ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2821
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world
 
Lucky Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Northern Arizona, usa
Oddometer: 296
I would guess you would end up selling the Superbike! The MTS is a superbike, touring bike and minor dirt road equestrian. When I mentioned 666/191 it is a Dragon like road. 525 switchbacks in 100 miles, But the entire loop onto 180 is about 250 miles of the best in the world (my opinion). I asked my wife the first time we completed the loop on the MTS ... Have they straightened out that road? The bike is that good. Best of luck with your search towards ownership. Check out Ducati.ms for a good site with much discussion on the MTS1200.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #2822
psyco
Motard Madness
 
psyco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I would guess you would end up selling the Superbike! The MTS is a superbike, touring bike and minor dirt road equestrian. When I mentioned 666/191 it is a Dragon like road. 525 switchbacks in 100 miles, But the entire loop onto 180 is about 250 miles of the best in the world (my opinion). I asked my wife the first time we completed the loop on the MTS ... Have they straightened out that road? The bike is that good. Best of luck with your search towards ownership. Check out Ducati.ms for a good site with much discussion on the MTS1200.
Allen.

Thanks again Allen , now its time to shop ...
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #2823
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bails's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wollongong Australia
Oddometer: 394
I'd agree that the MTS is not an all rounder. I own one as an old man's sports bike, well in reality a sports bike that allows the posture I like. If I wanted a little bit more Multi purpose I'd go the GSA , it is better in the protection area, doesn't handle to bad , and seating position is good. However the Multi is the most engaging bike I have ridden to date !
__________________
If it has to Be then it's up to Me!
Bikes Multi Strada 1200 BMW GSA
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #2824
psyco
Motard Madness
 
psyco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I'd agree that the MTS is not an all rounder. I own one as an old man's sports bike, well in reality a sports bike that allows the posture I like. If I wanted a little bit more Multi purpose I'd go the GSA , it is better in the protection area, doesn't handle to bad , and seating position is good. However the Multi is the most engaging bike I have ridden to date !
Thanks man .

psyco screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 08:27 PM
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #2825
delftvanp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Doylestown PA
Oddometer: 98
Hi, my thought or experience, If your passenger is 20 or 25 you will not hear much complaining, however when your partner, spouse or whatever is around 40 or 50 ,all day on a multistrada does not work ,its just not comfy.
My partner and I took a short ride to vanzandts airport [bucks county PA] 2 up on the MTS [she rides her own BMW,] and met another couple on a MTS, and the women asked my partner right away if the ride was comfy?
Not really, was the answer.
The women claimed ,spend hours on the bike with her husband, and did not like it to much.
My own experience riding 2 up and a smile at the end ,was riding a Harley full dresser, and or a Goldwing.
Paul
delftvanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #2826
joef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joef's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Western Ct.
Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by delftvanp View Post
Hi, my thought or experience, If your passenger is 20 or 25 you will not hear much complaining, however when your partner, spouse or whatever is around 40 or 50 ,all day on a multistrada does not work ,its just not comfy.
My partner and I took a short ride to vanzandts airport [bucks county PA] 2 up on the MTS [she rides her own BMW,] and met another couple on a MTS, and the women asked my partner right away if the ride was comfy?
Not really, was the answer.
The women claimed ,spend hours on the bike with her husband, and did not like it to much.
My own experience riding 2 up and a smile at the end ,was riding a Harley full dresser, and or a Goldwing.
Paul
Not so true, my wife spent 5 1/2 hours on the back of my 11' MTS and did not mind, is it a Goldwing no, a full dressed Harley, I hope not, but we will be doing a 5 day northeastern tour of eastern NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine this summer and have all the confidence that it will be comfortable. It all depends on the passanger, my wife is 5' 7 and about 130 lbs, shhhhhh.......
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #2827
psyco
Motard Madness
 
psyco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Not so true, my wife spent 5 1/2 hours on the back of my 11' MTS and did not mind, is it a Goldwing no, a full dressed Harley, I hope not, but we will be doing a 5 day northeastern tour of eastern NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine this summer and have all the confidence that it will be comfortable. It all depends on the passanger, my wife is 5' 7 and about 130 lbs, shhhhhh.......
..... Well that's just about the size my wife is as well , shes no 20-25 year old . So keep the comments a coming , want to hear from all of you with the experience of two up riding with the Multi 1200 .
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #2828
joef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joef's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Western Ct.
Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco View Post
..... Well that's just about the size my wife is as well , shes no 20-25 year old . So keep the comments a coming , want to hear from all of you with the experience of two up riding with the Multi 1200 .
She is also, shhhhhhh!!!!! 47
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #2829
alexhs
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Bristol, Uk
Oddometer: 12
i have so enjoyed reading this forum in a cold and (always) wet uk. I am in the market for a new bike, and the multistrada is a late arrival on my affections.

But first I have to say how much I enjoyed the Aussie road test on page 160. Truly inspirational in so many ways. Got to love that Aussie humour. And any bike that can do that to a girl is awesome. I mean come on guys, not even one comment. !!
I had a Laverda 1200 years ago that did just that to my now wife. You'd think it was bullshit, but honestly there was a sweet spot............the rest is private, but by the look of that test, the sweet spot lives on in a new format.

So, I have a tenere 660z which i bought for a trip to Africa, but now postponed due to business picking up (its a long story). I have a Sports Classic Gt 1000 which is fine.........I did a decent 9000 kms on the tenere last summer through the Balkans (loved Albania and Bosnia) but now looking for something new. Think I'll keep the tenere because I have not given up on the Africa trip and that is I think the best tool for that job, but now looking for something a bit more adventurous and exciting than the GT.

I have to admit to a fondness for twins. Owned many and probably my favourite engine. So, I'm bookiing tests on the S10, the GS1200, the Stelvio NTX (late interest, owned a 850 many years ago), the new 1200 Tiger when it arrives in next two months...........and the MS1200. As I said at the top, I didnt think of the ducati because I was thinking Bosnia..........but what you lucky folk in USA and Aus forget, is that we really have so little wilderness left in Europe, so a road bias is maybe more realistic. I love seeing photos of your trails, but here (save perhaps Spain, Morocco and east Europe) its mainly tarmac, some good some bad.

So. sorry for long ramble, but will be testing the MS1200 very soon and I think thats where I will be going......
alexhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2830
mfaoro
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: the Cascade foothills, WA USA
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco View Post
I have a question for all you Multi 1200 owners , how is the bike for two up riding for all day rides ? I have looked all over for reviews on this and have not found jack . I'm in the market and would like some real feedback from you owners out there that have and do a lot of two up riding . Is it conformable ? Likes , dislikes and so on . Would be much appreciated , I have ridden it and loved everything about it but didn't have the chance to ride it with the wife in tow .

Thanks in advance for any feedback .
The longest trip I have done two up is around seven hours - one of which was on dirt roads up Cottonwood Pass in CO . My wife did not complain of discomfort at all and had a great time. The suspension settings work well. I do have the upgraded DP seat.

RE: the capabilities of the bike:
I have found the MTS to be very capable on dirt roads. I am not going to take the MTS into the same places that I take my KTM 690E but I find it quite able to handle fire/forest roads and even handled some very rocky streambed type roads with a good deal of aplomb.

Michael
__________________
'14 KTM Adv R
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #2831
psyco
Motard Madness
 
psyco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
She is also, shhhhhhh!!!!! 47
Just about ...
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2832
psyco
Motard Madness
 
psyco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro View Post
The longest trip I have done two up is around seven hours - one of which was on dirt roads up Cottonwood Pass in CO . My wife did not complain of discomfort at all and had a great time. The suspension settings work well. I do have the upgraded DP seat.

RE: the capabilities of the bike:
I have found the MTS to be very capable on dirt roads. I am not going to take the MTS into the same places that I take my KTM 690E but I find it quite able to handle fire/forest roads and even handled some very rocky streambed type roads with a good deal of aplomb.

Michael

Thanks
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #2833
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ramv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Castle Rock, Co
Oddometer: 455
I have rode several thousand miles with my wife 2 up. The Multi was her second favorite (next to the GSA) that we sat on in the show rooms. She likes the top box back rest. We have done several 200+ mile days on twisty back roads. We have only rode a bit on dirt roads, she doesn't like off road, but it does ok.

For us, the bike is severely undersprung for 2 up. Especially with gear. Cranking the preload helps a bit, but it still doesn't handle/stop as good as I would hope. I actually find it undersprung for me one up. Should be an easy/relatively cheap fix to go to a stiffer spring, I just haven't put the effort in as I typically don't think of it until I am cranking the preload to the max. (I am 180 lb or so, and she is about 160 lb, so we aren't light).

I found my seat was extremely uncomfortable 2-up, so I bought Air Hawks for both of us. They have been a big help for me, and she says it helps a bit, but still doesn't ride much more then 2 hrs straight. 1 Up I don't need the airhawk. She definitely has fell asleep while riding on smooth roads on hot days.

I also geared down to a 14 t front sprocket which helped for cruising on the interstate in sixth. You still need to a bunch of downshifting to get the revs up for passing 2 up, but it is fairly peppy once you get into triple digits. I would imagine the Concours would have more torque but with the weight disadvantage may not help.

Touring 2 up gets us 25-42 mpg (25 was the coast south of San Francisco, lots of traffic and slow going, 40s in the Colorado mountains where the traffic isn't as bad).

Factory luggage is roomy and stylish (we have the 73 l panniers), but the mounting and latches are pretty terrible. It's all pretty much falling apart on ours,(latches, mounting parts) and the "secondary" latches on the side bags come undone while riding, so although they don't leak when you start the ride, stuff gets wet if you don't stop and check the latches regularly.
__________________
'10 Multistrada 1200 Std ('11 - current) for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post23383292

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #2834
Kieran
n00b
 
Kieran's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 6
Cry Hp

Hi Everyone, new guy here. Have a white 2011 Multistrarda 1200S touring which purchased new December. Have 4500km on the clock. I have come off BMW's for the past 8 years all boxer twins finishing with the R1200R. In there there has been 2 bikes in the garage at the same time and they have been ZX10R's 2004 and 2007 models, so I have got a fair idea of what HP is about.
I'd like to comment on Ramv's statements of the Multi not seeming very powerful to him and I share his sentiments. I to can't feel a significant power increase from 100HP mode to the 150HP mode. Now with saying this I haven't had my bike over 7000RPM because that's about as far as I rev a bike these days. I'm 52 years and have no need to red line a bike and quite frankly if that's where this 150HP comes in then I'm not interested in going there to find it. Even in sport mode the bike (Motor) doesn't light up as I would expect it would. This is the first Ducati I have owned. Have always considered them a wank bike. Most wankers have them that cant ride for shit. I only went for it because I wanted to go over to the adventure sean and did not want the Guganaut GSA. I am some what impressed with the suspension on offer but that's about it. The handling is no leaps and bounds over my sold R12R and same with ride comfort, luggage and finish. So much so if I could turn back the clock I would have kept the R12R. Now been a owner for 4500km would put the R12R in front of the Multi up to 6000rpm. The R12R motor is fatter in all areas up to 6000rpm and has a totally usable motor. Sunday washed the bike by hand and gave it a good clean. Bucket washed it no hose down, got the air compresser to it after wash to blow all leftover water out of her. Go to start the bike and a error DST is displayed on the clock. Rang the place of purchase and they have to get back to me. They don't know what it is. Maybe able to offer advise over the phone or I have to take it back in so they can diagnose the problem. Maybe the motor is still tight and needs heaps more km on her before this motor offers up her HP, I know the Boxers are like that. Have done the screen extentions to it, has made a huge difference. Have some frame oggy knobs on her, and axle knobs to. Would post a pic if new how. Over all have to live with the bike but it's certainly not worth the $29900AU I've sheld out. Oh am concidering putting a corbin seat on her or the Sargent when available because i hate the locked in riding position.
Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #2835
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bails's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wollongong Australia
Oddometer: 394
Kieran You Seem to be an Aussie ? I have owned many bikes, still own a R1200 series. I haven't ridden many bikes as quick as the multi. I have friend with K1300 s and the Multi will climb up the K's arse !! Use your right wrist and you'll find it goes , I've never ridden in any other mode than Touring or Sport . There is no way a R1200 is even close to a Multo, and I'm a die hard BM owner. You either have a bad bike or a riding disability .
__________________
If it has to Be then it's up to Me!
Bikes Multi Strada 1200 BMW GSA
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014