Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #2491
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Bluhduh "False Neutrals"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
First I've heard of it, and with over 10k MTS12's sold WW, I think it's safe to say this is extremely rare. There have been lots of posts about "false neutrals", but in the final analysis most if not all of those were due to lazy shifting. These motors are TIGHT (top and bottom end) when new and need a firm boot to switch gears. I'm just coming up on 5k miles and my tranny is just now starting to loosen up.

As far as factory response goes, so far I've found Ducati to be excellent, with none of this business of ignoring problems and telling riders it's their fault, etc.

-SM
I had two "false neutrals" on a test ride of a brand new 2011 Multistrada 1200 this summer, it only had 134 miles on it. Yes I was new to the motorcycle, its feel and nuances. But that never happened with my brand new 2011 BMW R1200 GS with only 124 miles on it (To heavy for me Off-the bike), but smooth as can be. I was in 5th gear going lets say 55 to 60 and shifting into 6th gear I was startled at the abrupt no-go, I puled the clutch in asap and tried to chill and re-shift again. I have never had that happen before, so when it happened again when I was accelerating hard. I thought this may be due to a new bike braking in a bit. Just thought I would mention my experience, but that is not deterring me from purchasing the Multistrada. But it would be nice to not have that happen.

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 05:39 PM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #2492
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
I had two "false neutrals" on a test ride of a brand new 2011 Multistrada 1200 this summer, it only had 134 miles on it. Yes I was new to the motorcycle, its feel and nuances. But that never happened with my brand new 2011 BMW R1200 GS with only 124 miles on it (To heavy for me Off-the bike), but smooth as can be. I was in 5th gear going lets say 55 to 60 and shifting into 6th gear I was startled at the abrupt no-go, I puled the clutch in asap and tried to chill and re-shift again. I have never had that happen before, so when it happened again when I was accelerating hard. I thought this may be due to a new bike braking in a bit. just thought I would mention my experience, but that is not deterring me from purchasing the Multistrada. But it would be nice to not have that happen.
Two different motorcycles with two different transmissions, I am fortunate to own both. Sock is exactly right. The false neutrals are a result of less authoritative foot movement, and if I tend to get lazy the same happens to me. It's simply what the bike requires especially in the early stage of the bike's life. If anything it's the least of my worries with the MTS12s.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #2493
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
What's the most of your worries with the MTS1200 if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Two different motorcycles with two different transmissions, I am fortunate to own both. Sock is exactly right. The false neutrals are a result of less authoritative foot movement, and if I tend to get lazy the same happens to me. It's simply what the bike requires especially in the early stage of the bike's life. If anything it's the least of my worries with the MTS12s.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #2494
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I just did a MTS1200 demo, only ~1hr on the bike, but it was all either traffic or twisties - lots of shifting and the gearbox was flawless.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #2495
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Rear brake is probably near the top of his list.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #2496
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
don't mind you asking at all. at the top of my list would be the electronics, and anything attached to it (suspension, key start).
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #2497
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Something wrong with the electronics that you've experienced already? Or just a general "what if" kind of concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
don't mind you asking at all. at the top of my list would be the electronics, and anything attached to it (suspension, key start).

Same on the old MTS. So no news here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
Rear brake is probably near the top of his list.

Dum spiro spero

Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #2498
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Something wrong with the electronics that you've experienced already? Or just a general "what if" kind of concern?

Same on the old MTS. So no news here .

more of a general what if based on other's reports on the same matter. i like the motorcycle for what it does, not necessarily its design and how certain things were implemented.

i don't mind having to put a key into an ignition switch or a fuel cap, but hey, that's just me.

as to your other comment, i don't think i ever took issue with the rear brake on the MTS12 predecessor, or at least like i have the new one. i still consider the MTS11s one of the greatest bikes ever if not the greatest! :)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #2499
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Dunno about everyone else, but...

Quote:
Speaking personally...

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #2500
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
lol
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #2501
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Speaking personally...

--Doc
Top reason why I did not buy it this time around. But it continues on my short list...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #2502
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Does anyone know where I could download a service manual by any chance? DucatiUSA.com only has owners manuals.

Dum spiro spero

Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #2503
Earthshake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Does anyone know where I could download a service manual by any chance? DucatiUSA.com only has owners manuals.
Try here, but be careful as I think this is a draft version and others have noticed some changes between this and the final purchased version. http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...foynglkgibcbgy
Earthshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #2504
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Wicked Ducati MultiStrada 1200S Pikes Peak in BLACK

Ducati Multistrada 1200S Pikes Peak in BLACK

Ok guys I know this a 3D image, but lets say it is not. This would be a cool color combo jet black with a white race stripe. This would look killer, as I personally would tire of the cool flashy racy red over time and prefer the stealth vibe. But I love the shorter carbon windscreen, it has a nice shape to it. I also prefer the blacked out stump guard it blends in better with the motorcycle and does not stand out as much. The black passenger pegs mounting brackets go better with the bike overall as their is no silver bits on the Multi, or they could have done them in racing gray to match the stock frame. And the seat looks of quality craftsmanship. This is the one I would choose but you cant beat classic black, will just have to customize it a bit to get it more stealthed out.

Now this is what I was talking about , now we have to deal with the yellow-gold forks. Nice dark windscreen what brand is that by the way?

Question: Does any on know what brand windshield this is pictured in black? Link to website?

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 05:17 AM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #2505
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Personally, I really like the look of the setup Ducati put together for the Pope.

SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote