Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2251
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I found out the other day that when you leave with the key in the unlock seat position, the dash will show no key.
Yup, I've done it many times already. Thats the ECU telling you "dummy take the key out of the seat lock before it falls onto the pavement on your way home and is lost forever.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2252
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I've been lurking on this site to get a sense of how the MTS is playing out in real time. So far so fantastic it seems.

Question: most folks seem to be riding it like a superbike, which sounds awesome fun, but does anyone actually take it off road? I don't expect it to do what a GS does, but who's going to put knobbies on a Ducati? But what have people actually found they can ride on off road? What about you ex-GS ers, do you miss the dirt?

I think I'd be terrified of scratching the thing. A GS is designed to be dropped, What happens to a MTS when you have an off. Dare I ask?
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #2253
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
I think I'd be terrified of scratching the thing. A GS is designed to be dropped, What happens to a MTS when you have an off. Dare I ask?
Well, it could look like this!!!!!! But in all honestly the chap riding this bike was going pretty fast if I recall.

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #2254
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
You mean like this?

Surprisingly little, although the $$$ can add up. My test-ride tip-over (I was stationary at the time) cracked the right handguard, which needed replacing. Absolutely no bodywork damage.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #2255
r12gsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Straight off idle my MTS1200 pulls harder than my 1098 (stock except Arrow titanium slip-ons, probably comparable power). At the top end of the rev range the 1098 does pull harder, but the midrange where I ride the most (most riders do) the Multi is more flexible and has a fatter power delivery.

The biggest advantage I feel the 1098 has is aerodynamic, and the riding position starts working badly against the Multi at over 100mph. No question that the 1098 pulls stronger when you get near the redline, but I don't feel it's a night/day difference.

I'm more comfortable, and faster, on my Multi, mostly because I've spent most of the past twenty years riding more GS's than superbikes, and that riding position feels more natural to me. The DCT on the Multi gives a certain safety net that I don't have with the 1098, so I tend to get harder on the power, earlier in the corners. I've honestly not touched my 1098 since December, and I've been toying with the idea of selling it to make space for a Diavel. I really hate to part with the 1098 for what they're worth today (maybe $10k?) because it has literally been a flawless motorcycle, and it's still a joy to see everytime I step into the garage.
Ok thanks for the reply and setting my curiosity straight. Re possibly selling your 1098 !! I px'd my 1198S to buy my new MTS 1200. It's too soon to say if I am confident I made the right move but I can say that I now ride on other roads that I wouldn't have done on the 1198. The 1198 was so focused and tightly suspended that anything other than smooth tarmac was hard work where as the Multi creams it.

I have also owned 2 GS 1200's and a 1000 VStom so I am well used to the riding position and I like it for it's relaxed style. I do still feel that the MTS 1200 is noticeably underpowered compared to the 1198S (and yes I have it in sport mode).

Underpowered is probably not the right terminology as the MTS clearly is n't under powered maybe more civilised and tame is a better phrase. The main difference I have noticed is that where conditions allow (Isle of Man) which is most of the time I ride the MTS a fair bit on the throttle stop whereas I never had the 1198S on it's stop as it would have killed me and or ran out bottle. The truth is I could not ride the 1198 any where near it's full potential but I have found myself asking for more out of the MTS and this is where I feel the very slight disappointment. Most of the time though it has plenty and I guess if I lived in the UK with oppressive speed limits everywhere then it's power would easily be ample.

As a matter of interest anyone coming over on there Multi for TT?
r12gsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #2256
r12gsman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
@r12gsman maybe you were in enduro mode instead of sport
HO ho hilarious. Interestingly I haven't bothered toggling between modes recently since the novelty wore off after the first few miles. It just stays in sport.

If I need the bike to be tamer I just exercise some restraint with my right wrist and I would not entertain off roading this bike other than light trails so I won't need to knock it down to 100hp. I also managed the 1198S in the rain okay so again I do not feel I have any use for urban mode either.

I do like the facility to be able to alter the pre load on the fly, i.e pillion plus luggage etc. I tend to ride with the solo + luggage setting for normal riding then when I want to really wind the wick up I switch to rider + pillion to firm things right up. Not having to do this manually is a real boon.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #2257
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
I've been lurking on this site to get a sense of how the MTS is playing out in real time. So far so fantastic it seems.

Question: most folks seem to be riding it like a superbike, which sounds awesome fun, but does anyone actually take it off road? I don't expect it to do what a GS does, but who's going to put knobbies on a Ducati? But what have people actually found they can ride on off road? What about you ex-GS ers, do you miss the dirt?

A GS isn't "designed to be dropped" any more than any other bike. If you don't put protective bars on it, a decent bash plate, and have metal boxes (or heavy duty soft bags) on the sides, you will cause as much or more damage to a GS as you would to the Multi.

Do people take them off-road? Yep! There are lots of Youtube vids (including vids from Ducati!) showing the bike being ridden in the dirt (and even one knucklehead taking it on some single track in CO). One guy stuck a TKC 80 on the back of his Multi and took it through the desert. I think he was nuts because the TKC 80 is really too narrow for the Duc rear wheel (standard on the MTS is a 190, and the widest TKC 80 is a 150!!!), but he survived. Yet another guy is doing an around-the-world trip on a MTS.

Bottom line, if you are going to do some serious off-road with this bike, the ONLY limitation is the choice of tires (but I hear that's being addressed by at least one manufacturer....keep your eye on the Avon web site... ). Put the same protection on it that you would put on a GS, and go play in the dirt (check out AltRider and TwistedThrottle for protection bars, side bags, etc). The only "extra" bit I'd do to the MTS vs. a GS is to replace the stock hand guards/turn signals with the kit (from Touratech??? can't remember where I saw it) that uses a more typical wrap-around metal/plastic guard and moves the turn signals to a safer spot.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2258
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

[QUOTE=r12gsman;15592912] If I need the bike to be tamer I just exercise some restraint with my right wrist and I would not entertain off roading this bike other than light trails so I won't need to knock it down to 100hp. I also managed the 1198S in the rain okay so again I do not feel I have any use for urban mode either.
QUOTE]

I find the urban mode quite useful for really pocked up roads. I've given up on the 100hp setting, and have set urban to 150 low. In addition, I use the Urban mode as my rain mode and have upped the DTC all the way to its most sensitive setting. I find my self in touring mode most of the time which I upped to 150 high and sport mode I only use if I'm ripping up some really fast back roads. Overall, I find myself using the DES modes quite a bit.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #2259
r12gsman
Adventurer

[QUOTE=fixinbones;15593495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r12gsman View Post
If I need the bike to be tamer I just exercise some restraint with my right wrist and I would not entertain off roading this bike other than light trails so I won't need to knock it down to 100hp. I also managed the 1198S in the rain okay so again I do not feel I have any use for urban mode either.
QUOTE]

I find the urban mode quite useful for really pocked up roads. I've given up on the 100hp setting, and have set urban to 150 low. In addition, I use the Urban mode as my rain mode and have upped the DTC all the way to its most sensitive setting. I find my self in touring mode most of the time which I upped to 150 high and sport mode I only use if I'm ripping up some really fast back roads. Overall, I find myself using the DES modes quite a bit.
You have taken full advantage of the bikes custom settings to suit your own requirements. I have yet to get to grips with delving into the settings but given that there is a reset option I don't really have any excuse other than a bit of time.

How complicated/frustrating was it to get DES set up for your own preferences?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #2260
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

[QUOTE=r12gsman;15593545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post

You have taken full advantage of the bikes custom settings to suit your own requirements. I have yet to get to grips with delving into the settings but given that there is a reset option I don't really have any excuse other than a bit of time.

How complicated/frustrating was it to get DES set up for your own preferences?
Its not that bad as long as you don't try to program changes into every load and mode option. I only use the single rider and two up rider setups in the load selection portion so I only changed the DES in these two load settings. You can select a different setup for every combo of load (ie rider, rider w/ bags, 2 riders, 2 riders w/. bags) and mode (sport, urban, touring, and enduro) That would drive a person crazy. Since I tend to like my suspension a tad softer than the average person I just decreased the front and rear rebound and damping settings together, incrementally, by 1 number at a time until I was happy with the comfort. I did this for each mode sport, touring, and urban (I will never used enduro so I left that alone) and for single and two up loads. I think I also decreased the rear shock preload by one number in sport and touring. Sure I could fiddle for days and days with this. The idea is to dial it in quickly and simply and don't get carried away. The suspension is setup so good out of the box that most people probably wont even need to make adjustments. just my .02

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #2261
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 969
WTB White 2011 S

I've been drooling over these for far too many lost nights of sleep, and am ready to bite the bullet and wanted to ask for a bit of advice/help.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and looking around for a good price on a 2011 S in white. I'm willing to travel a few hundred miles for the right deal.

Thanks in advance for the help! Feel free to PM if not comfortable discussing on the forum.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #2262
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,131
Get a test ride on a demo, this will really mess up your sleep pattern!

As for me, I lean towards the touring end of the spectrum.

llamapacker screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 07:28 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #2263
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
I've been drooling over these for far too many lost nights of sleep, and am ready to bite the bullet and wanted to ask for a bit of advice/help.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and looking around for a good price on a 2011 S in white. I'm willing to travel a few hundred miles for the right deal.

Thanks in advance for the help! Feel free to PM if not comfortable discussing on the forum.
I just bought the one my local dealer has.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #2264
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I found out the other day that when you leave with the key in the unlock seat position, the dash will show no key.
Second ride I found that out. Hooray for me being a dumbass. Went looking for the key, all frantic.

(This since I've owned the thing less than a week, and the bike is back home and I, I am in Orey-gun MILES AND MILES AWAY)
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #2265
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
I think what you are going to find is these are selling for MSRP here. Not sure if that fits your "good deal" idea or not. I can recommend either The Motor Cafe or Hattar Motorsports. I bought mine at The Motor Cafe, and another inmate here got his at Hattar. Both of our experiences were very good. YMMV, etc.

And congrats on the impending purchase! Your driving record will never be the same..... (FYI, 70->100mph happens REALLY fast.... )

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote