Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #2941
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
Is this bike well sorted at low rpm's from the factory these days? Looking at the forums and it seems like some people have done ecu work but then also that Ducati has made adjustments. Gonna put a serious dent in the buying experience if I end up spending 20k to then find I have to put additional money into tuning just to have it run right at regular street rpm's.

Some people love to do ecu work and are trying to get more of something out of it and that is great. I just want a smooth engine (for a twin). Will I get that out of the box?
My wife and I took a nice around town, 20 miles or so, on a New 2012 Multi Fri. We were in traffic a lot and much of the ride was at slow speed. I didn't have any trouble at low RPM's. The bike is great fun and really wants to go fast tho. I think we are going to get one soon.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2942
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,371
I'm looking at a used 2010 Multi with Termi's, out of state. The bike has only 2,100 miles on it. The suspicious side of me wonders how such a great bike could only have 2,000 miles in 2 years and why it would be traded in so quickly.

Are you guys seeing any issues with these bikes after the Termi's are installed that I should watch out for ? Any other issue I should be concerned with ?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #2943
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Keith, Have had zero full Termi issues since placing it almost two years ago.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #2944
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
The race ecu got an update late 2010 or early 2011, cant remember. If the bike has a full Termi it should have the race ecu also. The update corrected 90% of my bikes fueling issues at low rpm's. Keep in mind it is a Ducati with a termi which isnt always synonymous with being perfectly smooth.

The only real issue I have is keeping the front tire on the ground and the grin off my face.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #2945
wheels
Practicing to retire

Oddometer: 143
Just got back from a trip down to Baja and couldn't be happier with the Multi. I love that there's no speed enforcement down there, the multi will run all day at 100mph no problem and do ok on the pot holed stuff. Because there were some long stretches without a gas station I also ran it on roadside 55 gallon gas with no problems.
I've also had zero termi issues and it went on at about 2500 miles. Actually there is one issue, it melts the reflector.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2946
Tillerman
DucDude

Oddometer: 30
[QUOTE=Dave.0;16265010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I'm familiar with your rear tire, is it a Michelin Pilot road? How much does the oem Pirelli rear last? Thanks![/QUOTE

I think most people are getting around 5000 miles on the OEM scorpion trail back tire and maybe twice as long on the front. You can also burn them up in 1500 miles if you try. I just took off my third back tire and are in the process of mounting the fourth. I like the tire fine for the grip and wet weather handling - but I have had to replace 2 prematurely because I got flats that could not be repaired. Not really punctures, but slices. Maybe its a coincidence but I think not. I'm going to mount some Dunlop 616s and give them a try. I was wondering if anyone else thought the pirelli scorpions were "flat prone"
Yes, I also wondered about the OEM Pirelli Scorpions being "flat prone" after a first flat after less than 1,000 miles on the 1st original back tire and then another flat after less than 1,500 miles on the 2nd new tire. So I was on my 3rd new rear tire after less than 2,500 miles (4,000 km).

Both flats happened on dirt roads but one of the reasons for buying the MTS was to explore the many dirt roads in Eastern Canada including the Trans-Labrador... now I'm wondering if I could get knobbies on her?... Of course the dealer told me I had just been unlucky...
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #2947
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
with regard to the flats - much better luck with the Dunlop 616

Got almost 7000 miles on my last 616 rear, but it was past skunked

its a better dirt road tire than the scorpion, and a good wet weather tire, as a pure sport tire its not as good with some noticeable tread squirm
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #2948
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,371
[QUOTE=Tillerman;18326083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post

Yes, I also wondered about the OEM Pirelli Scorpions being "flat prone" after a first flat after less than 1,000 miles on the 1st original back tire and then another flat after less than 1,500 miles on the 2nd new tire. So I was on my 3rd new rear tire after less than 2,500 miles (4,000 km).

Both flats happened on dirt roads but one of the reasons for buying the MTS was to explore the many dirt roads in Eastern Canada including the Trans-Labrador... now I'm wondering if I could get knobbies on her?... Of course the dealer told me I had just been unlucky...
MT60's may be the only option right now for a little more dirt worthinesss but they are still a handful in the dirt, and I mean dirt roads, may not get 1500 miles out of them..very soft..Francois at Dualsporttouring.com says he wil be able to get TKC80's on June 15th
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #2949
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
I'm looking at a used 2010 Multi with Termi's, out of state. The bike has only 2,100 miles on it. The suspicious side of me wonders how such a great bike could only have 2,000 miles in 2 years and why it would be traded in so quickly.

Are you guys seeing any issues with these bikes after the Termi's are installed that I should watch out for ? Any other issue I should be concerned with ?

Thanks.
I bought mine with 800 miles and a full Termi. Fueling was bad before update, now its OK but will not hang out at 2.5k like some suggest. I had FatDucs on it before but took them off, I'm thinking I will put them back on again to clean up the low end again. It just smelled like it was so rich with them and the Termis on it.

And yeah, the Termi melts/discolors the right rear turn signal.

I wish I could have had my bike with the stock exhaust for a while but I don't want to go through the trouble of re-installing it to see how it is at this point.

I wouldn't worry about the low miles. Mine is about 18 months old and only has 4000 miles on it. Lots of owners probably have multiple bikes.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #2950
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:

its a better dirt road tire than the scorpion, and a good wet weather tire, as a pure sport tire its not as good with some noticeable tread squirm
My issue with the D616 is the front tire with that sipe right down the center. Around here we have rain grooves in the cement freeways and most were put there by a drunken monkey so they aren't close to straight. I find tires with that kind of tread really want to follow those grooves, and that's no fun (and it gets REALLY dicey splitting lanes 'cause the tire wants to follow the gap between the lanes! ). Have you had any issues like this with yours?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #2951
Tillerman
DucDude

Quote:

Is yours a MTS 1200? If so what size rear D616 did/do you have ? 190/55 -ZR17 ?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #2952
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock monkey View Post
congrats, but do not go out there and drone for 1000 miles to break her in. Get on the back roads and hammer up/down through the gears, lots of accel/decel to really slam the rings against that nice fresh hone to get a good fit and seal. I did that and mine hasn't used a teaspoon of oil in 10k miles, and it goes like a scalded cat. Power wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with no problemo......

-sm
+1
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #2953
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
My issue with the D616 is the front tire with that sipe right down the center. Around here we have rain grooves in the cement freeways and most were put there by a drunken monkey so they aren't close to straight. I find tires with that kind of tread really want to follow those grooves, and that's no fun (and it gets REALLY dicey splitting lanes 'cause the tire wants to follow the gap between the lanes! ). Have you had any issues like this with yours?

-SM
you should try grated suspension bridges, they really suck on those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman View Post
Is yours a MTS 1200? If so what size rear D616 did/do you have ? 190/55 -ZR17 ?
yeah, a 1200
went with a 180 rear, works well with no issues - I think the 190 rear is a bit too big anyway
I run the tire pressures at 31 front, 34 rear based on recs from people using them on the previous generation multistrada - sounds low, but works well and gives longer tire life
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #2954
Tillerman
DucDude

Quote:
you should try grated suspension bridges, they really suck on those

yeah, a 1200
went with a 180 rear, works well with no issues - I think the 190 rear is a bit too big anyway
I run the tire pressures at 31 front, 34 rear based on recs from people using them on the previous generation multistrada - sounds low, but works well and gives longer tire life
Thanx, been debating between the 180 and 190 rear myself.

Did you stick to factory settings after you put on the Dunlops or what settings did you change (DTC, ABS, etc.)?

I presume 31F/34R pressure you mention is for tarmac. What would you typically reduce that to, if at all, on a gravel road - i.e. not sand, mud or silt offroad trails but never-ending gravel roads of variable depth, compaction and water content?...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #2955
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
Any bike with low air pressure and flat center tyres will do that. Increase the tyre air pressure and replace this tyre and your problem will disappear.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote