Oddometer: 1,525
The option is there, if you need it.

It looks worse than usual because Ducs are narrow:

Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #2117
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
I am looking at a Red base with ABS that is a dealer Demo with 1100 miles on her. They are still asking $16k out the door. I will definitely install heated grips, centerstand, and the panniers. So that will be another $1500....

They also have a White 2011 S Touring model. I am working with them on pricing but they will not budge off $19995++++ for the touring even though that is the one I like... Looks like it is going to be $21k out the door.

What has everyone elses experience been with negotiations? Is there much negotiation room in a Ducati?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #2118
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450trailrider View Post
I am looking at a Red base with ABS that is a dealer Demo with 1100 miles on her. They are still asking $16k out the door. I will definitely install heated grips, centerstand, and the panniers. So that will be another $1500....

They also have a White 2011 S Touring model. I am working with them on pricing but they will not budge off $19995++++ for the touring even though that is the one I like... Looks like it is going to be $21k out the door.

What has everyone elses experience been with negotiations? Is there much negotiation room in a Ducati?

Thanks for your input.
I couldnt get my dealer to budge much on the price but getting them to trow things in was easy- first sevice, a little gear, and a track day for wifey.

I got the standard with ABS. Love it. The forks are a little soft but that is actually a good thing on the forest roads i frequent.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #2119
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
It's not that simple, there are too many variables. Some dealers regularly discount Ducatis, while others don't. Some models sell well in some areas, but not in others, so that affects pricing. Mostly it's about demand. If you're a repeat customer can also affect whether they'll discount. I got a nice discount last summer on my '10 1200 ABS, but I'm a long time customer. Considering costs, a lot of people that don't do any of their own maintenance experience a bigger shock when they have their Ducati serviced. Service prices vary hugely by dealer, not just $ per hour, but how many hours they charge.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #2120
GollyGwiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I'm also in major bike lust for a new MultiStrada. I am a big Ducati fan and feel the need for a bright red Italian.

I currently have an R1100GS that has been rock steady for the past 10 years. Next bike will also need to last awhile so curious of people thoughts on durability. Obviously looking at the 1200GS and also the RT has always had my attention.

What have people's experience been on insurance rates? I did a quick check with Progressive and they came back with a quote of over $900/year on the Ducati. A new GS is almost a third of that. Got me thinking that all other costs may be looking at the same trend. Is that out of line with your experience?
IBA# 7309
wan-der-lust A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #2121
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00 View Post
Man, those are hideous - but I suppose they DO hold a lot.
They don't look as bad in person.

That photo is taken really close. Yes they are wide, but seen from a little more distance they are acceptable and not any worse than other side bags.

As a first time customer at that particular dealer, for my base model non ABS I got a discount from MSRP and 10% on ordered access.

I got an awesome insurance quote from Progressive on my MTS.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #2122
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

I was quoted this morning $265 every 6 months for full comp-collision w/$1k deductible.

I dont carry comp collision now but thought that was very reasonable.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #2123
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
I was quoted this morning $265 every 6 months for full comp-collision w/$1k deductible.

I dont carry comp collision now but thought that was very reasonable.
Back when I was thinking about getting one I was quoted $27.87/Mo. for full coverage - $250 ded comp & collision w/State Farm. Don't know how good that is, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #2124
Bottomdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Still using the stock seat?

How has your maintenance been?

How big is the stock Panniers? Can you fit a full face helmet in them?
I have the first 2011 in my area and the bike is an absolute gamer! I only have about 2k on the bike but it runs

Maintenance has been a breeze. No issues what so ever. I got outta there after my 600 break-in in less than $200. The only big maintenance is at the 15k service where they tend to the valves. Not there yet.

I ride almost everyday as weather permits. I don't do snow but small patchy ice is manageable if you know the roads. The warmer the weather, the more confidence you gain. Liking to a touring hooligan bike but very refined.

Since I spend so much time on bikes it's essential to be able to store my helmet. Toting is not an option with me The Pannier opposite to the exhaust takes my XL Arai Profile nicely. No issues there. I'm currently looking into helmet locks for the hand grips as long as it's not raining. The other is not quite as accommodating. I can a pair of size 13 US gym shoes, some shorts, 2 T-shirts, an athletic cup, a pair of 16 oz boxing gloves, bag gloves, Gerbings heated Jacket and a full sized bath towel in it. Far more than I expected actually. They also have Top Cases that accept helmets and doubles as a backrest for a passenger. I'm just not a fan of the look personally.

Hope this helps
Bottomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #2125
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Thanks guys. I went and talked to another dealer yesterday. I also looked it over in far greater detail than the first test ride.

My full face HJC AC-12 will fit in the left pannier by placing helmet base in first. I was pleased at the room in the stock bags. They have more room than my 07' Sprint St and I have been on a 4 day trip with them so no issues there. I also like the underseat room. Albeit small, it would hold some tools etc.. nicely.

They came off the msrp a grand but still have @ a grand of add on's... Freight, setup, document fees....

Bottom line. We are pretty close on pricing and I had two phone calls yesterday were they called me and want to talk about the deal. The store owner called and left his cell phone# and asked me to call him anytime this weekend. I called him and he sounded really motivated...

Sounded like we can come together on a price. I would wager that I will have one within a week or so.

Few things I am looking at that I would change asap.

#1- exhaust options. The stock sounds fine but losing that boat anchor would have to drop some major weight. Cant find anything priced decent though...

#2- Stock screen has too much turbulence. Looking at the Palmer products adapter.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #2126
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
They will deal on the 2010s for sure.

I have the Palmer, with his screen. I have not tried the stock screen on that mount, some say that is good also.

The stock exhaust is pretty loud, in that people can hear you coming from a mile away if you hammer.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #2127
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
They will deal on the 2010s for sure.

I have the Palmer, with his screen. I have not tried the stock screen on that mount, some say that is good also.

The stock exhaust is pretty loud, in that people can hear you coming from a mile away if you hammer.
I am getting them to deal on a 2011..... lol

The owner messed up last night and let it slip that they have been sitting on a Red 2010 non- touring abs version with panniers for quite awhile. He said that they dont need to have a Red 2011 touring sitting right next to it.

I had to agree with him.....
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #2128
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
The Ducati performane exhaust is pricey but really nice. I have one. It is much louder. Weighs a tons less. The stock cat converter is really really heavy.

Now you can get a full arrow system, which may or may not require a different ECU. I haven't followed that option closely. All I Know is that it is cheaper than the DP exhaust.

As far as screen options, I went with a laminar lip. It really helped for me and the wife on the back. The turbulence is way down. There's a bracket out there (forget the name), that allows more adjustment. I wish I saw that first before I purchased the laminar lip.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #2129
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
The going setup right now is to get the latest flash for your ECU from dealer then opt for the Power Commander V from Redline. Claims like 10 more HP plus really nice and smooth engine.

I am sitting back and waiting on some MPG reports on those setups.

http://www.redlinemotors.com/
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2130
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Lessee...

Insurance: Best rates I found for full coverage was State Farm.

Side Panniers: I think I saw Ducati's solution to the 'leaking' problem on the 2011 model panniers. Clamps on the side. Looks like they would work. Doesnt look quite as smooth but doesnt look bad.

Windscreen: I too have the Palmer thing-a-ma-bob. Works great with the stock screen. I also bought Palmer's bigger screen but I havent tried it yet. I am 6'4" and the wind blast was hitting me directly in the face before the Palmer Upgrade.

Ducati Exhaust: I dont have one on my Multistrada so take my reply with a grain of salt. On my Monster S2R, the exhaust certainly added performance but it did reduce MPG by a lot. It was also a little loud for the neighborhood...though it did sound soooooo good. Rode a few blocks on the MS yesterday without earplugs and was very pleased with the stock sound of the MS.

Two things I am interested in changing:
  1. Probably raising the handlebars a tad. Would make standing a little easier on fire roads than it is today.
  2. Replacing the stock brake lever. Its just a little too 'inside' for my liking. The only option I have seen so far is the DP upgrade for the pegs and both foot levers. At $900+ I will keep looking.

Michael

mfaoro screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 10:31 AM
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote