Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #2506
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
I think SockMonkey was one of the guys that had his cap fail on him.... several hundered miles from home if I remember correctly.

If there was also a key option on the keyless cap it may be worth it, as is though, to me, it aint worth the risk of having to take it apart to fill up.
Yep, that was me. Thankfully I was only 25 miles from home, but I was almost out of gas at the time, so I was worried that I'd be walking a loooong way. My last bar was blinking at me for the last 10 miles, so I know I was on fumes when I rolled into my garage. I then spent some "quality time" with my MTS (3 hrs!!!) pulling the friggin' HF gas cap off and putting the old one back on, hacking up a side panel in the process because one of the studs in the tank spun and the only way I could get the cap off was to remove the tank, and to remove the tank I had to remove the side panel, so out came the dremel.....grrrrrr.

As Say points out, if there was a keyed bypass, I'd get another HF cap, but as it is, mine is going back to Ducati and I'm sticking with the old fashion keyed cap. When it worked, I found the HF cap to be a nice convenience, but when it failed.....

FWIW, I know of at least one parts manager who refuses to sell these any more because he has had a 100% failure rate on them and it's 4hrs of shop time to remove/replace it. While Ducati has been good about reimbursing the shop for the time, it still ties up a tech for a looooong time. Hopefully Ducati will redesign it and make it 1) less susceptible to vibration, which is what I think caused mine to "stick" closed, and 2) incorporate a keyed bypass.

In the end, if you want my advice, stay away from this farkle until the issues are resolved.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #2507
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Experience with the electronic gas cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
As Say points out, if there was a keyed bypass, I'd get another HF cap, but as it is, mine is going back to Ducati and I'm sticking with the old fashion keyed cap. When it worked, I found the HF cap to be a nice convenience, but when it failed.....

In the end, if you want my advice, stay away from this farkle until the issues are resolved.
-SM
Thanks for your experience regarding the electronic gas cap.
Vee
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #2508
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Thanks for your experience regarding the electronic gas cap.
Vee
Np. Hope it helps and keeps someone else from walking home (or kicking their bike over and setting fire to it.... ).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #2509
VeeNeck
Banned

Question Radiator Guard & Air Cooler Guard: Restricting Air Flow?

Ok guys I feel this is a very important question regarding the Ducati Multistrada 1200S Radiator Guard and Air Cooler Guard. There is a need to protect this vulnerable key component and I want to protect the motorcycle from day one. So any advice would be beneficial and appreciated.

Coming from a 2011 BMW R1200GS air cooled boxer and going to the Ducati Multistrada 1200S with a huge radiator picking the right Radiator Guard and Air Cooler Guard I feel is essential to avoid overheating on 90 degree New York summer days sitting in metro traffic.

I plan on kiting the Multistrada out with Touratech accessories and painners. But their Radiator Guard is made of stainless steal and really does not look like it will protect from road debris, pebbles and small rocks. The AltRider Aluminum Radiator Guard looks the best style wise and does come in black so it does not stand out, which I like but it looks like it may restrict the all important airflow to the radiator. Yes I know it was installed on the Pikes Peak race bikes, but their not sitting in any traffic for ridding for hours at a time. What I find interesting is that Touratech makes Aluminum Radiator Guards that’s look just like AltRider for other motorcycles, BUT for the Multistrada they engineered it of a minimalist design, I would think they had issues with their standard designed ones with regards to airflow. A quote from Touratech’s Aluminum Radiator Guards description for other motorcycle models, NOT the Multistrada: “The Radiator cover can cause the engine to overheat under extreme conditions with high out side temperatures and an extreme loads.” So with that said what to do?

So style and engineering is important but functionality is king here. I don’t like Frankenstein farkled bikes; I like to stick to one or two accessories brands to keep some consistency. So basically I would like to protect the radiator but I’m not interested in having the Multistrada overheat do to a protective guard.

Any issues overheating with Radiator Guard and Air Cooler Guard? I think the AltRider guard looks the best but does it restrict airflow? But I trust Touratechs testing and engineering. The Evotech looks like it fits nicely.

Touratech Radiator Guard

Touratech

AltRider

AltRider

AltRider

Evotech

Evotech

Evotech

Cox Racing

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 03:41 PM
Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #2510
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I have the Evotech Seems OK in Aussie weather, although have not tried in summer heat !
Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #2511
VeeNeck
Banned

Header Guard

AltRider

SW-Motech

Touratech - Airflow for exhaust?

Ilmberger-Carbon Belly Pan

Ilmberger-Carbon Belly Pan

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 04:04 PM
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #2512
VeeNeck
Banned

Wicked Pikes Peak SE photos popping up on the net.

The Pikes Peak SE photos are popping up on the net from lucky new owners. Well this by far is the coolest looking adventure bike out there besides the 2011 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black Special Edition Touratech: Desierto 3 Edition by yours truly that I created, and I cant forget the KTM 990 Adventure R in mate black. After sitting on the actual Pikes Peak race bike I was like why don’t they just make this sexy paint scheme? I requested it to Ducati USA and they did. The paint scheme is sweet, well done Ducati! To bad it doesn’t come with the Termi slip-on exhaust hear in the States, for the price they are charging it should.

I’m eventually going to go with Touratechs Zega Pros Panniers once I get the Multi. And once you start farkling such a sexy race scheme well it may not do the minimalist design justice, like adding on a centerstand and crash bars. I just found a photo pictured with side cases and top box, looks cool and well put together, but this is not the setup I would be going with, and unless you replicate this well it may not do the Pikes Peak SE justice. With the added red you just stand out with the coppers too much for my taste, it is almost too nice to leave in a parking lot unattended. But it has everything I want; better seat, blacked-out passenger pegs brackets, blacked-out engine guard, carbon front fender, and a cool carbon windscreen. To get the standard Multi to ware PP ES is, well it may actually cost more then the Pikes Peak model and that sucks. The cool thing is that Ducati now has matching updated Arai helmets to match the Pikes Peak SE color combo.

To the guys that just purchased this 2012 Pikes Peak SE is their any changes to the 2012 model, any updates and what not?

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 07:21 PM
Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #2513
VeeNeck
Banned

Custom Paint Schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
Personally, I really like the look of the setup Ducati put together for the Pope.
Yes the Pope Motorcade paint scheme is cool. I like variety and choice, especially factory customs like the Pikes Peak SE. As long as it is BLACK in some variation I am happy, even a non-metallic glossy ghost gray would be cool.

Here are some custom paint schemes, I personally do not like school-bus yellow, but it is still cool to see what other are doing. To each is own.

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 08:24 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #2514
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Evotech oil/rad guard and Altrider header guard. No issues whatsoever here, 2 up, 95+. ( Not that we get the heat of outer places)

I was worried about Altrider rad guard for cooling and the two sided tape attachment. The Evotech was cheaper too...

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2515
VeeNeck
Banned

Question Ducati Multistrada 1200 Seat Options

The cool thing about the Ducati Multistrada 1200S is that you don’t really need to do to much the get the bike to kick ass as with some other popular adventure tourers. But the one think I like is a high quality firm seat. The stock Multistrada has good quality foam and a grippe durable outer material. Ducati make some aftermarket seats, but they lack any real description of the differences between them. I did not like the stock seat shape it was too angular for my but and thighs, and even thought the seat height is tall at 33.5” I found the low version to be flat and uncomfortable.

So with that said the Rider Comfort Seat look cool with its foe carbon trim and it does look like it is sculpted differently, but how does it differ then the stock seat besides the trim?

Also there is an Enduro Seat, with no real description either. It looks the same as the low seat. I called Ducati USA and could not get any answers regarding the Ducati Performance seats they offer; and how they differ in quality, comfort, and shape. And the Pikes Peak Seats looks awesome, but I am sure you wont be able to order it separately.

So do any of you guys have any of these after market Ducati Performance seats? If so which ones, and how do you like them, and how do they differ from the stock seat? I want to purchase the best one I can get.

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 08:18 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #2516
bartman314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
enduro seat

i have the enduro seat on my 1200s. it is taller and firmer than the stock seat, which is exactly what i was looking for. i now sit on the bike... not in it.

highly recommended.
bartman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #2517
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Any idea how much taller is it vs stock?
I know that the comfort seat is a actually lower. My dealer told me that along with how much lower was it. Don't remember the exact number but if I recall correctly it was like 10mm or half an inch or something.

Reason I ask is that I get a bit of wind buffeting in both lowest and highest screen position. Lowest is a little better. So maybe if I sit slightly taller there won't be any?! And I am not ready for the Laminar-Lip style add-on just yet stylewise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
i have the enduro seat on my 1200s. it is taller and firmer than the stock seat, which is exactly what i was looking for. i now sit on the bike... not in it.

highly recommended.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2518
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Couple of comments. Hope to have more time to give a longer report soon.

Just finished a 2500 mile trip from Seattle to CO.

1. I have the Altrider radiator guard and had no overheating problems in temps up to 98... The bike seems to manage temps pretty well.

2. I rode a lot of dirt roads two up - especially on Cottonwood Pass in CO. The biked worked great, was predictable and was comfy for the passenger.

3. Have the upgraded comfort seat and was pleased with it. As with any seat you need to move around from time to time.

4. I switched maps ALL THE TIME between sport, touring and enduro. It all depended on road conditions, what kind of ride (suspension-wise) I wanted at the time and how 'sport' I was feeling. I am really happy to have this functionality on the bike.

5. Talked to the dealer today - there is a full recall coming for the rear brakes. Replacement for master cylinder and brake lines, etc. Dealer is waiting on the 'kit.' Thats good because I boiled my front brake fluid on the way down from Cottonwood compensating for the lack of rear braking (but boy it was sure fun - scraped my pegs both sides two up :) and now both of my brakes are mushy.

More later...
Michael

mfaoro screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 02:12 PM
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #2519
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro View Post
Couple of comments. Hope to have more time to give a longer report soon.
5. Talked to the dealer today - there is a full recall coming for the rear brakes. Replacement for master cylinder and brake lines, etc. Dealer is waiting on the 'kit.' Thats good because I boiled my front brake fluid on the way down from Cottonwood compensating for the lack of rear braking (but boy it was sure fun - scraped my pegs both sides two up :) and now both of my brakes are mushy.

More later...
Michael
Wow! Boiled the front brake fluid, I've never heard of this happening , I would think the brake pads would be toast also ?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #2520
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Wow! Boiled the front brake fluid, I've never heard of this happening , I would think the brake pads would be toast also ?
Well thats what the dealer said as an explanation for my front brake lever getting mushier and mushier and coming almost to the grip by the bottom of the Pass. Good question re: the pads - I will have the dealer take a look at that.

Michael