User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #2386
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Great MTS12 review

I'm going to pull this linky over from another thread since it has a hellova lot more to do with the Multistrada than the Yamaha Super Tenere.

Very funny review, and IMO very good review of the MTS12.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 01:26 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #2387
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
[QUOTE=Vito;16264619]I'm familiar with your rear tire, is it a Michelin Pilot road? How much does the oem Pirelli rear last? Thanks![/QUOTE

I think most people are getting around 5000 miles on the OEM scorpion trail back tire and maybe twice as long on the front. You can also burn them up in 1500 miles if you try. I just took off my third back tire and are in the process of mounting the fourth. I like the tire fine for the grip and wet weather handling - but I have had to replace 2 prematurely because I got flats that could not be repaired. Not really punctures, but slices. Maybe its a coincidence but I think not. I'm going to mount some Dunlop 616s and give them a try. I was wondering if anyone else thought the pirelli scorpions were "flat prone"
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #2388
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Ducati wins PPIHC again!

Just in case you missed it this past weekend:

http://www.ducati.com/news/ducati_wi.../2153/index.do

They also set a new course record for a motorcycle.

I really like this part:
"Dunne, owner of Ducati Santa Barbara in California, took the checkered flag on his store's showroom demo bike."

-SM
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #2389
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
[QUOTE=Dave.0;16265010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I'm familiar with your rear tire, is it a Michelin Pilot road? How much does the oem Pirelli rear last? Thanks![/QUOTE

I think most people are getting around 5000 miles on the OEM scorpion trail back tire and maybe twice as long on the front. You can also burn them up in 1500 miles if you try. I just took off my third back tire and are in the process of mounting the fourth. I like the tire fine for the grip and wet weather handling - but I have had to replace 2 prematurely because I got flats that could not be repaired. Not really punctures, but slices. Maybe its a coincidence but I think not. I'm going to mount some Dunlop 616s and give them a try. I was wondering if anyone else thought the pirelli scorpions were "flat prone"
Lost my first PS at 4100 miles (4200 by the time I replaced it). Not sure what tore it, probably a rock. I don't think they are very good tires. I am going to do a Distanzia front next, (have a Pilot Road rear right now) with hopes Avon makes a wider rear.... If not, the Pilots seems ok, or might try the 616s

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal

Ramv screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 10:25 PM
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #2390
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Great review, although you can see how soft the stock suspension is. I disagree a little on the dash. The tach isn't much to write home about but everything else on it is great. (Including the shift light).

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #2391
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
I've been admiring the Multistrada for a while now ... so today I had a short test ride to see if I really was interested.

Result ... it wasn't as good as I thought it would be .... it was much better!

What a lovely bike ... feels like it weighs far less than it does, is really manageable, has a great turning circle, totally civilised in urban mode, full 150 horsepower is "impressive", very comfortable riding position.

I'd say its biggest fault would be that it could easily suck you into thinking its just a big pussycat ... and I think it probably deserves a lot of respect if you want to live for a lot longer!

One day I want one of these!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #2392
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I've been admiring the Multistrada for a while now ... so today I had a short test ride to see if I really was interested.

Result ... it wasn't as good as I thought it would be .... it was much better!

What a lovely bike ... feels like it weighs far less than it does, is really manageable, has a great turning circle, totally civilised in urban mode, full 150 horsepower is "impressive", very comfortable riding position.

I'd say its biggest fault would be that it could easily suck you into thinking its just a big pussycat ... and I think it probably deserves a lot of respect if you want to live for a lot longer!

One day I want one of these!
The nice thing is if you ride around at below 6000 rpm, it is a big torqey feline. 2 up is very manageable, but you always have power on tap for a pass. You do have to be a little careful (2up anyway) to keep the front down.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #2393
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Gas tank?

Quick question, what's the gas tank on the Multistrada made out of? Is it the same plastic as the Monsters etc. Just wondering if the Multi's will experience the same tank swelling as the Monsters have been.

Not trolling, I've been seriously looking at the new Monster Evo after riding my wife's Street Triple R and liking it, I'm trying to decide between the Speed Triple or Monster. The ongoing tank issues with the Monster have me leaning towards the Speed Triple. But then I keep coming back to this bloody Multistrada.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #2394
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,139
[QUOTE=Dave.0;16265010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I'm familiar with your rear tire, is it a Michelin Pilot road? How much does the oem Pirelli rear last? Thanks![/QUOTE

Mine was flat prone as well. I had too replace my Pirelli after 3500 miles but it was almost gone anyway. My second Pirelli was gone at 3800 miles. The front was absolutely bald...

I am now on Pilot Road 3's and love them. Should get 4500- 5000 miles out of them.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #2395
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Quick question, what's the gas tank on the Multistrada made out of? Is it the same plastic as the Monsters etc. Just wondering if the Multi's will experience the same tank swelling as the Monsters have been.
But then I keep coming back to this bloody Multistrada.
I don't know if the tank "is the same plastic as the Monster", but I do know 1) it's plastic....really heavy duty, super thick plastic, and 2) the Multi 1200 has been out for 1.5 years now and I've not heard of a single issue with the tank swelling.

So....have you taken the Multi out for a test ride yet?

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 02:21 PM
Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #2396
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I don't know if the tank "is the same plastic as the Monster", but I do know 1) it's plastic....really heavy duty, super thick plastic, and 2) the Multi 1200 has been out for 1.5 years now and I've not heard of a single issue with the tank swelling.

So....have you taken the Multi out for a test ride yet?

-SM
Not yet, our local, (well local to me was 2 hours away) Ducati dealer closed last year. A new one has opened but haven't had a chance to ride up there yet.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #2397
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Just in case you missed it this past weekend:
Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #2398
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,879
Great video, now I want to buy one, not that I didn't before. Obviously I would have to change the panniers, the windscreen and tires, just like the Tenere.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #2399
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

I have rode from 5000' to 12000' repeatedly. We also get poor gas (Ethanl :() No problems with the fuel tank. I don't think we will see any issues. They seem very stout. All my last legal speed tanks have got me over 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on too. Even 2 up. If you are easy on it, 250 miles/tank is doable 1 up.

I just wish the aftermarket would bring out a nice 80/20 rear tire for it.

I will add, this is the best riding motor I have ever been on. It just works. I dare say "perfect" Best part of the bike. I would change other things, but the motor is awesome.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2400
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
Yeah....Greg didn't fare so well this year. But Carlin totally rocked the showroom queen!

-SM