Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #2881
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,160
Just watched the factory tour on building the MTS12 National Geographic Channel HD, I want my MTS12 back. LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #2882
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i was WRONG on that call....don't like the idea of carbon AT ALL on the Titanium bike, and believe it or not, the flat black plastics look the part against the matte Ti paint. and believe me, i'm not saying that to justify getting out of spending $2k on carbon plastics. depending on the lighting, the bike can be dark grey, silvery, and even bronze, it simply makes it that much more interesting to look at (i still don't consider it a good looking motorcycle, but at least it's now tolerable to me).

the Ti looks great in my eyes, unique at the very least.

here's mine being un-crated a couple of days ago,
I definately agree. That colour doesn't need any carbon. Thats a great saving!

So far on my 1200S touring I have done

Snout (and associated wingflaps)
Front mudguard- the top of the front and rear (keeping the white on the original)
Rear hugger
and today added the tank protector (pics below)

Also fitted the SW Motech crash bars today

Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #2883
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickywicket View Post

Always wondered how that tank cover would look on the white. Thanks for the pic: I like it.

Quote:

oalvarez, I'm losing count.

Is that your third MTS12? What keeps bringing you back?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #2884
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
...but I was wondering if anyone had fitted a 19 or 21" front wheel and narrower rear rim/tire, and maybe longer forks or shock to improve the dirtability of the multi.
As far as I know, no one has done this. I don't believe there are any previous Ducati models that have 19-21" fronts that will fit, and the same goes for a 150mm rear. However, now that Conti has announced their TKC 80 (as well as their Trail Attack) in sizes that will fit our bike, I'm not sure different wheels are needed. The 17" front does surprisingly well off-road, and I think going to a 19"+ would ruin the Multi's excellent road handling. If you REALLY want a 19" front, I think Woody at Woody's Wheel Works could do it, but the price may be

Re. the TKC 80's, 3 notes: First, they're not due out until March/April. Second, you will have to raise the front fender and possibly reroute the crossover brake line and ABS line. And third, the rear TKC is a 180 vs a 190, but it should work just fine. There's a thread about a guy who put the TKC 80 150mm on his Mutley and rode it through S. Africa with no problems, so I'm fairly sure the 180 would be OK.

On the suspension question, I'm sure Ohlins would be able to provide you with something longer at both ends, but again I've not heard of anyone doing this, and I could see the cost being quite high. By the time you did this and did custom wheels, you might as well have put a KTM in the shed and be done with it...... , which is something I've been toying with but I think the Mrs would have me sleeping in the shed with the bikes if I pulled the trigger.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #2885
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
i was WRONG on that call....don't like the idea of carbon AT ALL on the Titanium bike, and believe it or not, the flat black plastics look the part against the matte Ti paint. and believe me, i'm not saying that to justify getting out of spending $2k on carbon plastics. depending on the lighting, the bike can be dark grey, silvery, and even bronze, it simply makes it that much more interesting to look at (i still don't consider it a good looking motorcycle, but at least it's now tolerable to me).

the Ti looks great in my eyes, unique at the very least.

Congrats on Multi #3!

And you are right. The matte Ti looks VERY nice w/ the flat black plastics. Whether carbon would add or detract from the Ti is yet to be seen, but it certainly isn't something I would run out and buy. The Ti is that purdy...

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #2886
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 962
Reposted to unbury it

...was wondering if anyone had fitted a 19 or 21" front wheel and narrower rear rim/tire, and maybe longer forks or shock to improve the dirtability of the multi.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #2887
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
I usually don't like blingey things but that carbon tank cover would keep my tank plastics looking new, I ride with a tank bag 90% of the time.

Who makes it?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #2888
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
pics of new 120-17" & 180-17" tck-80 from the dealer show
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #2889
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I usually don't like blingey things but that carbon tank cover would keep my tank plastics looking new, I ride with a tank bag 90% of the time.

Who makes it?
I took a bit of a gamble and bought from Italy ebay. Great part and quick delivery to UK. Saved about 80 on Ducati part.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250993660487
Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #2890
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
No problem with the 180 rear. I have had a 180 PR2 for 6000 miles. The traction control doesn't appear any more or less sucky with it or the 190. I turned it off a while ago, and its much better. (Neither the stock tires or 180 PR were usable on rough roads with the traction control on. I tried all the settings and am much happier off. I still leave it on 2 up though, just in case)

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2891
@flyknot
@flyknot

Oddometer: 2
Matte Ti MTS 1200S Touring

I agree as well, picked up my MTS a week ago last Thursday. Carbon Fiber will not do it justice. I am trying to figure out two things though, so any input is welcome... 1) What upgrade windshield to go with...MRA? 2) Tank protector? I did go with the Givi Tanklock Tank Bag, doesn't touch the paint. Best Motorcycle I have ever owned.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #2892
Kieran
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickywicket View Post
kieran

I too have the DES error. mine is pre load which the dealer was investigating before they went bust. happens when try to change out of Urban mode and then clears when switch off the bike for a while. means being stuck in urban until I stop the bikeMy nearest dealer now is 2 hours away so would appreciate if you could keep us informed if you manage to get the DES rectified. Over on Ducati.ms there are a number of cases but were all rectified by a different solution

Anyone else had this and found a solution?

Thanks
Ok, it has taken this long to find out the DES error on my bike.
First I'd like to say that the machanics are flying blind in this area.
I went back to place of purchase and they hooked it up to the diagnostic equipment and from there it was a process of illimination.
They had to send off with the error codes to other ducati franchises to get a reply on what they had found.
Turns out to be the ohlins control unit. They know this now for a fact because they took one off there on floor new bikes and replaced it in mine and everything worked.
I have to wait 4 week minimum for the new unit but they are telling me that the new unit has upgrades to it. So unless your unit shits itself the upgrade is not avalable. I don't know the cost of the unit but will ask once my bike goes back in.
Hope this is the last of this electronic crap, if it happens again bikes gone.
Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #2893
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,224
Really?

"Hope this is the last of this electronic crap, if it happens again bikes gone"... Better start picking a new bike or enjoy a fantastic bike. Could have got a base with no DES and not had the issue.
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #2894
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by @flyknot View Post
I agree as well, picked up my MTS a week ago last Thursday. Carbon Fiber will not do it justice. I am trying to figure out two things though, so any input is welcome... 1) What upgrade windshield to go with...MRA? 2) Tank protector? I did go with the Givi Tanklock Tank Bag, doesn't touch the paint. Best Motorcycle I have ever owned.
Congrats!

As for the windscreen, you will find many different suggestions ranging from home-cobbled fixes to what helmet to wear. Do a search for the subject over at Ducati.MS. There are many variables to be considered, but the MRA Touring screen was good enough for me.

Enjoy,

(thanks, SM!)
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #2895
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
you also might look into the "Aztec Spacers" on Ducati.MS as well....

took the coastal route home from Santa Barbara today...

oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote