Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #2371
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
the steering lock should disengage when the bike is fired up ( as in the electronics) and the dash comes on - however if there is "tension" on the lock pin it will not disengage

To remedy this put some pressure on the bars in the direction they are turned when locked to " unload" the pin - this has worked form me

Sorry about the drop, it does give you that "my high school girlfriend broke up with me just before prom" feeling

I wouldn't worry about the pannier, mine have proved pretty durable, but the piece the pannier mounts into is easy to break - I've tested this in a deer strike and two off road drops

I hope your bike gets sorted, this lock thing should be pretty straightforward, just wait till you get the dreaded "DES preload error"
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #2372
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
There was a recall specifically for the steering lock not disengaging. It's a software fix. You should have gotten a notice for that a couple months ago. I got mine done.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #2373
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
There was a recall specifically for the steering lock not disengaging. It's a software fix.
I am no technophobe, but steering lock controlled with software... f#*k that! That is some scary stuff. What happened to Butcher is crappy, but very minor in terms of potential catastrophes!!!!????

That sounds like a poorly designed system if it is even possible to have the engine running and the steering lock engaged. Just that alone would make me want an old school key or just remove the steering lock altogether. Yikes.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #2374
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
There was a recall specifically for the steering lock not disengaging. It's a software fix. You should have gotten a notice for that a couple months ago. I got mine done.
this is true, but what I said still applies - if there is mechanical drag on the pin it will not disengage
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #2375
The Butcher
spaghetti bender

Oddometer: 90
Thanks guys. Have not received a recall notice. I bought the bike new in March and was told all the "fixes" had been done. I'm off to see the dealer now. Will report on the outcome later.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #2376
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Good luck! That sucks. I never use my steering lock for fear of it not working properly.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #2377
The Butcher
spaghetti bender

Got all the parts ordered (cheaper than I thought, but I'm sure labor is another story). Dealer is contacting Ducati and is going to get back to me.

Doug, thanks for the heads up on the recall. I did a Google search for it and came up with a lot of info. I would suggest to anyone who hasn't received a notice about the recall to Google "multistrada steering lock recall".
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #2378
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,119
Like Dave.O says, pretty easy to check for the pin to disengage. I just wiggle the steering some when turning on the ignition and it will make a loud click when it retracts, plus you can see the pin.

Sorry for your drop.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #2379
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Was parked on a raised area next to the road/driveway in front of a cottage i had rented for the night. To turn around I simply had to turn to the left and drop down a slight incline (15*or so) to the road/driveway. I started the bike and let it warm up while I geared up. I hopped on it, put it in gear and drove off the incline and made it to the driveway. When I attempted to straighten the bars i realized the steering lock was still engaged and over she went. I had noticed a few times before that the lock remained engaged after "key-on" and would have to cycle it twice to disengage it and was going to have it looked at when I got home but completely spaced it out this time.
Isn't the lock supposed to disengaged at "key-on" each time or have i just not been paying close attention? Has this happened to anyone else?
Needless to say, I feel like shit. Scraped up right side pannier, mangled bar-end, and broken hand guard. Not to mention a mangled, broken steering lock that no longer functions. I managed to push the pin in enough to get the bars to turn to make it the 250 miles home. The display kept reading "lock error" so I wound up having to take the battery out of the key and start via my PIN code. I have a bad feeling this isn't going to be a cheap repair bill. I already feel like an asshole, so if this somehow my own fault, please keep the critisism to a minimum.
That sucks, sorry to hear about it.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what happened. When I engage the steering lock the bars have to be turned almost to full lock in one direction or the other. I can't imagine trying to start riding with the bars at full lock in one direction and not realizing it.

This isn't criticism, (I know that I'd be really pissed at myself and Ducati if I dropped my bike like you did) I just dont understand how you started off the the bars locked and didn' know it.

Oh and a little advice, have them check to see if your bike needs the "hands free" recall done while your getting this other snafu fixed (save a trip to the dealer). Make sure they order all the parts for the hands free recall.... my dealer missed the part about needing to order a new ecm as part of the recall so they couldn't complete the job and I'm going to need to take it back a second time to get it done.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #2380
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
It only takes thousands of an inch movement of the handle bars to balance a bike. I can start out on a bike near full lock. I practice it a lot. If you move the handle bars much you are doing it wrong. Always look up.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #2381
The Butcher
spaghetti bender

[QUOTE=SayItAintSo;16236549]That sucks, sorry to hear about it.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what happened. When I engage the steering lock the bars have to be turned almost to full lock in one direction or the other. I can't imagine trying to start riding with the bars at full lock in one direction and not realizing it.

I was parked between two sets of stairs and had to cut sharp to the left to get out. As soon as I cleared the stairs there was a slight drop to the driveway which caused me to pick up momentum. Then came that split second where the front tire is on the lower ground and you rear tire is still on the higher ground and your feet can't reach any ground. Thats when I had to straighten the front and realized it was locked and I hit the brake and attempted to put my foot down. Or something to that effect. It happened pretty quick. To make a long story short, I had no reason to turn the bars any other direction than sharp left so I didn't notice they were locked. Guess I was used to my old bike with the traditional "manual" key lock and just spaced it out.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #2382
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,696
if there is a recall on the mechanism that caused your off.

why would you not have the dealer/manufacturer cover all repairs caused by the issue?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #2383
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,119
Sounds like a pretty tall story to me. Can't imagine anyone taking off on a bike with the fork locked all the way left or right, you might try a three wheeler next time, much safer.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #2384
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
At 12 183' on the highest continuous road in the United States. (Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn National Park, Colorado)

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #2385
Vito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Rear tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Get a test ride on a demo, this will really mess up your sleep pattern!

As for me, I lean towards the touring end of the spectrum.

I'm familiar with your rear tire, is it a Michelin Pilot road? How much does the oem Pirelli rear last? Thanks!
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote