Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #2071
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com
Was ISAF 6 aug 08 and will be ISAF 12 aug 2011. Had a lot of good times with the Gunlinedudes at FOB Armadillo and the 81mm mortarcrews at FOB Keenan. All British ofcourse.
Divorced...
No house...living at the Base.
Paid a bit better than the lousy salary Brits get.
No girlfriend.
Bikes and cars a are taxed 180% in Denmark. If MS cost 10.000 the "licenseplate" would cost 18.000 + the MS price = 28.000

respect..........

but anyway in DK the buses and trains run on time and beer is reasonably priced! ........ if served in small bottles and not as good as English beer, of course.

........in my experience (I'm married to a Dane) Danes like paying high taxes ! - Go on, deny it if you can ! They think they get a good deal ! I don't get it
So Danes are paid twice what the Brits get but pay twice the tax (or more) - it evens itself out.

I had a brain-wave - you could buy a MS, register it in the UK (10.5) and leave it with me and I'll run it in for you and you come use it whenever you want......... its a win-win situation Not such a crazy idea, considering the tax issue...........

held og lykke !
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 AM   #2072
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203

I had a brain-wave - you could buy a MS, register it in the UK (10.5) and leave it with me and I'll run it in for you and you come use it whenever you want......... its a win-win situation Not such a crazy idea, considering the tax issue...........

I like this man. He obviously has a future in sales.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #2073
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 950
Are the adjustable Ohlins on the 2010 Touring model worth the extra $5000? I looked at a standard version yesterday; I'd want bags ($1500) and heated grips ($300), a $3200 difference between the two. Anybody ride both versions to compare?

spartanman screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 08:32 AM
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #2074
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman
Are the adjustable Ohlins on the 2010 Touring model worth the extra $5000? I looked at a standard version yesterday; I'd want bags ($1500) and heated grips ($300), a $3200 difference between the two. Anybody ride both versions to compare?
I bought my bags (panniers) after the sale, they were $640, heated grips were $240. My dealer or is it Ducati, give big discount after the sale for accessories the first 30 days. I went with a givi 36L topcase, but finally saw the MST 12 model, and it is nice but large (48L).
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #2075
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,454
Two stupid questions-

1. How wide spread is the Ducati dealer network? I know it's not on par with Harley or Honda but is it close to BMW's network?

2. How hard is it to do routine maintenance such as oil changes?

I'm considering trading in my LT for something much lighter and this might be my new pony.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #2076
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
I test rode the S touring and bought a standard with ABS. I took a chance that I'd be satisfied with the standard suspension and I've ended up being very happy with my decision, the standard's suspension works very well. I had an Ohlins equipped 1100S previously. While I certainly couldn't fault the way the Ohlins on the 1200S performed, it's not worth the extra bucks to me to push a button and make suspension changes. But we all have different priorities and many people love that ability and the extra cost was apparently worth it. Ask yourself how often you change your suspension settings now, or wish you could with greater ease. Twisting a knob or turning a screwdriver once in a while isn't a hardship to me.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #2077
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner
Two stupid questions-

1. How wide spread is the Ducati dealer network? I know it's not on par with Harley or Honda but is it close to BMW's network?

I'm considering trading in my LT for something much lighter and this might be my new pony.
1. I'd say it's on par with BMW's network. In the midwest anyway. Look at the dealer locator on Ducati's website. What dealers charge for service and recommend to be done can vary hugely though.

2. As easy as any motorcycle is. Everything's easily accessed for oil changes and the like.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #2078
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner
Two stupid questions-

The MTS12 is high tech, oil change is DIY but the 15,000 mile service will need the computer hooked up to check TPS and other things to say the least. I expect it to be over $1000. Still no service manual, don't think they are in a rush to give to us.

My standard weighs 485 lbs, and at about 148 hp, you will NEED the DTC turned on unless you are very careful.

You can talk about it, and read the spec papers, but if you test ride one, it will be tough to let it go. Lots of Duc owners have some Duc still in the garage just to scratch that itch.

I would say it is sorta like a lightweight K12GT, in that you can do 2up and roll on passes with ease.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #2079
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Sump plate is four small bolts. That is how you drop the oil. People have posted about overtightening the bolts and stripping the threads on the sump, on similar engines. So, easy but you need to know what you are doing. My 2c and I let my trusted workshop do that stuff. So I'm a pussy.

I'm commenting only on the simplest task. There is no question running a Duc is expensive, if you are not very comfortable working with mechanical stuff. (And I have rebuilt a couple of bike engines from the crank up long in the past, which worked pretty well afterwards, so not a complete klutz with tools.)

OTOH, not much bodywork to pull off. I've heard LTs can be pretty costly to have others service.

Moronic screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 07:04 AM Reason: Emphasised "very"
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #2080
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
I demoed a 1200 S touring and bought a base model (non abs). I ran the numbers by adding the features I consider essential, I came out ahead by buying a base model and outfitting just how I wanted it.

The base model suspension is very good. I share the same opinion as others, turning a knob and using a flat blade is not difficult plus I've never ridden a bike and wanted to adjust it while I ride. Plain and simple never had that need.

The 1200 multi is a very comfortable motorycle. Personally I see it as a excellent touring bike, without all the weight of the competitors.

Well see about the maintainence...

I demoed the bike and I couldn't get it out of my head. I've demoed and rode plenty of other bikes but none felt like this one.

It was like crack, first hit was free...
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #2081
spartanman
regret minimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT
I demoed a 1200 S touring and bought a base model (non abs). I ran the numbers by adding the features I consider essential, I came out ahead by buying a base model and outfitting just how I wanted it.

The base model suspension is very good. I share the same opinion as others, turning a knob and using a flat blade is not difficult plus I've never ridden a bike and wanted to adjust it while I ride. Plain and simple never had that need.

The 1200 multi is a very comfortable motorycle. Personally I see it as a excellent touring bike, without all the weight of the competitors.

Well see about the maintainence...

I demoed the bike and I couldn't get it out of my head. I've demoed and rode plenty of other bikes but none felt like this one.

It was like crack, first hit was free...
Going to the dealer later today for a test ride. Damnit.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #2082
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I rode one last week(see the thread in Road Warriors). I'm trading in my Megamoto for a 2011 Sport S. Riding it was like having the hand of God shoving you in the back. It was light, comfortable, agile and fast. Very, very fast. I'm hooked.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #2083
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro
I rode one last week(see the thread in Road Warriors). I'm trading in my Megamoto for a 2011 Sport S. Riding it was like having the hand of God shoving you in the back. It was light, comfortable, agile and fast. Very, very fast. I'm hooked.

David
You will love it. Although the MM is a great bike I don't miss it one bit!!!!!!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #2084
spartanman
regret minimizer

A quick re-cap of my 29 minute test ride this afternoon. The sales guy pre-flighted the controls, fired up the beast, and set it in Urban mode (100 hp) "until I got used to it," he said. Not being familiar with Ducatis, the idle sounds busy and lumpy, not at all like the electric motor on my K bike, or like a Harley. Off idle, you feel a slight pulsing as you'd expect from a v-twin, though the lump smoothes as the revs and grin-inducing torque build. Acceleration is breathtaking, and I hadn't yet switched to Sport (150 hp) mode. It's so light, and with the wide bars, feels like a dirt bike -- a blazingly fast dirt bike. Heading back, I switched to Sport mode to unbridle all the ponies, which made the throttle noticeably twitchier. I hit the on ramp and grabbed about half throttle which pinned my ass to the rear of the seat (105 mph indicated in a few beats of my racing heart). I slowed to blend with traffic then did a roll-on pass in 6th gear. Effortless. The bike feels planted and steady yet flickable. Impressive. Oh, one negative. The tiny windscreen doesn't do much besides generate turbulent air and helmet noise. Easily fixed. Ducati engineers: excellent job. You'll have another customer this Spring.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #2085
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
A quick re-cap of my 29 minute test ride this afternoon. The sales guy pre-flighted the controls, fired up the beast, and set it in Urban mode (100 hp) "until I got used to it," he said. Not being familiar with Ducatis, the idle sounds busy and lumpy, not at all like the electric motor on my K bike, or like a Harley. Off idle, you feel a slight pulsing as you'd expect from a v-twin, though the lump smoothes as the revs and grin-inducing torque build. Acceleration is breathtaking, and I hadn't yet switched to Sport (150 hp) mode. It's so light, and with the wide bars, feels like a dirt bike -- a blazingly fast dirt bike. Heading back, I switched to Sport mode to unbridle all the ponies, which made the throttle noticeably twitchier. I hit the on ramp and grabbed about half throttle which pinned my ass to the rear of the seat (105 mph indicated in a few beats of my racing heart). I slowed to blend with traffic then did a roll-on pass in 6th gear. Effortless. The bike feels planted and steady yet flickable. Impressive. Oh, one negative. The tiny windscreen doesn't do much besides generate turbulent air and helmet noise. Easily fixed. Ducati engineers: excellent job. You'll have another customer this Spring.
So you dont mention if you ever put it in sport mode for the full 150hp.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote