User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #2461
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
too many clean bikes here

just a little shot after a little ill advised off road excursion - its was going really well up to this point, but isn't that always the case. Corner, sand, lack of talent - you get the idea.
Attached Images

Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #2462
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
ouch

Dave O, I hope you and the bike didn't experience any damage. I would think it's a hoss in the sand, heck, my Tiger is a hoss in sand.
Well, look at the brightest side, at least you've got a pretty white Multi in your garage....I'm saving my pennies for one, hopefully in the spring.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #2463
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
just a little shot after a little ill advised off road excursion - its was going really well up to this point, but isn't that always the case. Corner, sand, lack of talent - you get the idea.
Dave, meet Dr. Greg. He may be able to help you sort out any repairs that you'll be making as he blazed the "broken Multi bits due to crash(es) in soft stuff" trail.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #2464
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

loaded up at white sands, nm

I do keep it upright occasionally
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #2465
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
loaded up at white sands, nm
Why do they call it White Sands ?

Damn, sunglasses would be a requirement !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #2466
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,153
I'm trying to FORGET that incident...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Dave, meet Dr. Greg. He may be able to help you sort out any repairs that you'll be making as he blazed the "broken Multi bits due to crash(es) in soft stuff" trail.

-SM
Humph. You would bring that up...

Seriously, the MTS1200 is---of course---difficult to manage in sand (even worse in silt, my preferred road condition). Luckily in such situations one USUALLY isn't going too fast...

Handguards and mirror for me, plus scuffed body panels and side cases (and broken but still functional sidecase mounts). Coulda been worse, but sure coulda been better, too.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #2467
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 94
any such problems here??

Jumping out of gear? It seems several owners in Europe have had internal repairs and at least one owner a new motor.

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...tml#post637646

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...elections.html

I'm not wanting panic the faithful or encourage the trolls but I am very interested in buying one and I'm curious about potential problems but more interested in how dealers and the factory respond.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #2468
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
Jumping out of gear? It seems several owners in Europe have had internal repairs and at least one owner a new motor.

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...tml#post637646

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...elections.html

I'm not wanting panic the faithful or encourage the trolls but I am very interested in buying one and I'm curious about potential problems but more interested in how dealers and the factory respond.
First I've heard of it, and with over 10k MTS12's sold WW, I think it's safe to say this is extremely rare. There have been lots of posts about "false neutrals", but in the final analysis most if not all of those were due to lazy shifting. These motors are TIGHT (top and bottom end) when new and need a firm boot to switch gears. I'm just coming up on 5k miles and my tranny is just now starting to loosen up.

As far as factory response goes, so far I've found Ducati to be excellent, with none of this business of ignoring problems and telling riders it's their fault, etc. Any fueling issues, ABS issues, DES issues, etc. that owners have reported in the last 1.5 years have been worked on by dealers with factory backing to the owner's satisfaction. Sure, some parts take longer than others to get if they need to be replaced, but so far I've not heard anyone report that Ducati has ignored them. In fact, in that post you linked, you'll notice that the guy who had his engine replaced was given a MTS12 loaner while his bike was being repaired. I realize that's a dealer thing, but I do think it's indicative of the type of service and support that you get from a good Duc dealer.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #2469
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

I agree with SM. It takes a deliberate action to shift it, and lazy shifts lead to false neutrals. I've got almost 18k miles without a problem. I leave Thursday for a trip north probably 8-10k more. I'll let you know if anything pops up.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #2470
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Agreed. I have had a couple of false neutrals, but always from bad shifting. I actually think it shifts great. Definitely no popping out of gear or anything. I am having a hard time finding neutral with 6700 miles, but I think a clutch bleed should solve that.

The motor/trans/slipper clutch is fantastic. 50 mph, and can run to an indicated 150 no problem. It's also very smooth. Unfortunately the wheels, gearing and ground clearance hurt it's rough road ability.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #2471
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Hi all,

I have been eyeballing the new MTS for a while now. As I am narrowing down my options I have a few questions to the owners.

1. Electronic fuel cap - is it worth it? I have read about some issues with it though they were back from 2010. So wondering whether anyone has had issues with them? And if yes then whether that was on the 2010 or 2011 models

2. Has anyone installed a top box other than the factory DP one? Reason I ask is that the factory rack is not exactly a looker due to the rails going to under the tail.

3. I know there have been issues with surging and leaky panniers. I hear both have been resolved in the 2011 models. Are there any other issues you may have ran into with your bikes?

4. Has anyone of you guys been able to get a discount on a new MTS? If yes then would you mind sharing what kind of a discount you could get on it.

5. Supposedly MTS is prewired for a GPS and/or an accessory. I was told you could find wires under the left top front fairing. Has anyone of you actually found them and connected your accessories to it?

6. How bothersome is the centerstand? When I did a demo a little while back it got in a way a few times.

Thanks in advance.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #2472
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
The stock panniers are pretty bad. If you aren't doing the stock top box, then I would just avoid them altogether and do the SW Motech racks and your choice of bags. Mine are the '11 version and they still leak a bit and one of the latches comes un done from time to time. Also one of my mounts broke like Dr Gregs, but I never fell or hit the box or bike on anything. I am also worried I will twist the key as they both are difficult to latch. I may need to pull them apart and re-grease them but all the screws are just threaded into the plastic, so I suspect taking it apart will be a bad idea. The top box is terrible, mine wouldn't latch properly when new, and has progressively began to fall apart. (but latches better now!). The top box does have a backrest and fits two full helmets, so it's great if you are out for a day ride with the lady friend, or when I go to meetings i can lock my helmet and jacket up. Of course, an actual helmet lock or two would be a much simpler solution.

Alt-rider has a rack that bolts on and can be used with other top boxes.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #2473
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Is there a way to get a base model upgraded with the the better suspension and save a few bucks?

I don't need carbon fiber all over and it seems most of the touring package is no good due to leaks or getting in the way of your feet...
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #2474
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I don't know if I would go with base model as the 4 maps and suspension adjustment really are handy and the Ohlins are a plus. The bags are terrible for a 20k (actually any price point, the SE bags on a V-Strom are better performing and sealing but not looking at less than half the price). Top trunk is a Givi so it seems good so far. Centre stand is nice to use but the tang is too long, 10 min with a hacksaw, a bit of welding and paint touch up fixes that. Surgeing goes from non existant to " I want to burn this f@$k*%g thing" day to day but seems mostly gas related (fyi, I have had the best luck with Fas-Gas premium in Alberta). With 11 000km shifting is good but a firm boot is required. Just wish the tires lasted longer but still in the ballpark with a Concours or FJR.
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #2475
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,316
for sure

Pm me
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars View Post
Is there a way to get a base model upgraded with the the better suspension and save a few bucks?

I don't need carbon fiber all over and it seems most of the touring package is no good due to leaks or getting in the way of your feet...
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote