just havent had time to play with it much since I got the bike. Too busy riding. I am also more sensitive to wind noise than most. I am a not-so-closeted audio geek with hearing loss from attending thousands of concerts. I want to preserve what hearing I have left.

I have the same issues and was warned a few years ago to stop playing drums and riding bikes as the damage caused now would be permanent.
This prompted me a few years ago to start finding a solution and can now help with the MS1200 - PM if you'd like more details or there are plenty of discussions on the net.
Can easily be fixed by adding means of adjustability.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #2018
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro

Now, if I could just figure out how to get the grease stain the shop got on the seat off. Ideas?..that wont damage the seat...

Michael
You could try hand cleaner for greasy hands. I have used it on greasy hand prints on oxidized paint when nothing else would work.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #2019
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,159
Strada, your link does not work for me.

I had a Tiger so know of your designs. I'm interested. Currently running the Laminar lip but don't like it much over the stock screen.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #2020
Strada
Tally Ho!

Hey!!!
Strange how the same issues keep cropping up!

The main issue with the MS is that the screen is in completely the wrong place and fitting larger screens don't prevent the wind-blast hitting you under the chin - my adjustable kit fixes this.

Try this link:
www.palmerproducts.co.uk

or directly to the MS1200 page:
http://palmerproducts.auto.officelive.com/MS1200.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2021
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada
The main issue with the MS is that the screen is in completely the wrong place and fitting larger screens don't prevent the wind-blast hitting you under the chin - my adjustable kit fixes this.
Wow! That actually makes a lot of sense. Good thinking. I'm glad I'd waited for more options.

You have a PM...

Michael
Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #2022
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,450
Question

I found a red sport model "on sale" this weekend at a local stealer for $13,998.00. Has anyone seen a better price for a new one?

Man, I want one of these bikes...

Other than the big "nostrils" up front, and the rear mudflap, it's a beautiful bike.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #2023
Strada
Tally Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Other than the big "nostrils" up front, and the rear mudflap, it's a beautiful bike.
my only real complaint aesthetically are those hideous mirrors!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2024
damnbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Last weekend I decided to test ride the Multi and the Honda Varadero on the same morning. I should never have tested the Multi, at less than half the price, the Varadero is a good, solid bike. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to buying it because I know what I'll be missing!
damnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #2025
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I found a red sport model "on sale" this weekend at a local stealer for $13,998.00. Has anyone seen a better price for a new one?
That sounds like a base model - $1000 off. Not what I would call the "sport" model - the S Sport (and S Touring) list at $19,995.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote