Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #2476
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Hi all,

I have been eyeballing the new MTS for a while now. As I am narrowing down my options I have a few questions to the owners.

1. Electronic fuel cap - is it worth it? I have read about some issues with it though they were back from 2010. So wondering whether anyone has had issues with them? And if yes then whether that was on the 2010 or 2011 models

2. Has anyone installed a top box other than the factory DP one? Reason I ask is that the factory rack is not exactly a looker due to the rails going to under the tail.

3. I know there have been issues with surging and leaky panniers. I hear both have been resolved in the 2011 models. Are there any other issues you may have ran into with your bikes?

4. Has anyone of you guys been able to get a discount on a new MTS? If yes then would you mind sharing what kind of a discount you could get on it.

5. Supposedly MTS is prewired for a GPS and/or an accessory. I was told you could find wires under the left top front fairing. Has anyone of you actually found them and connected your accessories to it?

6. How bothersome is the centerstand? When I did a demo a little while back it got in a way a few times.

Thanks in advance.
My Answers:-

1) I don't have but would like, for me Yes
2) Givi suits and fits
3)No other issues I am aware of
4) You are too far away
5) Yes and easy to find.
6) I purchased after market no issue with foot contact.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #2477
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
I don't know if I would go with base model as the 4 maps and suspension adjustment really are handy and the Ohlins are a plus. .
You still get the 4 modes (3 maps actually). They just only adjust the engine parameters and the traction control, as opposed to the suspension. I do switch from Sport to Enduro for the rough dirt roads as I have the traction control set as low as it will go (1) in Enduro. I don't like the softened throttle response, but it does tend to stall less then in Sport.

I think the fork is ok in the base model. The shock seems not bad but it is sprung way too soft, so it's hard to say. I will probably just upgrade the spring and try that. Compared to my old bike the shock does a much better job controlling rebound though.

You can adjust the shock preload on the base model on the fly, (hydraulic adjuster) but the compression and rebound adjsustment takes a screwdriver.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #2478
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,380
Can someone point me to where I can find out how to tension my drive chain.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #2479
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

You can download the owners manual here:

http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Page 152 in the US manual touches on it. Basically pull the mud guard, loosen the two big pinch bolts and then use the spanner provided to adjust the axel back. It's definitely a nusiance compared to a normal bike.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #2480
690rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
1. Don't have it, don't miss it.

2. I have 2 Givi boxes, a small one for the city and a large for touring. I use the Bang Fabrication rack with the integrated GIVI mounts. Super low profile and does not take away from the lines of the bike at all.
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...00-Long/Detail

3. My MTS was purchased this summer. NO surging or fueling issues. (no panniers)

5. Super easy to find, and to wire. NO removal of any body panels, etc. is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Hi all,

I have been eyeballing the new MTS for a while now. As I am narrowing down my options I have a few questions to the owners.

1. Electronic fuel cap - is it worth it? I have read about some issues with it though they were back from 2010. So wondering whether anyone has had issues with them? And if yes then whether that was on the 2010 or 2011 models

2. Has anyone installed a top box other than the factory DP one? Reason I ask is that the factory rack is not exactly a looker due to the rails going to under the tail.

3. I know there have been issues with surging and leaky panniers. I hear both have been resolved in the 2011 models. Are there any other issues you may have ran into with your bikes?

4. Has anyone of you guys been able to get a discount on a new MTS? If yes then would you mind sharing what kind of a discount you could get on it.

5. Supposedly MTS is prewired for a GPS and/or an accessory. I was told you could find wires under the left top front fairing. Has anyone of you actually found them and connected your accessories to it?

6. How bothersome is the centerstand? When I did a demo a little while back it got in a way a few times.

Thanks in advance.
690rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #2481
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars View Post
Is there a way to get a base model upgraded with the the better suspension and save a few bucks?

I don't need carbon fiber all over and it seems most of the touring package is no good due to leaks or getting in the way of your feet...

It will cost you a shit-ton more than just buying the S. Ducati has this marketing thing figured out, and it's always cheaper in the long run to just pop for their S models. I made the mistake of buying a base Hypermotard, and when I sold it everyone was looking to buy S models.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #2482
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Question Will Termignoni stubby carbon exhaust fit w/Touratech Zega Pros?

Question: Will Termignoni stubby carbon exhaust fit with Touratech Zega Pros?

Does the Ducati Multistrada 1200S Termignoni stubby carbon exhaust fit with and is it compatible with the Touratech Zega Pros Painner System? Or will it melt the Painners due to its wider port? Has any one tried this setup yet? The stock Multistrada duel exhaust pipes are narrower and lower profile; they will fit the Touratech Zega Pros. I feel by the looks and the shear size and length of the full Termignoni exhaust that it will not be compatible Zega Pros Painners as it is with the Multistrada stock cases.

I personally like the smaller size and the look of the Termignoni stubby carbon exhaust, but I did hear a brand new Termignoni full exhaust with baffle, and with out – bad ass loud!

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 12:32 PM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #2483
VeeNeck
Banned

Question Question: Electronic Fuel Cap

Question: Electronic Fuel Cap

Has anyone had the electronic fuel cap installed on the Ducati Multistrada 1200S? How does the electronic gas cap operate, when does it lock or unlock? Open and close?

I love the Ducati Multistrada’s electronic keyless excision, the electronic fuel cap may come in handy so you don’t have to take off your gloves and find the key.

How is it? Do you like it, any issues?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #2484
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It will cost you a shit-ton more than just buying the S. Ducati has this marketing thing figured out, and it's always cheaper in the long run to just pop for their S models. I made the mistake of buying a base Hypermotard, and when I sold it everyone was looking to buy S models.
I had a Hyper S that I sold for $8500 relatively easy… I think real world pricing at the time was about $8k for a base Hyper, and I would have had to really try to get $9k for my S. The $ premium is never held as a static delta between models. I would love to be proven wrong and find a used base MTS1200 for +$5k less than a used MTS-S of equal condition though… but I am a realist.

Trying to make a non-S into an S may be more $ when resale is considered, but no way is an S cheaper to buy overall than a base in terms of resale. I think it would be better to say if you plan to sell it, you will have a higher % of value retained, but losing 30% of 20k is still more moohlah gone than losing 35% of 15k.

FWIW, I too would like the Ohlins, but not the crappy touring gear or CF bits. I see there is a parted out MTS1200S on ebay with the Ohlins front and rear for a lot less than the price premium for the S. Not sure how much trouble it would be to integrate and have full adjustability, but it could be done…If I had a base MTS, I would be buying that Ohlins goodness.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #2485
VeeNeck
Banned

Cool2 Billet, Foldaway and Adjustable Rider Footpegs Kit

Question: Ducati Performance - Billet, Foldaway and Adjustable Rider Footpegs Kit (Enduro Pegs)

Part No. 96673710B

I fell in love with the quality and feel of the ROC Stopa Pegs and the Hammerhead Designs Shift Lever on the GS. But they’re not available for the Multistrada. Ducati Performance – Enduro Pegs look nice but they are way over priced $900+, as for the Multistrada I prefer a more dirt oriented peg feel over the tapered sport bike stock pegs, their nice but I felt they slipped a little to much and I prefer sure footing.

Has any tried these and spent the $953.40 on them?

Billet, Foldaway and Adjustable Rider Footpegs Kit installed and customized in all-black.

VeeNeck screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 03:41 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #2486
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,084
Chain adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
You can download the owners manual here:

http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Page 152 in the US manual touches on it. Basically pull the mud guard, loosen the two big pinch bolts and then use the spanner provided to adjust the axel back. It's definitely a nusiance compared to a normal bike.
I don't find it more difficult than "normal," although perhaps slightly more time-consuming. It's pretty simple to remove the splash guard, loosen the two clamp bolts, then the spanner on the eccentric axle...the whole process maybe slightly more time-consuming, but hey, it's a Ducati...maintenance isn't supposed to be easy, right?

I actually prefer eccentric adjusters, since there's no need to try to equalize the amount of adjustment between L/R sides of swingarm.

--Doc

PS. If eccentric is hard to turn, try tapping a wedge into the crack on the swingarm to expand the hub carrier very slightly.

PPS. There's a little "clip-like" tool in the tool kit for use in measuring the desired chain level. It's actually pretty handy, IMHO.
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #2487
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I don't find it more difficult than "normal," although perhaps slightly more time-consuming. It's pretty simple to remove the splash guard, loosen the two clamp bolts, then the spanner on the eccentric axle...the whole process maybe slightly more time-consuming, but hey, it's a Ducati...maintenance isn't supposed to be easy, right?

I actually prefer eccentric adjusters, since there's no need to try to equalize the amount of adjustment between L/R sides of swingarm.

--Doc

PS. If eccentric is hard to turn, try tapping a wedge into the crack on the swingarm to expand the hub carrier very slightly.

PPS. There's a little "clip-like" tool in the tool kit for use in measuring the desired chain level. It's actually pretty handy, IMHO.
Good call Doc, yeah more time consuming is a better word. (Frickin mud guard olts loc-tited in..). I also hadn't tried the wedge suggestion. I couldn't get mine to turnt the last time.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #2488
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Question: Electronic Fuel Cap

Has anyone had the electronic fuel cap installed on the Ducati Multistrada 1200S? How does the electronic gas cap operate, when does it lock or unlock? Open and close?

I love the Ducati Multistrada’s electronic keyless excision, the electronic fuel cap may come in handy so you don’t have to take off your gloves and find the key.

How is it? Do you like it, any issues?

I don't have it, but I also don't get it. I have to pull my credit card out to get gas, so putting the key in is simple. Now, if you didn't have to pay for gas and could just pull up, pop the thing open and fill up that would be cool. Also, like the auto locking fork thing, it seems like just one more thing to potentially go wrong at the wrong time. With regard to the pegs, just pull the rubber inserts out for more sure footing. The DP ones sure look cool, but 900 bones - ouch, even for Ducati.

I don't have it, but I also don't get it. I have to pull my credit card out to get gas, so putting the key in is simple. Now, if you didn't have to pay for gas and could just pull up, pop the thing open and fill up that would be cool. Also, like the auto locking fork thing, it seems like just one more thing to potentially go wrong at the wrong time.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #2489
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
, like the auto locking fork thing, it seems like just one more thing to potentially go wrong at the wrong time.
That's right, Dave, it does and has happened to some owners where they are left having to remove the bolts to open the fuel lid. Not a wise mod in my opinion, I'm ok doing it the old fashioned way.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #2490
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
That's right, Dave, it does and has happened to some owners where they are left having to remove the bolts to open the fuel lid. Not a wise mod in my opinion, I'm ok doing it the old fashioned way.
I think SockMonkey was one of the guys that had his cap fail on him.... several hundered miles from home if I remember correctly.

If there was also a key option on the keyless cap it may be worth it, as is though, to me, it aint worth the risk of having to take it apart to fill up.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote