User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #2836
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Kieran-
Find an empty straight road, put the bike in sport mode, get in second gear and pin it until you hit the rev limiter- I think you'll find the power, whether that's usable to you is a different story.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #2837
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
I'd like to comment on Ramv's statements of the Multi not seeming very powerful to him and I share his sentiments. I to can't feel a significant power increase from 100HP mode to the 150HP mode. Now with saying this I haven't had my bike over 7000RPM because that's about as far as I rev a bike these days. I'm 52 years and have no need to red line a bike and quite frankly if that's where this 150HP comes in then I'm not interested in going there to find it. ... Now been a owner for 4500km would put the R12R in front of the Multi up to 6000rpm. The R12R motor is fatter in all areas up to 6000rpm and has a totally usable motor.
Well as I posted for Ramv, here are the power and torque curves in the hi and lo modes:

Source: sportrider.com

So if you usually change up at 6K and never rev beyond 7, it is not surprising you don't get much more power out of the high power mode.

Here is a power curve for the R1200R (different dyno, likely slightly more generous):

Source: motorcycle.com

See - your seat of the pants impression is confirmed. Max torque on each bike is similar, but at 6000rpm the BMW is closer to max torque than the Duc.

The BMW, after all, is about the same 1200cc capacity, runs about the same compression ratio.

The main difference between the two engines, is that the Multi keeps making great torque past 9000 rpm, whereas for the Beemer it is all over by 7500.

Given that power = torque x rpm (divided by whatever constant gives the desired unit of power), that is why the Duc makes much more power.

So yes, if you won't be revving past 7000, you won't get the power you paid for from that desmodromic Testastretta 11.

Moronic screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 07:38 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #2838
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #2839
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sorry Kieran but I have to agree that you either have a bad bike (which I doubt highly) or you have never truely stretched the legs of your Mutley. Open her up past 8k and hold on. And BTW, when you finally stretch the legs on your Mutley you are going to be glad you are locked in that stock seat.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #2840
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
HP = Torque x RPM/5252....so as others have said, the answer is in the RPMs.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #2841
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Hi Everyone, new guy here. Have a white 2011 Multistrarda 1200S touring which purchased new December. Have 4500km on the clock. I have come off BMW's for the past 8 years all boxer twins finishing with the R1200R. In there there has been 2 bikes in the garage at the same time and they have been ZX10R's 2004 and 2007 models, so I have got a fair idea of what HP is about.
I'd like to comment on Ramv's statements of the Multi not seeming very powerful to him and I share his sentiments. I to can't feel a significant power increase from 100HP mode to the 150HP mode. Now with saying this I haven't had my bike over 7000RPM because that's about as far as I rev a bike these days. I'm 52 years and have no need to red line a bike and quite frankly if that's where this 150HP comes in then I'm not interested in going there to find it...........

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2842
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
I'll just add that I am also 52 and although I don't own a Multistrada I've had three test rides on one and I think you'll find that it's about 7,500 rpm where the real action starts, but really ... every time I really opened the throttle I couldn't help laughing out loud literally !

I suggest you put it sport mode, find a quiet piece of road and whack the throttle wide open in second gear and hold it there untill at least 9,500 rpm .. then get back to us.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #2843
Kieran
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks Moronic for your post, there is truly a very good comparison there.
This is where I part from here. Most of you guys are missing the point. Going pass 7000rpm to get more power or to get to the sweet spot puts you way into go to gail leave your bike on the side of the road because you wont be needing it again if caught . As for Bails and yah mate I'm a Aussie also have had a rediculas amount of bikes including a K1200S which by the way is insainly fast ( Heavy but very fast ) and makes power from take off, unlike the Ducati where 4000rpm has to be made before it gets exciting. I can tell the difference from the Multi and the K in straight line power would leave it for dead. If you are poking yours up your mates arse then I'll return your comment and say he is the one with the riding disability ( see making friends already)
I don't want to come on here for the first time and start a bun fight but I just happen to agree with a statement by Ramv.
Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #2844
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
http://www.powerfrkusa.net/dynograph...0s-dyno-chart/

The K1200 s makes similar torque at same RPM as Multi, Power does come in earlier on the K. It is all about power to weight , the K is about 40 kilos heavier than the Multi 1.37 kg/hp for the K and 1.21 kg/hp for the multi . True the K is a fantastic bike I've ridden both, but the Multi is faster up to about 160 k's and much more nimble. My front wheel starts lifting at revs much lower than 7,000 if I give it a fist full. This is not about who can piss the longest, but a statement that the MTS lacks power compared to an R just doesn't make sense to me. I have ridden a GS , RT , R in the 1200 series, GS spent 8 days straight going around NZ 4 weeks ago, no way does it go like the Multi .
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #2845
Kieran
n00b

This is not about who can piss the longest ( Statemant Bails )

I never said the R12R makes more power than the multi. I said the R12R has more power to 6000rpm than the Multi has. I know this for a fact because it is what I just traded. So much so that the guys I ride with most Sundays are saying Kieran you rode the R12R faster than you do the Multi. If you have had as many bikes as you say you have and are what 57? then you should know that there is the track, where all this hipe about HP is given other than a dino, then there is the real world the ROAD! If you have to get a bike ( Multistrada 1200 ) to 7500rpm to get this bike to light up then where in the hell are you going to ride it and for how long on the road. Face it guys it makes it power up the rev range.
Now back to Ramv. This guy that I don't know comes on here and says that he doesn't find the motor explosive and I agree with him maybe he is a guy that just likes to ride around at legal speeds, and has not like me taken it to 9500rpm and hang on because it is Fucken awsome. I've had bikes that make power from takeoff!!! This bike doesn't!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #2846
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
I think the problem here is that the Multistrada has crappy fueling under 3,500rpm. Both the 1200GS and my slightly modified F800GS have vastly better response and pick up from these revs, This is made worse by the interstellar gearing that the MS has ... its so tall that it doesn't really want to behave at 100km/hr in sixth. Having ridden a couple of Multistrada's I can say that it seems some are worse than others at low revs.

This low rpm fueling doesn't bother me, and I will comment that when I rode a 990KTM Adventure I had to use at least 1,000rpm more at low revs than my 800 ... so it's not just Ducati. I still thought that from 4,000rpm on up the MS was incredible, but in standard form you can't open the throttle at 2,000 rpm and expect it to perform like a 1200 BMW ... because it just doesn't!.

I suggest that you could try lower gearing, I think it's so tall to pass emmision and noise tests, and you could look into Fat Ducs ... www.fatducs.com. You could also look at changing exhausts, chips, and lots of things. You could also sell it to me and buy an R1200GS which is probably going to make you a lot happier when you go riding! (If you want to sell I hope it's not black and is an S touring ... cause I want a white or red (Or Pikes Peak) Touring S!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #2847
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Kieran,
No difference between 100 and 150hp settings!!!!! Must be something wrong with your bike. I have an R12GS and from a 5mph roll the Duc will leave the GS like its standing still. I would make sure you are setting the HP modes correctly and then have the dealer check the bike.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #2848
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
This is not about who can piss the longest ( Statemant Bails )......
OK, since you're still on this, I have to ask: Did you test ride the bike before you bought it, because it sounds to me like you either bought it without riding it first, or bought it knowing how it delivers it's power and have now decided that you don't like it. All of that's fine (hell, it's your money), but if you prefer the power delivery of the R or K BMWs, why buy a bike that doesn't deliver that?

The Multi has a superbike motor in it, and even though they've mellowed the valve overlap for more low-end and mid-range power, it will always be a superbike motor and behave like one. Did you expect something different? The HP/torque curves match the BMW R12, and then keeps going up to 10k RPM vs. being done by 7K. In the real world, the Multi will SPANK the R12GS in both acceleration AND handling (I put 20k miles on my GS before getting the Multi).

I'm not sure what there is to complain about, but if you don't like the Multi, sell it and go get another BMW.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #2849
Kieran
n00b

Hay listen mate don't treat me like a dickhead, I'm only commenting on my bike. At the moment I have a error code come up on the dash DES which I have had it back but need to take it back next tuesday because they don't know how to clear it so they need to go through a process of illimination. Maybe there is something wrong with my bike not allowing it to be a superbike, the same with Ramv's bike. There's 2 of us commenting about it so what's that make us both fuckheads ah!
In future to keep the brother hood what do you want us to agree with what's ever posted
Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #2850
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Your thoughts about your Multistrada please

Hey there inmates. Sorry to be an absolute lazy prick but I just want a bit of advice and this is the best place to get it.

I currently own a 950 and 2010 SuperTen. Sold the 950 today and am contemplating on spending some coin on the SuperTen to get it up to speed. Don't get me wrong, the SuperTen is a great bike but it is a little heavy and not as comfortable as I would have liked, ergos are not quite right. I am about to modify the SuperTen, exhaust, wheels, seat, suspension etc.

I currently reside in Brisbane, Australia and I am looking for a really comfortable bike that can mile munch easily in comfort and will do those firetrails and dirt roads if needed which I do a bit of. Comfort is high on the priority as my back if totally fucked from being a Military parachutist and I cannot give up the bikes.

I still have a CRF450 with rear cushhub drive for short trips and those gnarly weekends when I really want to stir up my back.

Can the Multistrada be fitted with dual sport tyres and if so how does she handle the dirt or is she mainly road orientated. Last thing I want to do is trade my SuperTen in on a bike that is going to have the front tyre wash out on every corner on the dirt at high speed. (approx 120+kph) for miles and miles and how do they handle with a decent load on them.

Have any of the owners here on this forum tried to modify the bikes wheel combinations to make it more suitable for adventure style riding (21" front and 18"rear combination) through Woody's wheels.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated about your bikes performances particularly on dirt.

I plan to ride one in the morning to make my final decision as well as read this thread from back to front and take your advice.

Cheers guys,

Johnnie