Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #2281
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com View Post
I still think the MS 1200 is a piece of art. I only need some "finishing" touches to get my MS 1200 killer rolling ;-)

Yes! Get that RC8R powered KTM Adventure going to give an example to what KTM should be building.

I love the MTS1200 on paper, but in person it is a bit wonky looking and too small for me. A KTM RC8R powered Adventure would be the perfect option. The MTS needs some Austrian competition!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #2282
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
I think 200 mile tanks are no problem ridden sanely and if you know where your stations are.

going back and forth on bags, how are people liking the 73L DP bags?
I can routinely get 200 miles to a tank, even 2up on backroads.

I really like the 73L bags, as I never put them on unless on a short trip or 2up, so never used the standard size.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #2283
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I ordered the 73L bags today. At least I will have matching keys!

Only way I could be sure to have them work with the top bag rack.

Should be nice for touring. Probably need a different solution for adventure.

I filled up at 192 miles today with 1/2 gallon to spare. Half highway/half back road carving and dirt roads.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #2284
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I am goober...

I read my gauges wrong. Didn't realize that there was an average speed inidicator thrown in there. 47 avg mph is a little depressing perhaps.

Anyway, looks like I get around 39 mpg average with a pretty heavy throttle hand.

I like the KTM Adventures but, after my experiences with my 690, I will never buy a bike from that company again. I feel that they do not take care of business - even when it impacts their customers safety. Just my opinion. I have been impressed with how proactive Ducati is about recalls and service bulletins.

Michael
Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #2285
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,523
high beam... am I dumb or is it broken

From what I gather from the manual... I should be using the high beam flash button to engage my high beams? My button is momentary and as soon as I release it, it goes back to low beam. WTF? How do I get my high beam to stay on?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #2286
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
From what I gather from the manual... I should be using the high beam flash button to engage my high beams? My button is momentary and as soon as I release it, it goes back to low beam. WTF? How do I get my high beam to stay on?
The switch moves two ways. Pull like a trigger for momentary operation. Push down to toggle the brights on and off.

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #2287
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
can anyone tell me how this rides in comparison with an R12GS on the highways with the stock screen? Reason why I'm asking is my 06 R12gs buffets me around like crazy in any position. I'm only 6'1" and was curious as to the how the stock screen and fairings work.

Also how is this thing 2 up? My wife is not a svelte women being 5'7 and arond 150 or so, can anyone give any feedback?

Infallible screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 02:14 AM
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #2288
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

I get blown all over the place but I only had it since January so all my riding has been spring/winter with winds. I can't tuck down behind it like I could on my VTR, but it seems to keep rain/mud off better, so I assume it works better in head on conditions. I haven't tried a bike with the larger style wind protection to know the difference. I am 6'2"

My wife is 5'9" or so, and 160. As far as I can tell she likes riding on it. (She may not admit she doesn't as I only went with the Multi as she liked it better then everything except the GSA which I thought was too spendy)

You don't have much room to move around 2 up, but the seating position is comfortable. I did get a set of airhawks since the restricted windflow and movement of 2up created hot spots. We rode a couple hours last weekend and they seemed to help. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to ride through a tank without stopping on the highway. It is akward to load 2up with the top box. On my VTR she could got on easily, on this bike I really need to be planted as she can't swing her leg over the top box.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #2289
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
can anyone tell me how this rides in comparison with an R12GS on the highways with the stock screen? Reason why I'm asking is my 06 R12gs buffets me around like crazy in any position. I'm only 6'1" and was curious as to the how the stock screen and fairings work.
The Multi is a breezier bike than the GS comparing stock screen to stock screen. The good news for both bikes is there are lots of options. For my GS it was the Adventure winglets and a ZTechnik screen. For the Multi, I've cured a lot of the wind noise/buffeting with $10 in hardware from my local hardware store by moving the stock screen out away from the mounting bracket by about 1" (eliminates the back pressure and provides nice calm air to the rider). Other solutions for the Multi that work for peeps is the Palmer Products bracket (seems to be the winner for pretty much everyone), the MRA Vario Touring screen, or a Laminar Lip (this did not work at all for me....sent it back). I think a DIY Madstad would also do the trick. YMMV, etc.

Re. the fairing, the GS (standard model) is a bit wider at the tank than the Multi, so between that and the cylinder heads sticking out, the GS provides a little better wind protection for the legs (but the difference IMO is very small). For the record, I'm 6' 0" w/ 33" inseam.

I highly recommend heading to your nearest Ducati dealer and taking a Multi out for a test ride. Just leave your checkbook at home or it could be the most expensive test ride you've ever taken....don't ask me how I know this...

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #2290
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I will second the checkbook advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Just leave your checkbook at home or it could be the most expensive test ride you've ever taken....don't ask me how I know this... -SM
I will second that! Went to the dealer to grab some oil. Walked out with a MTS instead. It was that right hand sweeper at 80mph on the demo back that did it...

I am 6'4" and have the Palmer solution. Works great for me and solves the buffeting problem I had. I am currently using it with the stock screen.

Yesterday was one of the first sunny days in a while in the Seattle area. So much damn fun. I just switched modes depending on road type and mood. Amazing how much difference they make.

mfaoro screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 09:42 AM
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #2291
anonny
What could go wrong?

Thanks Rad Fish

I looked hard at moving the windscreen forward but don't have longer bolts, anyone know their thread pitch? (there fine pitch)

Anyways it looks like it would be an easy solution to put some stiff hose (or pipe) over the upper mounting stands and just use longer mount bolts. I threw the Touratech windscreen extender off my 1200 GS on the Multistrada and it helps.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #2292
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Thanks Rad Fish

I looked hard at moving the windscreen forward but don't have longer bolts, anyone know their thread pitch? (there fine pitch)

Anyways it looks like it would be an easy solution to put some stiff hose (or pipe) over the upper mounting stands and just use longer mount bolts. I threw the Touratech windscreen extender off my 1200 GS on the Multistrada and it helps.
M5, .80, then pick length...I tried 30, 40, and 50mm.

I used rigid plastic tubing with an ID just larger than the bolt. I also purchased "Bonnet packing" (looks like a thick rubber washer) from the plumbing dept with an ID = the plastic tubing OD. I cut the rigid tubing to length (I tried 30mm, 40mm, and 50mm), slid the "washers" over the tubing to make the standoff (40mm for the 2 top mounting points, 30mm for the bottom to make the screen a bit more upright), and bolted the screen back on. It's as stable as stock, and now there's no buffeting and much less wind noise. I can have my face shield open at 75 on the freeway and I get a nice smooth breeze in my face.

Check out my post over on http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/ (I use the same screen name over there). Somewhere I posted the list of parts, complete with pics, just do a search and it should come up pretty quickly.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #2293
anonny
What could go wrong?

Howz about the 2 little micro switches (in the steering lock area) that move every time you turn the bars.... what are they there for?

Anyone know how to change the display from kilometers to miles? We often go south of the border and it would be handy to be able to change this.

Today I got to put a couple hundred kilometers on it.... wow..

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #2294
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

The switches are for the steering lock, and potentially the traction control? I am not sure on the second part, but definitely the first. As far as the units, I don't recall seeing it in the manual.

Is my dealer the only one that didn't allow test rides? I ASS-umed that US moto dealers didn't allow test rides (since all my American buys were there, I bought a couple of bikes including the one of the XLs, the KLX and the KLR in Calgary)

Too snowy to ride here today, warmer but more precip tomorrow, maybe next weekend.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #2295
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Great info, the only thing holding me back at this point is convincing the wife that it would make a decent 2 up riding machine. She didn't care for my Aprilia Falco at all and she's worried by the vids and pics that it will cramped like that was. I'll have to bring her along to a dealership evidently. She loved the seating position of the R12GS, but I love the sound and soul of a Ducati.....
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote