Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #2311
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
And who cares, this shows that the Multistrada can handle this type of riding. No one ever said the Multi will replace your WR or KTM Enduro. Doesn't Multistrada mean "multi road". And yes I'd agree, that's a road.

I don't disagree with you. However, any bike can handle this type of riding, provided the ground clearance is adequate and the riding position is suitable.
My original comment was directed at a previous comment on the multi being a damn good off-roader based on that video. What I am trying to say, is that this is not impressive to me.

But this is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DuzXcQ4qM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #2312
testa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Looks like a good way to thrash a $20000 bike. I tend to stay on pavement or very mild gravel with my multi; I have a ktm enduro for gnarly roads and true off road. I'd cry if I dropped the multi.
testa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #2313
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I don't disagree with you. However, any bike can handle this type of riding, provided the ground clearance is adequate and the riding position is suitable.
Yeah, a good rider can ride that with about any bike. I've seen people doing similar terrain with VFRs. Crazy, but they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
When you get it down to the original speed (and not the sped up video) it's probably also quite less impressive.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #2314
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa View Post
Looks like a good way to thrash a $20000 bike. I tend to stay on pavement or very mild gravel with my multi; I have a ktm enduro for gnarly roads and true off road. I'd cry if I dropped the multi.
Big trailies, no matter the brand, end up costing well over $20k, so aren't people "thrashing" $20,000 (and more) bikes all the time in the form of farkled BMW GS, GSA, KTM Adventure, etc?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #2315
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Big trailies, no matter the brand, end up costing well over $20k, so aren't people "thrashing" $20,000 (and more) bikes all the time in the form of farkled BMW GS, GSA, KTM Adventure, etc?

-SM
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #2316
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

-SM

Yep, but those bikes are more suited/designed/built for thrashing in the dirt.

Multi owners trade loss of "thrashability" off the pavement for increased "stupidability" on the pavement.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2317
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
Yep, but those bikes are more suited/designed/built for thrashing in the dirt.

Multi owners trade loss of "thrashability" off the pavement for increased "stupidability" on the pavement.
So what are the stupidabilities of the Multi?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #2318
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig View Post
So what are the stupidabilities of the Multi?

For me, its somewhere around 6k on the tach. The thing is stupid fast. If I'm not real careful I'm going to get a reminder from they guys with blue lights to keep my right wrist under control.

I've never had a liter sport bike so the multi is in a whole new class compared to all the riding I've done in the past.

Edit: Liter sport bike.......Hell, I've never had a sport bike, period. I love it.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #2319
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,451
That Multi video is a good demo for the Scorpion Trail tires. There doesn't seem to anything better in those sizes, from what I have read.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #2320
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Ducati Experience Demo Ride

Hi all,

I participated in the Ducati Experience Demo ride earlier today where I was a part of a 40 min group ride on a pearl white MTS1200S touring and then another 40 mins on a Diavel Carbon edition.

To get this out of the way the Diavel is not my bike at all. While its' performance, handling and braking are surprisingly good the riding posture and the rigid suspension were not my cup of tea.

Now to the good part. The MTS blew my mind in every imaginable way. There was not a single thing that bothered me even a tiny bit during our ride. The seat comfort was perfect, wind protection more than adequate, handling and performance - oh my God!

Anyway, there has been millions of praises to the bike already so I will not repeat them all. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions to the current MTS owners here:

1. I tried standing up on the pegs and the heel of my left foot kept touching something. At the next stop I checked it out and it was a center stand. Do you guys have the same issues? Or it's just the case of my big feet?

2. I tried the screen (stock) in the lowest and the highest positions and felt no real visible difference. Both worked well though not ideal for me. I felt no wind buffeting with either one. I am 6' tall. Does that sound about right? Or you do feel a difference, and if yes then what is it?

3. Given the multitude of settings on the S and S touring versions (4 riding modes, rider+passenger+luggage and a ton of manual suspension options) how often do you change them? Or you end up finding that sweet spot that works for you and keep your Multi in that one?

4. Even though the new MTS is a hell of a bike I can't help comparing it to my current bike - the MTS 1100S. To me it seemed like the new one is obviously more versatile and overall is a better bike. The thing is though that I didn't feel that it was MUCH better than the 1100S. Yes, it did have a slightly better wind protection. Yes it did have a slightly better seat. Obviously there is more power. But do I really need all that power etc. I guess the 4th and the toughest question is - if anyone of you moved to the new MTS from the 1100 or the 1100S did you end up feeling that you got a MUCH better bike than the one you had?

Thanks in advance

Sideout.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #2321
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Hi all,

I participated in the Ducati Experience Demo ride earlier today where I was a part of a 40 min group ride on a pearl white MTS1200S touring and then another 40 mins on a Diavel Carbon edition.
Check out my reply to this over on the Duc board.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #2322
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Just did. Thanks. I did post the same questions on here, ducati.ms and multistrada.net forums

Quote:
Check out my reply to this over on the Duc board.

-SM

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #2323
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
1. I tried standing up on the pegs and the heel of my left foot kept touching something. At the next stop I checked it out and it was a center stand. Do you guys have the same issues? Or it's just the case of my big feet?

2. I tried the screen (stock) in the lowest and the highest positions and felt no real visible difference. Both worked well though not ideal for me. I felt no wind buffeting with either one. I am 6' tall. Does that sound about right? Or you do feel a difference, and if yes then what is it?

3. Given the multitude of settings on the S and S touring versions (4 riding modes, rider+passenger+luggage and a ton of manual suspension options) how often do you change them? Or you end up finding that sweet spot that works for you and keep your Multi in that one?

4. Even though the new MTS is a hell of a bike I can't help comparing it to my current bike - the MTS 1100S. To me it seemed like the new one is obviously more versatile and overall is a better bike. The thing is though that I didn't feel that it was MUCH better than the 1100S. Yes, it did have a slightly better wind protection. Yes it did have a slightly better seat. Obviously there is more power. But do I really need all that power etc. I guess the 4th and the toughest question is - if anyone of you moved to the new MTS from the 1100 or the 1100S did you end up feeling that you got a MUCH better bike than the one you had?
1. Everyone's feet hit the center stand. I've gotten used to it. It's not as easy to ride on the balls of you feet. There are some mods that eliminate this.

2. For me there's only a slight difference between the two hieghts. I went with a laminar lip to help the buffeting.

3. Sorry I have a standard, no electrontic suspension. However, I do use the different engine maps, mostly to keep myself from getting stupid while commuting, use a lower power setting. When I'm heading out of town I either use touring or sport, depending on the intensions.

4. Sorry I've never ridden an older MTS.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #2324
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
It sounds like your foot was hitting the tang for the centerstand, which is a common issue. My bike is a Sport, and I don't have, or miss having, a centerstand. Just one less thing to remove when changing the oil, or touch down in a corner.

I'm 5'11", and didn't notice much difference when I changed the stock screen height, but I switched to the MRA Vario screen, which I find a noticeable improvement over the stock screen.

I change the suspension setting all the time on rides. For freeway riding I like Touring mode, which softens things up a bit and makes the bike much less dodgy when it's windy as compared to Sport. There is quite a dramatic difference in the feel of the bike when it's windy and I change modes. I have modified the Urban mode to allow full-power, and that's how I ride it around town. In twisty stuff with a smooth road surface I switch to Sport, which I have modified to be slightly stiffer than the default settings. I rarely take it off pavement, but when I have I switch to Enduro. The suspension isn't a gimmick at all, but very useful.

I had an '09 Multi 1100S, which is a nice bike, but it doesn't compare to the 1200. The turn-in and handling on the 1200 is much sharper, and of course the difference in power is night and day. I find the wind protection better on the 1200, and the bike is more comfortable and a bit roomier for me. DCT and ABS are a huge plus, and the DCT especially makes the bike very forgiving and lets you get aggressively on the power early in the corners. About the only advantage the 1100 has is that the engine heat isn't as bad as the 1200, and I actually prefer the looks of my 1100, which was also pearl white. The 1100 had a few things that made me crazy, like the location of the ignition switch and the difficulty in removing the seat/bodywork. I doubt anybody would have ever bought the old Multistrada if they saw what it took to remove the seat beforehand, which was pure insanity! If ever dropped anything down the front of the ignition switch area (like a key!) the chances of finding it were astronomically low.

If you can live without a centerstand, get the Sport 1200S. It's much cheaper to buy the hard cases than it is to add all of the Sport carbon fiber bits to the Touring model, and I think the carbon pieces make the bike look a lot nicer.

In short, I don't miss my 1100 at all, and after nearly 3k on my 1200 I haven't really found anything that really bugs me about it. The electronic steering lock is a complete puzzle that seems to work at random, but it's probably my lack of understanding of the operation.

Quote:
Hi all,

To get this out of the way the Diavel is not my bike at all. While its' performance, handling and braking are surprisingly good the riding posture and the rigid suspension were not my cup of tea.

Now to the good part. The MTS blew my mind in every imaginable way. There was not a single thing that bothered me even a tiny bit during our ride. The seat comfort was perfect, wind protection more than adequate, handling and performance - oh my God!

Anyway, there has been millions of praises to the bike already so I will not repeat them all. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions to the current MTS owners here:

Thanks in advance

Sideout.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #2325
bigdog1807
Miles Craven

Oddometer: 135
Adv bags for 05 Multistrada

Jumped in on this thread hoping someone could help out on their experiences, good and bad, with hard cases for a '12 Alaska trip. Thanks.
bigdog1807 is offline   Reply With Quote