User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #2761
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 541
Question Difficult Ducati Multi Decision to Make - Help

I have been searching around for some time for a new or very lightly used Ducati Multistrada and now I have a difficult decision to make.........so I am asking for any experienced opinions from those wiser and more experienced with Ducati than I.

Here are my choices:

1) BRAND NEW 2009 Multistrada S Touring (Black).

2) BRAND NEW 2011 Multistrada S Touring (White).

The price difference between choice 1 & 2 is $6,500.

Which one would you choose and why?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #2762
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I have been searching around for some time for a new or very lightly used Ducati Multistrada and now I have a difficult decision to make.........so I am asking for any experienced opinions from those wiser and more experienced with Ducati than I.

Here are my choices:

If it was me and I had the money I would go 2011. The price differential will be reflected when you come to sell although maybe not to such a degree.

The 2011 has had all the updates done and although I'm sure the dealer would ensure the firmware updates were done the early first models have been known to have a few teething problems.

How you feel about the dealer (if they are different) could also be a factor.

I have 2010 S touring. make sure the rear brake has been upgraded before you pick up. its a great difficult decision to have.

One other thing...what is the price differential between an 11 and 12 models?

Enjoy!
Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #2763
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:

Here are my choices:

The first year of the Multi 1200 was 2010, so are you talking about an "old" Multi 1100 vs. the new Multi 1200??? If so, IMO go with the new 1200. Better everything (motor, ergos, looks (subjective), electronics, blah blah blah).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #2764
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

2nd Question 1100S VS 1200S

Thanks & YES this a choice between the 1100S and the 1200S Touring.

Another question:

I am a long way from any dealers and do all my own mechanical maintenance and repairs for all my 2 & 4 wheel vehicles........................which is easier and/or requires less specialized tools to maintain the 1100S or the 1200S?

J
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #2765
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
I am a long way from any dealers and do all my own mechanical maintenance and repairs for all my 2 & 4 wheel vehicles........................which is easier and/or requires less specialized tools to maintain the 1100S or the 1200S?

J
Given this I'll change my answer to the 1100S (assuming you are comfortable w/ Desmo valves and buying $300 shim kits ). The 1200S has DES and MANY other electronic bits that you will not be able to fix/repair/replace without taking it to a dealer.

Having said that, if you REALLY want my advice (as in this is what I would do given your criteria), I wouldn't buy either one. If you want a good "all around" bike that you can work on yourself, check out a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. You can get one for less than the Duc 1100S, and you can do everything yourself (plus they are built like tanks). There are several dealers here in the US where you can get any part you need (MI in Seattle and MPH in Houston), just check to see if they can ship to Canada and if so you're all set.

-SM

EDIT: Ooooohhhh....I just noticed this is my 666th post.....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #2766
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Having said that, if you REALLY want my advice (as in this is what I would do given your criteria), I wouldn't buy either one. If you want a good "all around" bike that you can work on yourself, check out a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. You can get one for less than the Duc 1100S, and you can do everything yourself (plus they are built like tanks).
Yes, that was my speculation about the 1200S.........might not be the easiest to maintain yourself? This is a difficult choice. I current have a BMW and I have under the bucket valve shim work down pat ......so valves are no problem.

As for the Stelvio..........well it kind of looks like (and I apologize if this seems UN-politically correct) a BMW1200GS with some kind of double erection going on in the cylinder area.

What I really like about the Multi is it's ~430lb dry weight. The erect Stelvio.....like the GS is like 550lbs
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #2767
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Yes, that was my speculation about the 1200S.........might not be the easiest to maintain yourself? This is a difficult choice. I current have a BMW and I have under the bucket valve shim work down pat ......so valves are no problem.

As for the Stelvio..........well it kind of looks like (and I apologize if this seems UN-politically correct) a BMW1200GS with some kind of double erection going on in the cylinder area.

What I really like about the Multi is it's ~430lb dry weight. The erect Stelvio.....like the GS is like 550lbs
Neither of the Ducati's will be easy to maintain yourself. Desmo valves and L twin means you will have to disassemble a LOT of the motorcycle just to check the valves. The "good news" for the 1200S is the valve check is every 15k miles, and typically you only have to shim them every other check (so every 30k miles). Still, doing the valves on a Desmo in your garage will be an all-day event.

I totally understand about the weight, and that is one big reason why I sold my BMW R12GS and ended up with the Multi 1200. It feels sooooo much lighter than the BMW, I don't care what the spec sheet says. But....for ME, no way would I have gotten the Duc if I had to maintain it myself. I have precious little time to ride (wife, kids, etc take time!) and I don't want to spend that time in the garage! I have a great Ducati dealer 30 miles away, and two more great dealers inside of 50 miles, so I knew ahead of time the complexity would not be a worry because I wasn't going to be doing the work. ECU reflashes (there are 4 of them!) can only be done at a dealer anyway, and you WILL need to have this done from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the Stelvio. I don't think it looks any worse than the BMW GS, "erect" or not. But I stand by my recommendation: no way would I buy a Duc knowing I had to do all the work myself, but that's ME, and it may be OK for YOU.

Best of luck what ever you decide to do.

-SM
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #2768
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Thanks & YES this a choice between the 1100S and the 1200S Touring.

Another question:

J
We recently finished a discussion about the difficulty of doing DIY MTS1200S maintenance on another forum (I was the instigator); the discussion is HERE if you care to read it...

I---like you---am used to doing all my own maintenance. Have rebuilt the engine on my '92 Ducati 900SS, have a pretty well-equipped shop and free access to machine shop. I figured the 4V Ducati Testastretta engine couldn't be THAT much harder than the 2V aircooled mill. I was wrong. It is very difficult to even GET to the engine. Plus the FSM is not good at all. I've given up, and will be buying a maintenance contract from my local dealer (if I keep the bike).

So that's my $0.02. Based on maintenance, buy the 1100. That's a great engine as well.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2769
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
We recently finished a discussion about the difficulty of doing DIY MTS1200S maintenance on another forum (I was the instigator); the discussion is HERE if you care to read it...

I---like you---am used to doing all my own maintenance. Have rebuilt the engine on my '92 Ducati 900SS, have a pretty well-equipped shop and free access to machine shop. I figured the 4V Ducati Testastretta engine couldn't be THAT much harder than the 2V aircooled mill. I was wrong. It is very difficult to even GET to the engine. Plus the FSM is not good at all. I've given up, and will be buying a maintenance contract from my local dealer (if I keep the bike).

So that's my $0.02. Based on maintenance, buy the 1100. That's a great engine as well.

--Doc
Thanks Doc for the DIY discussion..................yup that pretty much confirmed my speculation on wrenching the 1200S. Just reading some of your DIY points in the discussion........you sounded a lot like me.......kind of spooky

Thanks,
J
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #2770
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,437
Interesting read Dr Greg, as a MS owner I too was hoping the dreaded valve adj would be just something new to learn. With a couple of total restorations under my belt and a lifetime of doing all my own work I just may have to rethink if I want to continue ownership.

Nearest dealership is 200 miles away and I hate paying others for maintenance work on my bikes, too bad sweet ride otherwise. In the meantime I will plug away at oil changes and chain adjusts until that valve adj comes around.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #2771
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
Ocean, I've owned all three of the recently mentioned bikes. The 1100s is the great value play and definitely easier to work on, the MTS12s with all of its electronic gadgetry just plain worried me (one of the best comfy riding bikes out there though). As for the Stelvio, it's a great bike too, insanely simple in its design, but if you want a relatively light bike, it definitely is not the one, and speedy it is not.

It really all boils down to what you want and what type of riding you plan to do.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Best success with the hunt,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #2772
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I had a 1100S and now own a 1200S. I could not convince myself to upgrade to a 1200 for a while. But when I did I felt no regret.
I was very satisfied with the 1100. But the 1200 blows it out of the water.

My subjective opinion:

- much more power
- more immediate flexibility with suspension settings
- better wind protection
- better riding position
- more room for rider and passenger

Hope that helps.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #2773
bearauto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm on my tip toes when I straddle the bike. Is it too tall for me? Love riding it though!
bearauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #2774
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearauto View Post
I'm on my tip toes when I straddle the bike. Is it too tall for me? Love riding it though!
Depends how comfortable you feel. I got the comfort seat which is thinner at the front and therefore helps get more of your foot down.
Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #2775
bearauto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickywicket View Post
Depends how comfortable you feel. I got the comfort seat which is thinner at the front and therefore helps get more of your foot down.
I did get to test ride it, and only had one instance of misjudging the height when stopped on an incline at a light.

Took just a little getting used to, but we rode in stop and go traffic, and I managed just fine.

Guess I just answered my own question.
bearauto is offline   Reply With Quote