Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #2206
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I never really owned any of the bikes in my sig, so I'm just a lying bastid....

-SM
Huh? What does that have to do with the differences/similarities between the Stelvio and MTS12? . You said they were similar, I don't think they are. Actually, they're not even close.

Given that you owned a Norge, I'm surprised that you'd think the two others were so similar.

oalvarez screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 10:30 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #2207
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Huh? What does that have to do with the differences/similarities between the Stelvio and MTS12? . You said they were similar, I don't think they are. Actually, they're not even close.

Given that you owned a Norge, I'm surprised that you'd think the two others were so similar.
They've both got 2 wheels and a handlebar.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #2208
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

And I do think they are. Who gives a flying F?

The point is, many people who are looking at bikes like the Stelvio also look at the MTS, BMW GS, Yamaha S10, etc. TO ME, having both a Stelvio (or GS, or S10, etc.) and the MTS would be too much overlap as I have limited garage space and frankly, FOR ME, my MTS will go/do what I would go/do on those other bikes. That's all I was sayin'.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #2209
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
They've both got 2 wheels and a handlebar.
and the rider sits on both in an upright manner
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #2210
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
PIcking my bike up tomorrow from the reflash. The mechanic told me its running like an animal. His words were WOW! BTW- I have the full Termi on mine so I guess the upgrade is working well for it. I heard a rumor that the upgrade was not doing well on the full Termi bikes.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #2211
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
I'm looking to my next bike (currently Ulysses & S1 Buells) - and having tried both the MST & Tigger 880XC I am not convinced the MST is worth roughly double the price of the 800XC.

Loved the MST and its a fantastic bike but the 800XC has three-quarters of the MST's poke and will be more off-roadable, cheaper to maintain and less likely to get nicked.

I could keep my Uly for the twisties and have a 800XC - or just a MST

Many of you are and have been in the same boat - so why a MST ?

Italian sophistication ? Exotica ? Speed-freakery ? or the desire to be top dog in the 'tall bike' category - look deep inside grasshopper .......

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #2212
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
PIcking my bike up tomorrow from the reflash. The mechanic told me its running like an animal. His words were WOW! BTW- I have the full Termi on mine so I guess the upgrade is working well for it. I heard a rumor that the upgrade was not doing well on the full Termi bikes.
Several of us who had our 2010's reflashed have noted getting back a more "hairy chested" bike. Mine has more performance throughout the rev range. I can only imagine what yours will be like with the full Termi.....

-SM
Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #2213
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Several of us who had our 2010's reflashed have noted getting back a more "hairy chested" bike. Mine has more performance throughout the rev range. I can only imagine what yours will be like with the full Termi.....

-SM
So I may wind up keeping it after all if it runs like a gem.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #2214
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post

Italian sophistication ? Exotica ? Speed-freakery ? or the desire to be top dog in the 'tall bike' category - look deep inside grasshopper .......

Yes......
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #2215
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
The dilemma with the MTS1200 in the garage is that the other bikes get neglected. It's the only thing I've ridden since I got it. It's as fast as my 1098, I can push it harder in the corners, and I can comfortably spend an entire day on it. I'm having serious thoughts about trading the 1098 for a Diavel. I was planning on getting the next-generation Ducati superbike, and the Diavel would be something different that might be a lot of fun to ride for a year or so.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #2216
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
I'm looking to my next bike (currently Ulysses & S1 Buells) - and having tried both the MST & Tigger 880XC I am not convinced the MST is worth roughly double the price of the 800XC.

Loved the MST and its a fantastic bike but the 800XC has three-quarters of the MST's poke and will be more off-roadable, cheaper to maintain and less likely to get nicked.

I could keep my Uly for the twisties and have a 800XC - or just a MST

Fair question(s).

Here in the US, the Tigger 800 is just under $11k (MSRP). The MTS Standard which it most compares with is just under $15k (also MSRP). So....40% more $$$, not 100% more $$$,at least not here. For that difference, you get the amazing 1198 superbike motor (tuned for more HP/torque lower in the rev range) which pumps out 50% more HP than the Tigger, but is the same weight (it may even weigh a bit less, but the US site only quotes dry weight for the MTS and wet weight for the Tigger). Also, there is the famous Ducati handling. I haven't ridden the Tigger, but if it can handle like the Duc, it's a winner.

Then there's the whole twin vs. triple thing. Some folks prefer the twin, some the triple. I've ridden the 1050 Tigger many times, and that triple is a gem. I'd expect the lil' Tig to be just as good, but I'm a twin guy mainly due to performance....twins have LOTS of low end grunt, and the MTS is no exception.

Next we come to the techy bits, like DTC and the famous (infamous?) riding modes. Given the 150HP monster of a motor, I'm very happy that I can "tame" the beast for use in urban areas. I wouldn't want to wrestle with a "on/off" throttle and 150HP (which you get in Sport mode) on city streets, so a quick on-the-fly switch to Urban mode and I'm good. Once out on the highway, a switch to Touring (or Sport if I'm feeling the itch) and I've got all 150 ponies on tap for doing battle with cell-phoning, texting, mom-he's-touching-me! cagers intent on killing me through their total lack of concentration while navigating their 4000+ lb vehicles of mass destruction.

Finally, with the desmo engine, the maintenance schedule is very relaxed, with valve adjusts coming every 15k miles. My first service, done at the dealership, was under $200. My BMW and Moto Guzzi were 2x and 3x that, respectively.

In total, I think it's lots of little things that led me to the Duc, the biggest ones being the ergos (it fits me very well), performance, and the flexibility inherent in the riding modes that suit the bike very well to the environments that I ride in 99% of the time (urban to interstate, and everything in between).

Sorry for the long-winded post. In my defense, it was a question that didn't have a "yes/no" answer.

-SM
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #2217
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,227
I would love to ride the Diavel and show up with my old breakfast run HD guys!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #2218
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
She sure is purty, Ill say that. Too nice in fact to do what I like to do with my girls.
But can I keep her on the street and still be happy ? Meaning me. Thats what I'm wrestling with right now.
Saying that, I'm this _ close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 Touring.

"Subscribed"

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #2219
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Good points comparing 800 Tiger (Not XC) to MTS, Sock Monkey.

If a buyer is looking for the 50 so extra horsepower of the MTS, then that makes it easier to lay out the extra $$$ for the MTS.
The tougher decisision is for someone like me:
Sure I'd enjoy the extra ponies, but that comes with replacing rear tires more often, filling the tank more often, a couple hundred in timing belts every 15k, even perhaps paying speeding tickets more often.
For me personally, those extra 50 hp are not a big deal (gosh that sounds odd).
For me the suspension quality/adjustability of the S model is the allure that entices me to spend more. Oops, now comparing a bike that is 80% more $$$. I'm not even going to mention how much I like the looks of the Pikes Peak edition being released soon for just a few grand more. But it's really not that bad, because now when I compare Tiger to the S Touring, Ducati includes panniers, center stand, and heated grips. So maybe 70% more is a better number. Or maybe really a 40% difference after I upgrade the Tiger to Ohlins. Anyway you do it the Ducati always comes out a big chunk of change more.

Sorry I'm sounding like such an economic determinist on a Ducati thread.

So what about covering 400-600 miles in a day of sport touring on my adventure bike? Does the aftermarket offer a MTS seat that allows me to slide forward and back like on the Tiger, instead of being locked in?

What about legroom?

And how many more miles will the Tiger run on a tankful?

Which bike offers less wind buffeting?

How much more $ fixing MTS after falling over?

Will the Triumph be spending less time at the dealer getting fixed?

Heart wants Pike Peak MTS. Wallet wants Tiger 800. Head
Maybe compromise on MTS S Touring...
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #2220
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Good points comparing 800 Tiger (Not XC) to MTS, Sock Monkey.

If a buyer is looking for the 50 so extra horsepower of the MTS, then that makes it easier to lay out the extra $$$ for the MTS.
The tougher decisision is for someone like me:
Sure I'd enjoy the extra ponies, but that comes with replacing rear tires more often, filling the tank more often, a couple hundred in timing belts every 15k, even perhaps paying speeding tickets more often.
For me personally, those extra 50 hp are not a big deal (gosh that sounds odd).
For me the suspension quality/adjustability of the S model is the allure that entices me to spend more. Oops, now comparing a bike that is 80% more $$$. I'm not even going to mention how much I like the looks of the Pikes Peak edition being released soon for just a few grand more. But it's really not that bad, because now when I compare Tiger to the S Touring, Ducati includes panniers, center stand, and heated grips. So maybe 70% more is a better number. Or maybe really a 40% difference after I upgrade the Tiger to Ohlins. Anyway you do it the Ducati always comes out a big chunk of change more.

Sorry I'm sounding like such an economic determinist on a Ducati thread.

So what about covering 400-600 miles in a day of sport touring on my adventure bike? Does the aftermarket offer a MTS seat that allows me to slide forward and back like on the Tiger, instead of being locked in?

What about legroom?

And how many more miles will the Tiger run on a tankful?

Which bike offers less wind buffeting?

How much more $ fixing MTS after falling over?

Will the Triumph be spending less time at the dealer getting fixed?

Heart wants Pike Peak MTS. Wallet wants Tiger 800. Head
Maybe compromise on MTS S Touring...
coast range rider & sock monkey - Good replies ............. the kind of reasonings I was after. Because I have the same dillema & need it explaining back to me.
I thought about doing a decison matrix with score for bhp & off-roadability, depreciation, fuel use, fun - but I think if we are all completely honest, when a bike enthusiast (as opposed to a commuter or Pirate) buys a new bike from the heart - not the head. Does that make sense?
The last new bike I bought was a KLR - it was bought with the head - cheap, reliable, economic - but I hated it & it nearfly killed my enthusiasm. Luckily I discovered Buells which put e back on track. Trust your heart.

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote