Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #2176
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I've owned both, and there's no way the GS is lighter than the Multi 1200. Where did you get these figures?

LOL. I'm with you Joseph. I've owned both also, and I agree, the Multi feels quite a bit lighter.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #2177
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
As I have, and why I originally made the statement.

They simply aren't close.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #2178
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Dry weight:

BMW GS - 203kg
Multi 1200 - 189kg

No clue where your numbers come from. Mine come from the manufacturers web sites.

Maybe liquids weigh more in the Multi than in the GS. It must be that the Italians use "heavy" water in the radiator that weighs 14kg/l.

-SM
Several Reviews But this one is the current Model :

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...1200-gs-review

Quotes 229 Fuelled ready to ride.

On the MTS I might stand corrected seems conflicting. Have one at 218 kgs fuelled, and one at 239 , so perhaps the heavier one is with boxes ?
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #2179
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Several Reviews But this one is the current Model :

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...1200-gs-review

Quotes 229 Fuelled ready to ride.

On the MTS I might stand corrected seems conflicting. Have one at 218 kgs fuelled, and one at 239 , so perhaps the heavier one is with boxes ?
I don't believe journos any more than I believe manufacturers when it comes to specs (different measuring technique, different measuring equipment, etc), but I do know that quoting different sources for each bike is flawed. What I DO believe is my personal experience with both bikes, and as Josephvman and Oalvarez can attest (since they too have owned both bikes), the Multi 1200 is definitely lighter than the GS.

Again, they are both terrific motorcycles, just different, with a different focus, and that means more choice for riders.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #2180
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I don't believe journos any more than I believe manufacturers when it comes to specs (different measuring technique, different measuring equipment, etc), but I do know that quoting different sources for each bike is flawed. What I DO believe is my personal experience with both bikes, and as Josephvman and Oalvarez can attest (since they too have owned both bikes), the Multi 1200 is definitely lighter than the GS.

Again, they are both terrific motorcycles, just different, with a different focus, and that means more choice for riders.

-SM
Understand what you are saying , but good reviews weigh the bikes , as stated by you maufacturers lie to the extent of even having special light weight tires. Feel is not a good basis either, I have ridden both and would say by feel the Multi is lighter, but in other cases I might not make the same correct assumption.

In any case I am happy to say te Multi is lighter based on the reviews I have read , as most list it at 218 wet, I made my first assumption on incorrect data by the looks.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #2181
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
"Bike" magazine in the UK tested the MultiStrada, GS and Super Tenere. They weighed them wet with full tanks ... The MS was 229Kg, the GS was 247Kg and the ST was 264Kg!

They also dyno tested them ... MS 142Hp, GS 100Hp, ST 90HP.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #2182
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
"Bike" magazine in the UK tested the MultiStrada, GS and Super Tenere. They weighed them wet with full tanks ... The MS was 229Kg, the GS was 247Kg and the ST was 264Kg!

Wow.... That is eye opening.... If its true.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #2183
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post

Is the test on line ? I would wonder what accessories were on the GS , as 247 seems way over the 229 claimed wet for the GS ?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #2184
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
I would wonder what accessories were on the GS , as 247 seems way over the 229 claimed wet for the GS ?
Your kidding right!? Cause if you are not, you need serious mind deprogramming.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #2185
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #2186
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Dry weight of Multi , as per dealr spec sheet 192 kg, for the S.

Dry weight as per BMW spec 203: Wet 229 kg.

http://www.motorcycles.bmw.com.au/sc...een=ModelSpecs

Multi taks 20 kgs of fuel so that would take it to 212 kg, we then need to add water , oil , battery , brake fluid ! Would still see it lighter than the GS , but not by much , you can add the stuff up , I can't see Multi have 17 kgs in the missing bits.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #2187
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
the GS is a pig in comparison; weight much higher up, much higher weight, much bulkier bike (engine, plastics, windscreen), etc.. while a great riding motorcycle the GS is (yes, i owned one), it was quite large and a lot less fun to own in my opinion. i actually ride the Stelvio better than i did the GS, but that makes a bit of sense given the upgrades i've done on the Guzzi (PCV/AT/Penske rear shock).

be well,

oalvarez screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 09:21 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #2188
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
the GS is a pig in comparison; weight much higher up, much higher weight, much bulkier bike (engine, plastics, windscreen), etc.. while a great riding motorcycle the GS is (yes, i owned one), it was quite large and a lot less fun to own in my opinion. i actually ride the Stelvio better than i did the GS, but that makes a bit of sense given the upgrades i've done on the Guzzi (PCV/AT/Penske rear shock).

be well,
I would have thought that the GS would have it's C of G lower than the MTS ? Also the rotation of the engine along the axis of the bike is a little better from a Gyroscopic point.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #2189
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
I would have thought that the GS would have it's C of G lower than the MTS ? Also the rotation of the engine along the axis of the bike is a little better from a Gyroscopic point.
Do you mean to say the rotation of the GS motor is "along the axis of the bike"?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2190
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
2010 MTS1200 test ride Friday afternoon

WOW...what a rocket!!! Spent about an hour on the bike in everything from stop and go traffic, moderate twisties, two-lane sweepers, to a 10 mile blast on some interstate with minimal traffic and hot dog in an Audi R8.

I was in Touring mode the whole time, so I can't speak to the other modes, but I found the bike extremely tractable in traffic, no surging or abrupt throttle on/off (I was looking for it), shifts up or down were smooth and only one false neutral, which I'll attribute to the way the shifter was adjusted...way more toe travel to upshift than I'd like. Even with the standard suspension, I found it a good balance, not too harsh, not too soft. I did notice quite a bit of front end compression under braking, but I suppose I'm used to the "telelever" on the RT and lack thereof.

Ergo's were just about perfect for me (5-10) and with the windscreen in the low setting, I found good chest protection and didn't notice any bothersome buffeting at freeway speeds. I would prefer the foot brake lever extend out a little further and compared to either my BMW or Suzuki, the foot pegs are a little more rearward than I'm used to. Having the pegs set a little more rearward causes my boot toes to point downward more and I'd have liked the gearshift and the brake pedal shifted down a notch.

In the short section of twisty road that I did, I was surprised that the bike took as much turning effort as it did, noticeably higher than my RT which seems to fall into turns, but due to the lighter weight, it changes directions really well. I did a couple runs through the section in both directions at higher speeds, since I'd never done the particular section of road and didn't know it or the conditions. Riding this bike fast in twisties or at a track day will demand a lot more attention!

Finally figured I'd better head back to the shop before rush hour traffic started building, so I hopped on GA400 headed South to checkout the freeway manners. Where I started out was 2 lanes each direction, but about 2 miles down the road it opens up 4 lanes. I was in the left lane, behind a pickup, running about 75 or so and I could see in my mirrors something low and squat coming up pretty fast...hmmmmm! When the road opens up to 4 lanes, the PU pulls over a lane, I pass him and pull over to let the guy coming up fast go by...it's an Audi R8. As he starts to go by me, the guy in the passenger seat points down the road as in "go", the driver downshifts and punches it. I downshift to 5th and nail it, blow by the R8, look down at the speedo and it's at 140 and climbing fast...ummm, back off time...geez what a motor!

And that's the beauty of the machine, great ergo's for all types of riding, brakes that will almost pop your eyes out their sockets, docile around town and a rocket ship when you twist the wrist. Add the upgrades on the S or Touring model and I can't think of anything that measures up to this level.

Am I going to spring for one...I dunno...I'm going to ride a Tiger 800XC on Tuesday and then I'll decide. Different beasts, yes, but I could go either way. When you come right down to it, there really aren't many roads I'd feel any more comfortable taking the MTS on than I would my RT...I've done sand and gravel fire roads on it when I've had to. For serious off-road, I've got the DRz, tho the thought of riding it cross-country on a defined time schedule certainly doesn't appeal. The 800XC might be ideal for cross country traveling and more demanding off-road...with a healthy engine to boot. We shall see...

Also, my thoughts on the current obsession with a few kilo's here or there with respect to the GS, MTS or ST...what's the point, they're very different bikes and all big pigs when you get them off-road and screw up. I just don't see the MTS being a competitor to the GS or ST when it comes to adventure touring off-road...not designed for it.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote