Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #2776
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Ocean, I've owned all three of the recently mentioned bikes. The 1100s is the great value play and definitely easier to work on, the MTS12s with all of its electronic gadgetry just plain worried me (one of the best comfy riding bikes out there though). As for the Stelvio, it's a great bike too, insanely simple in its design, but if you want a relatively light bike, it definitely is not the one, and speedy it is not.

It really all boils down to what you want and what type of riding you plan to do.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Best success with the hunt,
Thanks for the offer to help out with questions......and I just may take you up on this in future..........as I did decide to buy the new 2009 MTS-S (Black) - value plus DIY more in line with my distance from any dealer.
Too bad it will have to sit in my garage till April !

J
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #2777
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
Yes, that was my speculation about the 1200S.........might not be the easiest to maintain yourself? This is a difficult choice. I current have a BMW and I have under the bucket valve shim work down pat ......so valves are no problem.

As for the Stelvio..........well it kind of looks like (and I apologize if this seems UN-politically correct) a BMW1200GS with some kind of double erection going on in the cylinder area.

What I really like about the Multi is it's ~430lb dry weight. The erect Stelvio.....like the GS is like 550lbs
So the GS is 550 lbs dry? Try again.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #2778
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
The Multistrada 1200S is 520 lb w/full tank, no luggage. I weighed mine. Split 260 lb F/R.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #2779
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
The Multistrada 1200S is 520 lb w/full tank, no luggage. I weighed mine. Split 260 lb F/R.

--Doc
Interesting...haven't weighed my GS, but BMW quotes 505 lbs wet without options or accessories.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #2780
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Interesting...haven't weighed my GS, but BMW quotes 505 lbs wet without options or accessories.

Given the wear on tires and the general lack of performance of the claimed 150 hp, I would guess the Ducati is pretty heavy. It definitely feels heavier then my Superhawk which was the same claimed dry weight and only 1 gal of fuel difference. (But rated for 35% less hp).

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #2781
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
Given the wear on tires and the general lack of performance of the claimed 150 hp, I would guess the Ducati is pretty heavy. It definitely feels heavier then my Superhawk which was the same claimed dry weight and only 1 gal of fuel difference. (But rated for 35% less hp).
I'm curious if you've ridden anybody elses Multi 1200 or if another 1200 owner has ridden yours for comparison? If so, were the impressions of performance the same? I realize you live at high altitude, but you're the only one I've ever seen post about a lack of power from your 1200, here and on other sites. I recall you said yours won't even wheelie. Something seems amiss.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #2782
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
I'm curious if you've ridden anybody elses Multi 1200 or if another 1200 owner has ridden yours for comparison? If so, were the impressions of performance the same? I realize you live at high altitude, but you're the only one I've ever seen post about a lack of power from your 1200, here and on other sites. I recall you said yours won't even wheelie. Something seems amiss.

+1

I've had mine lift the wheel at 90+ mph, and it pulls harder than my 1098. Something's night right if you feel your MTS1200 is underpowered.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #2783
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Weird, I haven't had an opportunity to ride anyone elses. I wouldn't say underpowered, just not what I expected based on all that I read. It certainly runs fine, and has a stronger mid range then the Superhawk (carb'd), not quite the top speed I don't think, but it's a lot taller (hit 151 indicated the other day, which should be about 140, the Superhawk would get 148 or so actual, but it was more of a sportbike). It is much faster then my buddy's carb'd R6, but I definitely need to be on my toes to out run him on his Buell Uly (EFI).

2 up in the mountains, I definitely would like more power for passing, but I can't imagine ever wanting less power on any bike. It certainly does ok and as far as 1 up goes, it has more power then I am brave enough to use in the twisties.

The power modes are all set to default and I can tell a small difference from 100hp to 150hp, but nothing really discernable between 150 low and 150 high. Break-in was done as per the manual, with some agressive throttle input to 6000 rpm as it got closer to 600 miles. Once it first broke in, I was able to do a couple of power wheelies in first gear, but could never re-create it. Seemed like the perfect combination of being around 5000 rpm, going wide open, and getting a little bounce about 6500 rpm.

The 14 tooth sprocket woke up the taller gears on the highway but not really noticable in 1st or 2nd.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #2784
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Well, I guess everybody perceives things differently. For instance, I feel there's a huge difference in the power of the 100 hp modes and 150...like about 50 hp worth! I was almost going to ask you if you were certain you weren't leaving it in one of the 100 hp modes.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #2785
wheels
Practicing to retire

Oddometer: 143
Something wrong if you can't wheelie it. I get 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear wheelies on mine. It's not likely but, like someone else said maybe it's stuck in in 100 HP mode. A GSXR 1000 is just a bit faster than a MTS1200S, so you should find another MTS to try. I also can tell the difference between 100 and 150 mode, I use the enduro mode quite a bit on our goaty back roads.

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #2786
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Seems you don't own a MTS from this statement ? OME tyres are crap and do wear fast with spirited riding ! Engine power ?? This bike is not beaten by many , this includes sports bikes !
Old 12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #2787
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

I definitely have one. 9200 miles and counting. Stock tires are crap. I put on a Michelin PR2 in the rear at 4000 miles and it is getting pretty worn. (I think I got about 8000 miles out of these tires on my Honda).

I honestly don't know how to describe the problem to the dealer. It has been re-flashed (to solve the surging at 3k-4k rpm), and obviously the rear brake isn't dragging , and it runs fine, right up to redline. I can tell the difference in the DTC settings, and the throttle response is softer in the 100 hp mode, so I assume it is switching modes fine, it just doesn't feel more powerful. It gets good mileage, a few tanks pushing 50 mpg, most in the low 40s, no backfires, very little surging, so it feels like it is running fine. Just not much enthusiasm, feels like how I would expect a Varadero or maybe even a ST to run. Smooth, powerful, but certainly no where near a true 1L sport bike.

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2788
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Quote:
I honestly don't know how to describe the problem to the dealer. It has been re-flashed (to solve the surging at 3k-4k rpm), and obviously the rear brake isn't dragging , and it runs fine, right up to redline. I can tell the difference in the DTC settings, and the throttle response is softer in the 100 hp mode, so I assume it is switching modes fine, it just doesn't feel more powerful. It gets good mileage, a few tanks pushing 50 mpg, most in the low 40s, no backfires, very little surging, so it feels like it is running fine. Just not much enthusiasm, feels like how I would expect a Varadero or maybe even a ST to run. Smooth, powerful, but certainly no where near a true 1L sport bike.
Something is up with your bike. There should be a big difference in power when you go to sport mode from either enduro or urban. So if you put it in sport mode, do you get a "sport" on the display when you check it while riding? For comparison sake, I traded an '07 MTS 1100 and an '09 Buell 1125cr on my MTS1200. The 1200 is WAY faster than my 1100 and I'd say very similar to the Buell, which was a very strong running bike. I've owned an ST4 before and the MTS 1200 would crush it too. It sounds like performance wise you think it's similar to your Superhawk. I've ridden a Superhawk, and my MTS 1200 would smoke one, maybe not on top speed, but that's due to aerodynamics.

I know this power thing has been an issue you've brought up and been bugged about before, and I would be too! I hope you get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #2789
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Ramv, here are the dyno curves (rwhp):

Source: sportrider.com

You can see that the modes would feel similarly potent up to 5500rpm or so, with the difference being only in the throttle response, which a dyno run at full throttle won't pick up on.

Can't turn up a reference, but I believe that what limits the power in urban and enduro is the ride-by-wire system, which in those modes delivers only 60 per cent of the available throttle opening, at the throttle body, when the twistgrip is wound to the stop.

Hence, it occurs to me that your bike might not be delivering full throttle in the 150hp modes.

You would still feel changes in response when changing modes, and the bike would feel stronger than your 100 rwhp Superhawk down low and in the early mid-range (being a 1200). And it would still rev to red-line. But it would not offer all of the 30hp advantage it should have at full throttle at the upper end of the rev range.

As for what would be preventing the throttle opening, I can't say, but I imagine there are electronic and mechanical possibilities.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #2790
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
My 1200 has the stock pipe and ecu, just for reference. I've added some othe crap (weight). It's got 27000 miles so it should be broken in. At sea level the power seems almost ridiculous - and I almost never am at wide open throttle for more than a second. However when it's loaded up with touring gear and at altitude it's noticeably less "perky". I often wind it out on uphill sweepers in the mountains, something I wouldn't do around my house (first of all - no mountains). I suspect a lot of Ramv issue is the altitude. You should however be able to tell the difference between the 100 and 150 hp modes. The difference between 150 high and low is just the twitchiness of the throttle.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote