User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #2866
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,098
My "DES" error experience

A few months ago while wrenching on my MTS1200S, I had the battery disconnected for the work I was doing. I reconnected battery and powered up the bike when it was still on the center stand (i.e. rear suspension fully extended), and got the "DES Error"...

WTF? Never had a problem before...

Put the bike back down on the side stand, powered up, and...no error at all. Never happened again. Fingers crossed.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #2867
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc321 View Post
I don't wish to alarm you but here's my story regarding the DES Preload error.
Last september my 1200s showed this error.
Since then my dealer has changed the rear shock ecu twice,the rear shock twice,
put new clocks on and finally fitted a complete new wiring loom.
The bike finally came back to me 3 weeks ago and touch wood ,so far so good.
Still the best bike I've ever had,but not without a warranty.
Incidentally my dealer,Ducati Leeds have been brilliant throughout
with what seemed to be little or no help from Ducati UK.
They even supplied and fitted a new back tyre F.O.C because of the hassle I'd had.
Good luck.
I know there are good arguments for paying $5,000 more to get theses errors , but these posts just confirm my decision not to have this option and the reasons why. In any case the bike is a great bike.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #2868
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Sold GS for Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think it would be a much shorter list, and you may be the only one on it as I've not heard of anyone else going 1200 Multi -> BMW GS. Both are very good bikes though, so it's all good.

-SM
Sold my 2007 GS in May of 2011, it did have it's share of issues and 1 that left me standed, but that is not why I sold it. Rather, space and weight were the issue - too wide and too heavy for my present needs. Great bike and wouldn't have anything else if the present width and weight requirements change.

After I sold the bike, bought a BMW F800G which fit my present needs. Big mistake, hated most everything about the bike. It is now living at someone elses house. It's a good bike for what it was designed to do and evenr thought it fit my width and weight requirments, just did nothing for me.

Looking for something that would suite my fancy, tested the Yamaha ST, KTM SMT, but when I rode the Ducati Multistrada ST I just couldn't stop grinning. Had a very, very difficult time trying to hide my excitement from the sales guy when purchaseing the bike.

I can not remember a time in my life that I've enjoyed riding more - been riding since 1963 and have had the pleasure of owning several bikes, but have had BMW since 1995 - the first being the RJ100GSPD in black - wish I still had it, but I regress. At the end of the day at work, my mind drifts and can thinking of nothing other than gettting home and firing up that red headed bitch. Once out of the drive way, day to day life is forgotten and boyhood has returned.
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #2869
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastjunebug View Post
Sold my 2007 GS in May of 2011, it did have it's share of issues and 1 that left me standed, but that is not why I sold it. Rather, space and weight were the issue - too wide and too heavy for my present needs. Great bike and wouldn't have anything else if the present width and weight requirements change.

After I sold the bike, bought a BMW F800G which fit my present needs. Big mistake, hated most everything about the bike. It is now living at someone elses house. It's a good bike for what it was designed to do and evenr thought it fit my width and weight requirments, just did nothing for me.

Looking for something that would suite my fancy, tested the Yamaha ST, KTM SMT, but when I rode the Ducati Multistrada ST I just couldn't stop grinning. Had a very, very difficult time trying to hide my excitement from the sales guy when purchaseing the bike.

I can not remember a time in my life that I've enjoyed riding more - been riding since 1963 and have had the pleasure of owning several bikes, but have had BMW since 1995 - the first being the RJ100GSPD in black - wish I still had it, but I regress. At the end of the day at work, my mind drifts and can thinking of nothing other than gettting home and firing up that red headed bitch. Once out of the drive way, day to day life is forgotten and boyhood has returned.
Perfect description...my feelings exactly. Makes any road fun.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2870
martys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm curious about the DES Errors being reported, taking a quick scan on the ducati.ms site I didn't find any mention of them. I have 22,000 miles on my MTS1200s and never had a single problem with the electronics or the suspension in any way. I love the capabilities it brings to the bike and how the on the fly options enhance every ride. My bike is a 2010 from the original launch and was the first one delivered in Seattle so if there were going to be any early defects, I think I would have hit them. The only thing that has broken on me during a trip is the center stand spring. Twice. While annoying, I would hardly call this a debilitating failure. The bike is not flawless, but no bike is.

There are more comfortable bikes out there, there are faster bikes out there, there are more off road capable bikes out there. But for me, this bike is the most fun I've every had.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #2871
psyco
Motard Madness

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the info guys , here she is ...

psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #2872
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:

ROFL. Demo rides on Multis should be illegal. One hit and you're hooked!

I'd be interested to hear your comparison between the Multi, Yam S10, and KTM SMT. I've not ridden the S10 or SMT and have wondered how they might compare.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #2873
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
I'm curious about the DES Errors being reported, taking a quick scan on the ducati.ms site I didn't find any mention of them. I have 22,000 miles on my MTS1200s and never had a single problem with the electronics or the suspension in any way. I love the capabilities it brings to the bike and how the on the fly options enhance every ride. My bike is a 2010 from the original launch and was the first one delivered in Seattle so if there were going to be any early defects, I think I would have hit them. The only thing that has broken on me during a trip is the center stand spring. Twice. While annoying, I would hardly call this a debilitating failure. The bike is not flawless, but no bike is.

There are more comfortable bikes out there, there are faster bikes out there, there are more off road capable bikes out there. But for me, this bike is the most fun I've every had.
There have been a few folks reporting DES errors over on Ducati.ms. Some have had it taken care of with a new rear shock, new ECU, or both (all under warranty of course), but others are still struggling with it.

Like you, I have a 2010 w/ DES, and so far so good (touch wood). I got the bike this time last year, have 9k miles on it, and so far it's been great. Consumes zero oil (my BMW R12GS consumed 1/2 liter of oil every 1k miles even after 20k miles....all "within spec" per BMW ) and no odd errors, etc. The only issue I've had is the fuel sender went wonky on me, but they replaced it under warranty and the new one has been perfect. Oh....I did install the DP hands free gas cap....big mistake. Failed on me and I couldn't put gas in the bike! Managed to get home, pulled it off, and put the keyed cap back on.....problem solved.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #2874
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Being in the older vintage I thought this post really described what I like about the MTS. Also a BM owner of many years, still own one ! I use the word engageing that's how I see a ride on the MTS.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #2875
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco View Post
Thanks for the info guys , here she is ...

It seems only Amercan's can ride with a barn door. I can never ride looking through a screen , but I notice a lot of the US folk do even on Adventure type bikes. I put it down to the fact you have 8 lane roads everywhere and can cruise a warp speed ??
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #2876
psyco
Motard Madness

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
It seems only Amercan's can ride with a barn door. I can never ride looking through a screen , but I notice a lot of the US folk do even on Adventure type bikes. I put it down to the fact you have 8 lane roads everywhere and can cruise a warp speed ??

No I don't care for the barn-door , the guy I bought it from had it on there . This is the way she came .
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #2877
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post

I had this error and needed a new shock ecu. Since then it has been fine. I have a June 2010 bike. The error occurred around 18000 miles, and it's been another 10k without issue. I have no other electronics issues. I think these kinds of issues are a good argument for an extended warranty.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #2878
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Yep....said the same at the time they announced it. It's definitely the best color for that bike.

Carbon bits would look pretty sweet on it as well.
i was WRONG on that call....don't like the idea of carbon AT ALL on the Titanium bike, and believe it or not, the flat black plastics look the part against the matte Ti paint. and believe me, i'm not saying that to justify getting out of spending $2k on carbon plastics. depending on the lighting, the bike can be dark grey, silvery, and even bronze, it simply makes it that much more interesting to look at (i still don't consider it a good looking motorcycle, but at least it's now tolerable to me).

the Ti looks great in my eyes, unique at the very least.

here's mine being un-crated a couple of days ago,

Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #2879
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i was WRONG on that call....don't like the idea of carbon AT ALL on the Titanium bike, and believe it or not, the flat black plastics look the part against the matte Ti paint. and believe me, i'm not saying that to justify getting out of spending $2k on carbon plastics. depending on the lighting, the bike can be dark grey, silvery, and even bronze, it simply makes it that much more interesting to look at (i still don't consider it a good looking motorcycle, but at least it's now tolerable to me).

the Ti looks great in my eyes, unique at the very least.

here's mine being un-crated a couple of days ago,

I like it....RT gone already?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #2880
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 932
Excuse me if this has been asked/answered before

...but I was wondering if anyone had fitted a 19 or 21" front wheel and narrower rear rim/tire, and maybe longer forks or shock to improve the dirtability of the multi.